Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 194 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 192 193 194 195 196 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:41 PM | Locked

I finished (sort of) my cousins quilt.  I got the last of the binding done last night.  I've got to go over the whole thing and make sure all little threads etc are taken care of.  Then I'll launder it tomorrow and send it off to WI next week.  I'll get some good photos this weekend and post on Monday.  I love the binding.  I made if from left over scraps and trimmed pieces of the fabrics from the quilt.  It's quite pretty.  I'm just so happy to see the light at the end of this tunnel.  It's been a while.  I think I started on this monster sometime early last summer.  I still feel like this should not have taken me soo long.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:59 PM | Locked

Joe:
Oh and I get to go exclusive materials at ZjhoAhn's Fabrique Boutique on Sunday.

How do you come up with this stuff. I love it.

Joe:
Have got first paycheck of new year and DELIGHTED to see the extra withholding already.

Don't love that. I feel your pain.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:39 PM | Locked

Judy

If you are wanting to do a one block wonder and go look for fabric measure the repeat.   You need to be able to cut 6 strips of the exact same pattern on the fabric.   If you measure the distance between repeats and multiply be 6 that will give you the number of yards of fabric that you will need to buy.   The closer the repeat the less fabric you will need.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,921
Points 125,005
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:57 PM | Locked

Nana:
If you are wanting to do a one block wonder and go look for fabric measure the repeat. 

Oh Nana, I found the perfect fabric this afternoon. The ladies at my local quilt shop were very helpful and spent nearly an hour auditioning fabrics. They teach a class for the Wonder so knew what would work and what wouldn't. They said exactly the same thing you did. Finally, Florence held up this gorgeous oriental print. It has a 24" repeat, no big blank spaces and not too busy colors. I bought a little extra and got 5 yards. I had hoped to find something on their 50% rack but nothing hit me. So I spent the bucks and got the one I fell in love with. I am so excited about this. I think I will bring it to Branson unless I take the class at the quilt shop mid-February.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Nana,

I want to do a one block wonder too so thanks for the info on repeats!  I've had the book for over two years so it hasn't collected enough dust yet. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 903
Points 17,115
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 8:00 PM | Locked

If the repeats of the fabric are only 12", then Rosenthal recommends buying enough yards so that you have 12 repeats. But you'll still match the fabric in a stack of only 6 pieces. The difference with using smaller repeats is that there's a good chance some blocks will be the same.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,064
Points 21,335
Carol W replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 8:37 PM | Locked

I did work on a quilt today - I finished my snowmen blocks for the 2nd Snowman Block Swap.  Right now I have them laid out on my bed so I can see them all at once.  They are so cute!  Everytime I walk by I smile - and they smile back!!  Can't wait for them to join their other snow buddies in February!!

Carol W. in Arkansas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:57 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
but there is a note the pattern will be available June 1, 2013 from Bill and Weeks website at www.ModernQuiltStudio.com

Thanks for the info, Max!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:01 PM | Locked

Judy

That is going to make a stunning quilt.  I love some of the orientals with their beautiful colors.  It will be fun watching this one come together.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:02 PM | Locked

gini:
judy, nancy can show you how to do this at the branson retreat if she's willing.  you will need yards and yards of material.

Hi Judy, I can help you set up the layers of fabric to do the "whacking," but I've never sewn a one-block-wonder (OBW).  Hopefully it's just a matter of following directions after we have all the fabric pieces cut.  Hmmm, maybe I should plan to do one, too.  We could take over the whole sewing room laying out our yards and yards of fabric.

Do you have the OBW book?  I have the SnW book which gives yardage requirements based on design repeat measurements for the patterns in that book, but the OBW fabric requirements will be different.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:04 PM | Locked

Judy,

Oops, I'm late again.  I see you have some excellent advice on pattern repeats.  The fabric you chose is beautiful!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:12 PM | Locked

Nancy

The only real difference that I have found in the one block wonders and the stack n whack is that the SnW has setting triangles to make your blocks square.  With most one block wonders you sew the blocks together similiar to doing the hexes for flower garden quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:14 PM | Locked

i thought the OBW was the SnW, shows you what i know.   i'll hunt up some fabric and see if i can join you.   i was wondering what to bring and this could be it.  

here's what i was up to today. 

above are blocks the princess's class made with crayolas, below are wil's class blocks

their winter carnival is late january or early december.   these will be for the fund-raiser part of the carnival. i have enlisted wil to design something for the long space at the top of the leaf quilt.   are these not the cutest darned quilts.  i spent all day sewing the blocks together ad auditioning fabrics to set them with. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:17 PM | Locked

it seems that if one has two large design walls, one will fill two large design walls.  i didn't have room to put up the other blocks i wanted to work on this weekend. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:18 PM | Locked

ackkk,   not december,  it's january or february.   february.  

gini in north idaho

Page 194 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 192 193 194 195 196 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use