Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share #2

Page 27 of 37 (542 items) « First ... < Previous 25 26 27 28 29 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 541 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 5:14 AM

Jeanine:
I am going to back away from this site and focus on a limited number of things in my life.

I'll look forward to seeing more of your amazing quilts for a cause on your Facebook pages!  We'll miss you here!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 8:30 PM

Thanks for your encouragement, Eileen and Nancy.  Unfortunately, there is only so much energy to go around! 

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 68
Points 2,785
Eva replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 6:24 PM

Im going to be joining you all soon as "Longarmers".  Im in the process of purchasing a Gammill Statler Stitcher 26-10.  Approval process - done!  Document processing fee - done!  10 more pages of paper work to go and first and last payments ($$).  So excited - lots of learning to complish.  

Doing a longarm certification class next weekend (23rd).   

Any advice??

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705
Michelle replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 6:49 PM
take a notebook with you to write out lots of instructions on how to load the quilt. That was the hardest for me to learn at first. Now it's easy but it didn't make sense to me at first. Also, the maintenance part, my husband went with me and made sure he understood that part!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 9:13 PM

You could even ask them if you could take pictures of the steps as they demo to help you remember back home.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 708
Points 13,780

Eva, a really good book is "Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilting" by Linda Taylor. She has an excellent section on loading the quilt. She also has a section on starting a business. I use that book more than the manual that comes with the Gammill. Good luck!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 237
Points 4,290
Christine replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:18 PM

Hi Eva!  How's it going?  Congrats on the new long arm! 

I use the same book Carol mentioned.  I'm starting to work with rulers.  Thea sent some wonderful Christmas tops I'm working on now.  I'll post some photos soon... I'm putting crosshatching around her applique designs with rulers I bought at the Mid Atlantic quilt festival last weekend. 

Let us know how it's going?  I'd love to see what you've started working on.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 38,405
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:24 PM

we'll miss your beautiful quilts and knowledgable posts around here.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,029
Points 28,625
Ramona replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:04 PM

Jeanine,

Oh my goodness. I understand completely but what am I going to do without you?? We'll all miss you very much. Hope you at least check in once and a while.

Take care and hugs to you!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 50
JP replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 10:15 PM

I have a Lenni long arm.  I have been quilting on it for a year and a half.  I have finish approx 300 quilts on my Lenni.  I do quilts for clients plus for myself plus for the Rescue Mission, plus for our church ministry.  It is the only long arm I have used.  It is a dream machine.  I never have problems with tension, or thread breaking.  I have a 10 ft table which will do a king quilt.  I love free motion and pantographs.  I was a little nervous about the pantographs but now have conquered them.  I love my long arm and hope I can be doing this for a long time.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 237
Points 4,290

Hi JP, wow, 300 quilts?  That's one every 2 days practically!  I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your sewing room.  :~)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,269
Points 35,190
Granny M replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:36 AM

Like Jeanine, I have not been on line very much lately,  Been really busy with Hospice quilts, client quilts, my own quilts and remodeling of my quilt studio.  no internet at the studio, so I have just pure sewing time.  Then for some reason my DH feels I should spend the evening with him and poof there goes my internet time.  I miss talking with everyone and all the help.

JP, 300 quilts, Lordy you must be young and full of energy.  I think that would be all I would get done if I tried for that number.  Then I would probably collapse and never move again. 

Right now I am trying to get a quilt done to put in our Regional Quilt show on March 16th.  Also have 2 client quilts and 6 Hospice quilts to do aftrer that.  Don't  you just love it.   I saw where someone was starting with rulers.  Here is a quilt I finished a few months ago using a ruler. It takes a little getting use to but once you do it goes really fast, especially these stars which are a Kimmy Brunner technique that was shown on QNN  and now is being taught in a craftsy class.

Catch you all later.

Granny M

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 237
Points 4,290

I bought a slew of new rulers at the Mid Atlantic quilt festival last weekend, and I was sooo pumped to get busy using them today.  My ruler hopper foot came UPS on Friday... but it doesn't fit.  The foot hits the screw on the needle bar.  Waaahaaahaaa!

Oh well... life happens and we deal with it, right?  :~) 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 708
Points 13,780

Please forgive me if this has been discussed in the past. I couldn't find anything in previous posts.

My problem occurs when I get to the lower borders, attached to the leader, when quilting on the longarm. I guess the quilting of the center of the quilt pulls the top in toward the middle. The last borders are stretched out and larger than the quilt center. I baste the sides as I progress through the quilt and I use the clamps to hold the sides of the quilt bottom and batting in place. Not sure if it would help to clamp the sides of the top, too.

Anyway, what can I do to prevent the bottom border from ending up stretched out? Sometimes I have trouble quilting the borders without getting folds in them.

Thanks!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 9:11 AM

Hi Carol, I now what you are talking about, I have had the same problem. I find the only way to fix that is to baste my quilt all the way down before I start quilting. If I am going to be doing quilting in each individual block I stitch in the ditch around each block before I start quilting. This keeps it from being sucked into the middle of the quilt.

Page 27 of 37 (542 items) « First ... < Previous 25 26 27 28 29 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use