Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 173 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 171 172 173 174 175 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,501
Points 417,379
gini replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 11:56 PM | Locked

star, there should be a serial number on it and you can go to the singer website and look up the serial number

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 12:00 AM | Locked

Nevermind. I just went to the Singer website and found the serial number  information and the found the serial number plaque on the machine. Duh! right in front. My Singer was made in 1949. Now I just have to figure out the model number and I can get a manual for it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,878
Points 40,520
ls2116 replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 12:10 AM | Locked

Star I think if you look on the back by the motor there might be a date.   Why not post a pic let us all see yours.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,288
Points 26,450
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 12:39 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

Elizabeth:
Got it really cheap as they said it would not make a stitch, the feed dogs did not advance fabric and it was not level.  Bought a service manual, feet for the bottom serviced it myself today and it runs GREAT!!!!

Elizabeth, where did you locate a service manual?  Was it fairly easy to fix?  This is good information because I've been watching the featherweights on eBay.  I could have picked up one today for $160, but it said it ran "sluggish."  In fact, I've noticed that adjective used on several of the listings.  Has anyone here run into that, and does it improve after having the machine serviced?

I got the service manual on eBay 9.50 for a PDF version I put singer featherweight manual in the search and several came up.  It was very easy.  There is another great web site but I can't find it.  When I get home I will post it.  So glad my friend encouraged me to dyi it was so simple

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,288
Points 26,450
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 12:41 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

Elizabeth:
Got it really cheap as they said it would not make a stitch, the feed dogs did not advance fabric and it was not level.  Bought a service manual, feet for the bottom serviced it myself today and it runs GREAT!!!!

Elizabeth, where did you locate a service manual?  Was it fairly easy to fix?  This is good information because I've been watching the featherweights on eBay.  I could have picked up one today for $160, but it said it ran "sluggish."  In fact, I've noticed that adjective used on several of the listings.  Has anyone here run into that, and does it improve after having the machine serviced?

Sorry forgot to add after servicing it which was just oil and lib all the sluggish went away and it ran so smooth

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 5:27 AM | Locked

ls2116:

Star I think if you look on the back by the motor there might be a date.   Why not post a pic let us all see yours.

Here is a picture, still can't find the model number.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 6:32 AM | Locked

You can print many manual from certain sites for free.   I just printed one for my treadle sewing machine, I received for Christmas

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 6:56 AM | Locked

What a great Christmas gift you gave yourself Elizabeth.  I am looking for one of those now.  I bought a used white that weighs a ton and it won't sew.  I'm actually annoyed that I believed and bought it sight unseen as it had just been serviced.  The motor purrs like a baby but its not picking the thread at the bottom.  It did before,  hmmmm I just was taken for a ride I guess.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 7:02 AM | Locked

Love your machine Star

Angèle  from NWO

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 7:39 AM | Locked

Now all the presents are delivered and appreciated.

On with the projects for the new year. I am committed to Sophie (my DGD) quilt for her birthday in late Feb, and to make the duplicate muslin table runner to save my wife from sin. (covetousness)

Then will be the crisis: to complete UFO's as I should, or branch out?

We'll see.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 730
Points 18,300
Brigit-Carol replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 8:38 AM | Locked

Star:

Here is a picture, still can't find the model number.

It's a model (class) 15, probably a 15-91 as that was the most popular model and is a real workhorse.  It is wonderful for FMQing.  Go to  http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/p15.html

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 8:55 AM | Locked

Elizabeth ,beautiful machine. Hope you have lots of happy years playing iwth it..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 701
Points 13,295
Michelle replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 9:15 AM | Locked

Merry Christmas everyone.  I'm new to this forum, but I have several of the Singer Featherweight 221 and 222. My husband buys on eBay and refurbishes, takes apart the motors and rewires, then paints, put the decals back on if necessary, tunes, oils, etc. So I am very blessed to have several of these. He has several sites that he will buy original parts from as well as get infor for. I can ask him what sites are the best if anyone is interested? He also only buys from certain people for parts as they are originals. I will get that info and post. I have a beautiful metallic purple, and he is working on a deep cherry pearl one for a friend. So beautiful and they run wonderfully. He says they usually only need servicing and cleaning, no major work and they will just keep sewing. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,288
Points 26,450
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 10:17 AM | Locked

Angele:

What a great Christmas gift you gave yourself Elizabeth.  I am looking for one of those now.  I bought a used white that weighs a ton and it won't sew.  I'm actually annoyed that I believed and bought it sight unseen as it had just been serviced.  The motor purrs like a baby but its not picking the thread at the bottom.  It did before,  hmmmm I just was taken for a ride I guess.

I had that trouble with an old white.  Lots of times the bobbins is not inserted EXACTLY right.  That what was wrong with the FW I just bought, just slightly off.  54triple check you manual

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 701
Points 13,295
Michelle replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 10:24 AM | Locked

The website to download manuals for free is: thefeatherweight221factory.com. All of the owners manuals, adjusters manuals, service and list of parts. Other singers models are on there also, just scroll down. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Page 173 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 171 172 173 174 175 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use