Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 152 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 150 151 152 153 154 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:12 AM | Locked

Patricia, yes I can see her dancing.  What a beautiful quilt for your DIL.  You can tell there is so much thought and love in it.  What a treasure.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:15 AM | Locked

This is such a beautiful baby quilt so soft and cuddly .  You dida beautiful job on it MaggieNae.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:22 AM | Locked

I worked on two yesterday.  I finished assembling the back of a baby quilt and did six more stars for another. Fifteen more days! And I so need time. 

Angèle  from NWO

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400
Brigit-Carol replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 8:31 AM | Locked

WeeZee - lovely colours in your MQ7.  I'm so impressed to see what everyone has done with this pattern.

Patricia -- fantastic contemporary quilt.  Yes I can see the dancer if I sort of blur my vision to do so.  From a larger distance it will be much more obvious.  Great work!

And I'm sure I've missed mentioning others who have posted in the last few days -- sorry about that.  I just love all the eye candy that is posted here, but don't always mention folks by name. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,695
Points 179,553
Marie replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 9:24 AM | Locked

Wow Patricia, what a wonderful job you did capturing Courtney in your piecing, excellent job!  She'll love it!

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 437
Points 11,300
Donna replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:26 AM | Locked

Yesterday I started on Christmas 2013.  I am making quilted christmas stockings with the names embroidered for the kids, spouses and grandkids, 20 total.  1 down and 19 to go.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435
Patricia Faye replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:39 AM | Locked

Donna:

Yesterday I started on Christmas 2013.  I am making quilted christmas stockings with the names embroidered for the kids, spouses and grandkids, 20 total.  1 down and 19 to go.

That is amazing!  My goal for 2013 is to (1) make my list of gifts/projects & (2) start on working on them in January so I can be finished long before Christmas.  In the past I didn't make a list until October & then it was a mad rush to get everything done.  Thanks for the great idea!   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 11:42 AM | Locked

Donna:

Donna - I am making a McKenna Ryan Christmas quilt - originally when I ordered the pattern it was going to be for this year - but then it got put on back order so now I am working on it - I would love to have it done this year - but alas - if you have ever made a MR pattern - they are time consuming... you first transfer all the pattern pieces to fusible - then you cut them out and transfer them to the fabric they are going to be used on - you then fussy cut the pieces from the fabric and join them together on their backing piece - you then - if you are me - satin stitch all these pieces down - after that you join all your blocks together - border and quilt - you have now made an MR quilt and if you count the pieces that you did - it is over 5000 - and you worked on these 5000 pieces 4 times... teehee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:48 PM | Locked

My computer will not let me start a new topic so I am asking my question here....

I am making a quilt for my son for Christmas and it has a 24" hockey player appliqued in the center. The directions are for hand applique adding  a 1/8" or 1/4" to the patterns and I am doing fused and machined. Do I just draw on the line and fuse like I usually do or am i missing something? I do very little applique but it isn't an option to skip it on this quilt. Also I was planning or doing a zig-zag stitch around all of the pieces not a blanket stitch. Will it hold up ok? I think it will be well used. Last question... for now... I don't want it stiff and I remember having to put something under it to prevent the edges from getting weird, what do I use?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:00 PM | Locked

kim:
I don't want it stiff and I remember having to put something under it to prevent the edges from getting weird, what do I use?

Kim, I use the tear away stabilizer when I machine applique.  If you are zig-zaging on the raw edge and plan to wash the quilt it will not hold up.  When I appliqued my grandkids baby quilts I did raw edge and used a satin stitch and they have been washed a lot.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:41 PM | Locked

kim:

My computer will not let me start a new topic so I am asking my question here....

I am making a quilt for my son for Christmas and it has a 24" hockey player appliqued in the center. The directions are for hand applique adding  a 1/8" or 1/4" to the patterns and I am doing fused and machined. Do I just draw on the line and fuse like I usually do or am i missing something? I do very little applique but it isn't an option to skip it on this quilt. Also I was planning or doing a zig-zag stitch around all of the pieces not a blanket stitch. Will it hold up ok? I think it will be well used. Last question... for now... I don't want it stiff and I remember having to put something under it to prevent the edges from getting weird, what do I use?

Kim, it sounds like the line of the pattern is the cutting line since they want you to add some for turned edge.  Just trace your pattern as is to your fusible ... use a very light fusible so the hockey player won't be stiff OR once you've rough cut your fusible out after tracing (outside of the pattern line) you can cut most of the fusible away leaving a 1/2" or so inside the pattern line.  Press it to your fabric then cut on the pattern line.  I've never done that size applique on a quilt that's going to be washed but it sounds like Spud has the right idea!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:52 PM | Locked

Kim - sounds like Debbie and Spud have given you good advice... I don't however use light weight fusible and I don't cut out so only a little bit holds it on - I have tried that and never have good results - I do a lot - and I mean a lot of fusible quilting - I make a ton of McKenna Ryan quilts and a lot of the quilts that you use little squares for - and then fuse on top of them... I use the heavy weight Heat n bond... and I can tell you it doesn't matter the weight - this has more glue in it and can be a pain when you are stitching the edging down - but I know it is staying in place till I sew it down and sometimes when you are making a MR quilt it is a while till you get to that part... the light weight fusible also seems to separate from the backing as it ages on my shelf - and that is no fun and not worth the money I spent to buy it.

Now softness afterwards - the first wash it is a little stiff - the 2nd wash a little less and the 3rd wash you don't know there was any fusible used.  

I also satin stitch down all of my fusible work - I am terribly afraid that after it gets washed a couple times that that edge will fray - have seen it happen and don't like it - so I spend the time it takes to satin stitch all my pieces down.  A satin stitch for those that don't know is a zig zag stitch that is so close together that you can't see anything between the stitches.  I reduce the numbers on my sewing machine very low - and I reduce the width also I just want it to catch about 3 threads in on my piece and just over the edge 1 thread on the background..

Now when I am satin stitching I put a piece of washaway stabilizer behind the piece - this keeps the fabric from bunching as you are stitching around it.  I use a water soluble that I use for my embroidery on my machine called Vilene.  I used to buy so many different kinds of stabilizer for machine embroidery and still have rolls of it - then I found this one called Vilene and I only use it - you can buy it by the yard and almost whatever width you want - and since my hoop is only 6" wide I can get it to fit my hoop instead of having to buy those rolls that are 12" wide and wasting those inches...

This helps with raw edge applique - your back ground block doesn't shrink from stitching the piece down and it slides easier on the table to turn and get those curvy edges.

Hope this helped - if you need any other help on this just let me know - I do consider myself an expert when it comes to raw edge applique' - I have made now over 10 quilts with this all over the quilt... and it is fun!  I love the perfection you can get from it and the fact that my arthritic hands aren't hurting from trying to do needle turn.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:58 PM | Locked

Donna:

Donna - just to make myself further insane - I decided this time to count the hours that it takes me to make a MR quilt... teehee... So far - I spent 6 hours tracing the patterns for the 5 parts on to the fusible - I am on hour # 8 of fusing the fusible to the back of the fabric that it needs to go to - still have 3 more pattern sections to do - the ones with the most pieces I left for last... shame on me - I worked for 4 hours today on just 1 section... after this I will be fussy cutting all these pieces... When I am done - who knows how many hours I will have put in... I know when I add them up I'll know I am insane...teehee... The tracing and the fussy cutting are all done sitting in my chair though - the fusing right now I have to stand for and sort through the fabric stack each time to get the right piece of fabric - that hurts my poor body... but I am making myself rest every hour...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:59 PM | Locked

Donna:

I planned to do that for this year, but never got around to it.  Maybe I should start now for next year.  Sounds like a good plan...I'd only have to make 10.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 4:14 PM | Locked

Karla -I keep saying I am going to do that too - but alas - it will be done one year - when - I am not sure - you let me know when you start and maybe we can make them together and keep each other on track...teehee

Page 152 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 150 151 152 153 154 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use