Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share #2

Page 25 of 37 (542 items) « First ... < Previous 23 24 25 26 27 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 541 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 11:34 AM

Snugglebug Quilter:

Hi Jeanine.  So you think a panto?  I know QoV doesn't like just plain meandering....maybe something with stars and loops?  And do you think I should just go over everything?  I'm completely stumped!

I would definitely use a panto.  QoV doesn't mind a meander as long as it is professionally done.  They don't want a huge meander but a nice, evenly spaced meander would be fine.  Or a meander with stars or loops and stars is fine. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705
Michelle replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:14 PM

I especially love the backing. I have pieced a few but am using this more lately. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 7:06 AM

Michelleicurn:

I especially love the backing. I have pieced a few but am using this more lately. 

It is such a great way to use up the scrap and limit the pile of scraps building in your stash!  Frugal and modern.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705
Michelle replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 7:26 AM

When you piece your backs like this, do you make a plan for them, or are you just adding the pieces in strips until you get a large enough backing? I have been adding them in large strips either horizontally or vertically. Usually I try to add the last border piece large enough to come around to the front to be my binding, so I don't have to buy extra material for the binding. So my binding looks more like a wide blanket binding. I also leave a wider batting so it will be enclosed in the binding also.  I know that's not how most quilts are done, but I really like the effect. 

I am enjoying this blog, I haven't been involved in one before, so really enjoying reading all the comments and learning new tips. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 10:33 AM

I don't "plan" well usually.  For my son's quilt, I sorted the leftovers by size because there were several that were leftovers of cuts in specific sizes.  These were all sewn together.  When I had several rows of different widths, I sewed them together.  Then just kept building on it until it was big enough. 

We do a lot of small quilts for charity.  I keep a bin of leftover full width flannel strips of various sizes and will sit and sew them into rows for either another quilt or for backing.  This works great for quilts under 40" wide.

I also take up the backing fabric for binding on many of the charity quilts we do.  It is faster and easier and I don't think it takes away from the quilt.  For my personal quilts or for gifts, I usually don't do this because I like the look of binding. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 200

Do you have any trouble with the backs getting wavy on you with the pieced backing..??

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 1:01 PM

Tammy Cummins:

Do you have any trouble with the backs getting wavy on you with the pieced backing..??

A little but not so much that it puckers.  It quilts nice on the longarm.  You should still take care to trim and measure the pieces of the back and pay attention to your seam allowance.  And then square up your finished, pressed back.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Michelleicurn, it is nice to meet you!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Tammy, it is nice to meet you. I piece all my backs - not like blocks but large pieces of fabric from the front and then I put a border around the whole thing that is usually 15 or 20" - since I have a quilt machine and frame 3" all the way around ends up being cut off. I generally just plan as I go working with what I have.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:13 PM

My stepson loved his Batman quilt...and so did my grandson.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,750
Points 364,907
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 3:18 AM

Very cool. There was no doubt this quilt would be loved. Thanks for the photos.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 12:36 AM

Made this top tonight.  The pattern was in a Quilty magazine last summer and I bought the fabric in Kalispell, MT.  I plan to quilt it with vertical lines.  I hope the quilting helps it because I am not impressed yet.  But it is different for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,392
Points 175,343
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 7:48 AM

Jeanine, I like the colors and I'm sure when you finish it, it will be a beauty.  I haven't sen anything you've made not turn out wonderful.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,392
Points 175,343
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 7:50 AM

Very pretty , Jeanine, love the colors.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I can see why your SS loves the quilt it is wonderful. Your GS is so cute and he looks so comfy in the quilt.

Page 25 of 37 (542 items) « First ... < Previous 23 24 25 26 27 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use