Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 105 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 103 104 105 106 107 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:03 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
Old weak eyes need lots of help!

Boy you have that right Max. I'm glad you got it all worked out!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:05 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:

BTW, thank you for sharing the link, just what I need - another quilting toy... LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:22 PM | Locked

WTG Joe,

Set yourself guidelines and stick to them. You did a wonderful job.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:24 PM | Locked

Gini,

Love your basket block and the scrappy look. I made a quilt of nothing but baskets in the 30's prints once.  Fun to make.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:26 PM | Locked

Bev,

Your star quilt is just beautiful and I really like the outside border.  Very nice.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:26 PM | Locked

Thea,

Your Spooky quilt is going to be so cute! Changes to original designs just make them more personal and special to you. Hope it goes together smoothly today and you get hours and hours to sew!

If I had known I was going to live this long, and would really want to use various body parts like hands, feet, back, knees, etc I would have taken better care of them long ago. Most of the aches and pains I 'earned' by not taking care of myself and doing (some) really stupid things. But I have some fond memories of those times!  So the name of the game now is 'adapt'. I adapt the way I hold things, carry things, and how long I do things. I may only be able to be up on my feet 3 to 4 hours a day without really triggering severe back pain. But I can extend that by resting flat on my back frequently during the day. I have arthritis/CTS/nerve damage in my hands. So days they are sort of like paddles with stubby appendages. Really annoying, and some things I can't do anymore. So I don't do those things, but I can do others...liking quilting.  I would probably scare the daylights out of you to watch me use a rotary cutter, but I am very careful and so far (knock on wood!) haven't done any damage to myself. 

I worry about you moving north in a few years! That is going to be physically hard on you. Can't you and the kids and g-kids find a mutual warm spot to move to? 

Take care! TIme to sew a few more seams before tossing supper at the stove.

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:29 PM | Locked

nantenn:

Thea,

try the lightweight thermal wear, under you clothes. Works real well under pants. I used to do home health visits and take coat on and off each house was a burden, plus I was continually leaving coat in homes. I bought a set of black from dollar general I think it was. Even bought a printed top that would peak out undr my scrub top.  I found it much more comfortable than other methods of layering. But I love sweatshirts and sometimes where then until the days of 90 degree weather. Also maybe try knee high socks.

hope you get warmer!

Nan

Nan, thank you - you know I buy those for DH and DS and never thought about doing them myself...hmmm...where did my brain go...teehee...

I finished up block 16 and frogged 10 and redid the small mistaken area - it looks so much better now! 

Am on to the washer to wash that flannel batik batting... will let you know how much if any it shrinks and how much color is on my color fast swatches... moving forward... 

DH is home - his schedule has changed and it is really nice having him home earlier - although I know it means he will be going to be much earlier... maybe I will get to bed early too... hmmmm... body what do you think - - 

And pulled out the box with all the parts to Sew Spooky - going to press them while the Batik washes....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:38 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
I worry about you moving north in a few years! That is going to be physically hard on you. Can't you and the kids and g-kids find a mutual warm spot to move to? 

We worry about that too - but we have this one problem - Reese the SGC is not my son's by biology - so because of that he is not allowed to leave the state of MN because his bio daddy says NO... so if we want to be close to the kids and the grands - we have to move up there... I do pretty good in the cold as long as the house is warm - I used to use the front room and we had a pet door in the door there - but now that room is my Mom's so to let the pets go in and out without constantly having to open the door I have the back door open - I have 2 quilts hanging over it and on most days it isn't a problem - but when the wind blows out of the NW - oh my - then we have to open and close the door which is almost as bad... fur babies get upset with me... but with the thermals that Nan mentioned I think that will be good... this room also does not have heat vents so we have space heaters in here - I bought a second one this weekend to use in here and we had to do some creative extension cording to keep the fuses from blowing - houses built back in the 50s were not made for all these electrical things we have going... rewiring the house was on DHs list of things to do but if we aren't going to stay here we aren't going to expend our precious dollars on that - they will be used for the house in MN to re insulate it... and insulate it... 

This will be the first winter I was in this part of the house so we are figuring it out... And DH is wonderful - he is working on the back door housing thing as we speak - came home from work and jumped right on it...teehee...

I have to check the water - see if it is boiling - we had chili and we make a dish called chili mac but I had never made it from the left over chili before till Barbara mentioned that she sometimes puts macaroni in her chili - so I am making some elbow macs to put in the left over chili for dinner tonight...

Good ideas I get from here!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:51 PM | Locked

Oh Thea

Chili Mac...yummy.  Love chili mac, when my roommate and I were in college and poor as the proverbial church mouse we always stretched our chili by adding macaroni after the 1st couple of meals.  We could make a pot last a whole week.

I still do it sometimes, just because it is so yummy!  I like to freeze several servings of chili and then when I have unexpected company in the winter I can always defrost and stretch with good ole pasta.  Everyone raves over it...of course I serve hot corn muffins.

Now you've made me "ono" for chili!  Guess I'll have to make a nice big pot this week.  It is so cold and blustery outside, even the dogs don't want to go outside...LOL.  Do you think they might be a little bit spoiled?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 7:00 PM | Locked

I havent worked on a quilt since OMG Tuesday because I am in MO visiting the family.  Having a great time, will be home on 2 weeks.  Of I can keep the quilting itch at bay until then.  LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,678
Points 65,800
Bonita replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:23 PM | Locked

I haven't been on for a couple of days so trying to catch up.

Kelly Pretty butterfly quilt. I have some of that fabric and have been hoarding it.

Karla, nice work on both your ribbon and purse.

Frances, cute mug rugs.

Belfry Bat love the work you've done on those blocks.

Gini, love the basket. You are a quilting machine.

Bev, beautiful quilt and I never look for puckers.

Joe, great job on the challenge quilt.

Barbara, I tried to comment on your quilting on the other thread but access was denied. :(  Beautiful work I'm so impressed with you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 10:05 PM | Locked

Thea:
I do not like the cold at all - told DH that when we move to MN that the house is going to have to be very well insulated so that I can use the minimum amount of heat to have my house toasty

Thea, when you get to MN, look for a house with in-floor heat.  It makes such a difference.  I also wear wool socks all winter.  If my feet are warm, I am warm.  I also love fleece vests to keep my core warm.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 10:19 PM | Locked

I have been cutting and cutting all day today.  I finally found enough thick woven flannels (no white backs) to make a raggy quilt, so I'm cutting 100 nine-inch squares and 394  5.5" squares plus half that many batting squares.  I'm heading off to a local quilt retreat on Thursday, so I needed a new project to take along.  It's nice to think I can have this totally done at the retreat.  It's quilt as you go, and there is no additional backing or binding.  I'll bet a number of you have made these rag quilts.  I thought DH (or maybe the dog and/or cat) would appreciate this as a warm cozy lap quilt for winter.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 10:31 PM | Locked

Bonita ,thanks you for your kind words .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 10:44 PM | Locked

MNnancy,  do you have an acquilt to do the cutting?  I do and it reduced my cutting time to about 1/10 of the time.  I assume you are cutting the little stripped edges by hand.  I did one baby quilt that way, then got the acquilt and couldnt believe the difference.  I Stacked the top, batting and backing for each square and cut all three at once so they were perfectly lined up.  It was great.

Page 105 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 103 104 105 106 107 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use