Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share #2

Page 14 of 37 (550 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 549 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,057
Points 29,065
Ramona replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:31 AM

Robyn Smith,

Sticking my nose in and you've already started your project. I have never quilted a round tree skirt. Found the outside in quilting interesting. I've only tied them. However, I have heard when you see that a quilting project has a lot of fullness a good idea is to use a higher loft batting. That helps to take up some of the slack.  Just food for thought. Like Jeanine, I have no experience on this.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:44 AM

Hello Robyn, I am a fairly new longarmer and I quilted a round table topper. Like in quilting I am self taught and didn't know round things are difficult. I loaded my backing, spray basted my topper and quilted as usual. It came out great. It seems I have my worst problems after I hear that something is difficult because then I try to take precautions and then I get into trouble.Case inpoint. I am now having trouble keeping my quilt square and straight. Didn't have that problem in the begining because I didn't do all that measureing and basting as I quilted. Now I need some advice on that. Go figure. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 238
Points 4,295
Christine replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 4:26 PM

Thank you for the tips!  I'll check those websites. 

I've got 5 quilts to longarm this week. This is the first one. It's by a 12 yr old beginner, the daughter of a friend. There are tucks everywhere, her goal was to match her corners (big smile). I thought I'd do an all over swirl to disguise the puffy areas. She's a darling little girl. 

Then I have a Chinese themed quilt for my daughters Christmas present. That's the one I want to use pantos on. I'll post a photo of that one when its finished. 

Oh... The crib quilt on the wall was made by my great grandmother when I was born. It's 52 yrs old now, although I don't know how that could be since I'm still 39. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,258
Marie replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 5:14 PM

Christine:
The crib quilt on the wall was made by my great grandmother when I was born. It's 52 yrs old

Christine, I guess you didn't drag that quilt around as a toddler.  It's beautiful!  Did she hand piece and hand quilt it?

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 238
Points 4,295
Christine replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 6:19 PM

Marie:

Christine:
The crib quilt on the wall was made by my great grandmother when I was born. It's 52 yrs old

Christine, I guess you didn't drag that quilt around as a toddler.  It's beautiful!  Did she hand piece and hand quilt it?

Oh my, it was drug around by 4 of us actually. Its threadbare in places and has been repaired many times. I love it!  She used old aprons, shirts and sheets for the pieces and it's all hand pieced. She used blue string to tie it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,258
Marie replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 6:33 PM

Christine, I'd love to see a close up of it if possible.  Sounds like it was dearly loved by all.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 575

Well I got thru it, I quilted it quite heavy and everything laid down perfect. Thank you for all of your postings, they give me courage to keep going.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 11:11 PM

Robyn Smith:

Well I got thru it, I quilted it quite heavy and everything laid down perfect. Thank you for all of your postings, they give me courage to keep going.

Good job.  Can you post a picture?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 320
Susan replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 12:11 PM

I'm new to the forum, but I have been doing longarm quilting since my husband bought me my Queen Quilter in 2009 (give or take a year). I was quilting on my domestic sewing machine (Bernina) until I got tired of wrestling with the masses.  I've quilted about 20 or so quilts on the long arm.  I made each of my grandsons and grand daughter a quilt.  I usually free-motion stipple and I have done a pantograph, I also hand-quilted a quilt for a friend whose great-aunt had hand-pieced (double wedding ring quilt, queen size) back in the 70's.  It took 2 years, but came out really nice.  I wished I had thought about taking a picture of it before giving it back. I always  take pictures of the quilts I make and give away, but never thought about taking a picture of the ones I have been asked to quilt.  I'm currently trying to long arm a "pink ribbon quilt for my sister-in-law, but I'm not sure what to do. When you think of balance, etc., it starts to get overwhelming.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,690
Sylvia replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:09 PM

Help!  Need you ladies expertise.

I'm quilting a wall hanging and am short on my backing.  I've never done this before - been short on backing- so please any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I need about 6" more to complete the quilting.  I feel like such an idiot.  I can't believe I shorted myself.

Should I take it off the frame, add the extra backing I need and then just finish the quilting on my DM or try to reload the quilt upside down to finish the last border?

I really don't want to have to take out all that quilting.

Thank you for your help!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,057
Points 29,065
Ramona replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:42 PM

Sylvia,

Oh, don't you just hate it. Probably has happened to just about all of us. The first one I did that came up short I didn't know for sure what to do. I was very, very new to longarm quilting at the time. What I did was add my backing piece while the quilt was still on the frame. A site to see for sure. DH helped me. Since then, I have come up short one time and it was a friend's quilt and she happened to be there. We just took the quilt off the frame and SHE added the extra backing.  When I put it back on the frame. I put it on the same way and just rolled down to the end and finished the quilt. Really wasn't that big of a deal but my friend has certainly made sure she has enough backing when she gives me her quilts now. I happen to have zipper leaders so it was easy but I have unpinned quilts and turned them to finish quilting. After you do the first one it takes the fear away. It's really no big deal, just time.

No, you don't have to take out the quilting.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:40 PM

Welcome, Susan.  We look forward to seeing some of your quilts.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,690
Sylvia replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 8:16 AM

Thank you Ramona!  I appreciate your advice.

I took the quilt off and added the extra backing this morning.  You're right, it really was no big deal.   Luckily, I noticed it before I quilted to the end.  I put it on the frame backwards and am thinking maybe I need to turn it back the way it was originally on the frame.  This quilt is for a customer - my first customer - and luckily they dont care what the back looks like since it is a wall hanging.  I designed it, pieced it and am now quilting it for them.  I'm having a hard time with the corners and the borders coming out straight.  I suppose I can square everything up after I'm done quilting.

Thank you again Ramona for replying to my SOS call last night.  After reading your response, I got a good night's sleep and stopped worrying about it.

Hope you all have a great day!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 12:38 PM

Christine:
I don't know how that could be since I'm still 39. 

Apparently she is a very slow quilter and started the quilt very early so as to have it ready for your birth.  Does that work?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 238
Points 4,295
Christine replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:23 PM

Sounds good to me!  :)

Here's a few close ups of my great grandmothers quilt:

Page 14 of 37 (550 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use