Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share #2

Page 18 of 40 (586 items) « First ... < Previous 16 17 18 19 20 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 585 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:36 AM

Christine:    Beautiful quilt, love the quilting.   While the others on here have more experience that me, I have found two things when using different weight threads.

1.  50 wgt is thinner than forty, so I use a smaller needle (#16) and have to tighten the tension on my bobbin.

2.  Then have to tighten top tension,  this usually takes 3 clicks or 4 to the right on my Jewel.

I put on a scrap and check til I have it right.

Judy Lee & Jeanine, can you believe I have actully gotten to where I can and will change the bobbin, I know you two can remember when I was terrified to even touch it.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,577
Points 246,512
Thea replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:52 AM

Christine - your QOV is beautiful - I can not help you with the breaking thread - I would say a larger needle would maybe work better - but - at the same time I am thinking maybe a sharp needle if you are not using one - I have had talks with a sewing machine tech about the type of needle we use and not just the size of the needle - I would have to look up the specifics on this - about the pointed needle as opposed to the rounded head needle - the universal or quilting or sharp or metallic... I think he told me to use a sharp or universal - as you don't want to use too big a needle as you are putting  hole in the quilt and the smaller the needle the more it will close up over time... 

I do have a question for you longarmers out there... Christine is quilting a quilt of mine next and I - sad to say - yes me - sad to say - sent her one that has a wavy border - I hadn't noticed that it was wavy when I made it - you don't notice this when you are making one but you sure do notice it when a long arm quilter loads it on her machine - I don't think it is severely bad but bad enough - Can you give her any ideas on how to deal with this - or should she just take it off and send the top - back to me to take the borders off and redo - I think there is just a little fullness there and am wondering if you have some sort of trick that you do to spread the fullness out - 

Christine should be able to tell you more - I worked on this problem all last night in my sleep trying to figure out what I did to cause this and think that because I have had to reduce my space where I actually work that I didn't cut these strips with just folding the fabric once but I had folded it several times and I think I didn't quite get it on the straight of grain down the lengthwise length.  so I got more bias then should be - so have solved that problem here at my home #2 and I had stopped pinning my borders from the center out and just sewed them down with a pin at each end - that I can rectify here...I can get back to not rushing - remember I have always said quilting teaches me patience and instead of rushing when I get to the last step of the border I will slow down again and pin those borders on - that is always the best thing to do - wishful thinking that I could leave this step out...

But that doesn't help Christine with this quilt.  It isn't a quilt that is leaving my house so anything that she can do is fine with me - I am truly not worried about it - so am wondering if there is something that long arms do to ease in without pleating a border to take care  of a problem like this??? WE all learn together and this is a learning thing for me(an old dog quilter) and Christine...

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 11:31 AM

Thea,

If it isn't too bad, she might be able to keep the fullness out of the borders. The thing she wants to NOT do is smooth the borders towards the bottom of the quilt. This will really throw things off. I'm sure she knows that any fullness has to stay within the body of the quilt and try to keep the seam lines straight.  She should smooth the borders to the side, keeping the edge of the quilt straight and the border line straight. This will show the fullness that needs to be worked in. Any fullness in the border has to worked in where it is. It can't be pushed outside of the quilt edges or smoothed below (if that makes sense).  If it turns out to have more fullness then you think, as the longarm frame will certainly bring it to light, she could make a pleat/seam in the border but once it gets on the frame she would have to do it by hand or take it off and do it on the machine and re-load the quilt. You seem concerned about it and it appears you have time to fix it, so if you live close enough, I'd go get it and fix it before she loads it.  You'll be happier knowing it's fixed and she'll be a happier longarmer. LOL

Sounds like you have figured out doing borders. You do have to cut the borders to fit the quilt and pin the center and then the ends and work the rest in between.

Can't wait to see your quilt.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 11:36 AM

I have worked with many wavy borders and it is amazing how good they can look once they are quilted.  One thing I would suggest is to use a pattern that does not cross over the stitching...something like a meander.  This way the fullness can just be between the stitches if necessary.  If you try to sew across lines, you risk a pucker.  Also, just pin a lot to ease in the fullness equally across the border.  This will keep one spot from being worse.  And if it is really bad, I have sewn in pleats into the border.  When I do this, I try to do a pattern where there will be a straight line that would be sewn where the pleat is anyway and you will never notice it. 

Those are my tricks.  I'm sure it will look great.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 11:38 AM

Granny M:

Judy Lee & Jeanine, can you believe I have actully gotten to where I can and will change the bobbin, I know you two can remember when I was terrified to even touch it.

Granny M

We are proud of you!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Great tips Jeanine, this thread is so helpful!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:10 PM

Thea:

Christine - your QOV is beautiful - I can not help you with the breaking thread - I would say a larger needle would maybe work better - but - at the same time I am thinking maybe a sharp needle if you are not using one - I have had talks with a sewing machine tech about the type of needle we use and not just the size of the needle - I would have to look up the specifics on this - about the pointed needle as opposed to the rounded head needle - the universal or quilting or sharp or metallic... I think he told me to use a sharp or universal - as you don't want to use too big a needle as you are putting  hole in the quilt and the smaller the needle the more it will close up over time...  

I made a mistake when I described the thread I was using.  I should have said it was TEX 50, and not 50 weight.  My brain injury causes me trouble with numbers, anything to do with counting, measuring and I'm in brain fog, trying to push that calculation through that fog gives me a headache in more ways than one!  LOL  And 50 Tex thread is actually 40 weight thread (although if I've calculated THIS wrong will someone please just shoot me now and put me out of my misery? )

Sooo,  what I decided was.... the thread I used was made for piecing and not for longarming.  I need to make sure I buy quilting thread that has LONG thingees/whatever it's called.... long staple egyptian something or other??? 

I finished the quilt, and it didn't kill me, so I'll probably use up that thread on the next quilt of valor.  Lesson learned though!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:22 PM

Thea:

I do have a question for you longarmers out there... Christine is quilting a quilt of mine next and I - sad to say - yes me - sad to say - sent her one that has a wavy border - I hadn't noticed that it was wavy when I made it - you don't notice this when you are making one but you sure do notice it when a long arm quilter loads it on her machine - I don't think it is severely bad but bad enough - Can you give her any ideas on how to deal with this - or should she just take it off and send the top - back to me to take the borders off and redo - I think there is just a little fullness there and am wondering if you have some sort of trick that you do to spread the fullness out - 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:35 PM

I forgot to add... when I was still sewing for my daughter (dang kid grew up on me, she's 21 now) I remember having problems with wavy hems.  I learned the waves were caused by the way I placed my hands as I fed the fabric through the feed dogs.  I was causing a drag to both pieces of fabric as I held them together/guided them and when I stopped holding it in my hands and let the feed dogs do the work the waves stopped.

It 'could' also be caused by folding the fabric before using the rotary cutter.  I always cut my borders folded as well. I press down on the ruler and haven't noticed a problem.  Maybe I better start checking!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,577
Points 246,512
Thea replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:43 PM

Christine - if you want to - you can take it off the long arm and send it back to me and I'll take the border off - reduce the size of it - sew it back on and send it back to you.  I know it is do to the 2 things - the cutting and that little bit of extra bias and the fact I quit pinning them - I just took the border off the Twister and redid it - I had about 1" more fabric then I needed - so there is no rush with any of my quilts and if you want to just send it to me with the blocks you are sending and I'll get it done and send it right back.  that way you don't have to worry about it and I have no trouble doing it - now that I have figured out what I was doing... shame shame shame on this ole dog...teehee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,577
Points 246,512
Thea replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:47 PM

Christine - i love your kitty sticking its tongue out - that is just so cute!  We can do it whatever way you want - no worries !!!!!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:10 PM

Hi Celine,

I think I know what the problem with your tension knob is...I had that problem on a new machine. Turn your tension knob to the left and loosen it by at least 4 turns and start over on adjusting your tension.  The one that I had actually had the tension dial tightened so much that the thread could not get in! LOL!

Give it a try,

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:20 PM

Hi Granny M,

We all knew you had it in you.  Isn't it awesome when you can trouble shoot the problem fast and get back to what we love the most...QUILTING!

Judylee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 8:57 PM

I finally quilted the denim quilt I have been putting off.  It is for a neighbor and a Christmas gift so I couldn't put it off.  It went better than I thought it would.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:25 AM

Judy Lee:

Isn't it awesome when you can trouble shoot the problem fast and get back to what we love the most...QUILTING!

Judylee

yep.  I was trying to learn so much at the same time that I was not getting anywhere.   I finally called a halt and started at step 1--loading the frame.   Then step 2 getting used to the tension.    I have some really messy practices that is for sure.   But I am a lot more comfortable now and stick to one thing at a time.  Some things have been a little easier than others.   Here is a picture of the knotted rings I did recently.  I learned the stars from a QNN video.  I bought a couple of pantos, but have not gotten to even open them yet.   

Granny M

• | Post Points: 65
Page 18 of 40 (586 items) « First ... < Previous 16 17 18 19 20 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use