Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 95 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 93 94 95 96 97 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:27 AM | Locked

Catfriddo--If you are determined enough, and I think you probably are, mind over matter is the first obstacle. Having something visual can make it a more enriching experience. I tried learning on my own in the dark ages with scissors and templates. Not exactly satisfactory. Then I took an evening series of small projects. After the first class and rotary cutter on the scene, my quilting spirit was unleashed. It is still running rampart. The online tutorials and videos now just spurn me on to new methods. Celtic Knot is next.

Joe--Train Wreck is lovely and original. I make a point of using up scraps rather than  hoarding them and going in with the attitude that they will become something can be very freeing. Love it!

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:31 AM | Locked

Joe:

The Old and the Ugly -- After all you experts saying how this or that one is flawed and you might have to call it a failure, I thought I'd show you a real wreck. This one was made some years ago, facing a crisis move, not in a great frame of mind, to use up the last scraps in the basket, whether they matched anything or not. It is sort of a mix of thunderbird, deformed chicken, alien visitor, and a train wreck. Proving no quilt is a useless throwaway, it hangs in the bathroom. Seeing it frequently reminds me to watch for missed stitches and crooked corners. Pic was hard to take, as you can't really get a good view except from the best seat in the house. Squint your eyes and peek, here it is:

See, I told you.

Joe, I don't think it is a throw away, after all, quilting is a learning process and we never graduate there is always something new to learn and improve upon. Thanks for sharing your picture.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,586
Points 47,680
Debbie-do replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:34 AM | Locked

Joe, it's thought provoking for sure!! I think it's pretty neat.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:35 AM | Locked

catfriddo:

Just learning how to quilt, self taught. I'm working on a quilt for my grandson.  I just wish I could find a quilting class at night or week-ends.

I'm self-taught also catfriddo.  I bought books and joined message boards and watched 100s of YouTube videos.  Mostly it takes a lot of practice and trial and error, hang in there you will be fine. And like someone else said, there are a lot of classes online

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:38 AM | Locked

Donna, your blocks are very nice, love how colorful they are.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,586
Points 47,680
Debbie-do replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:39 AM | Locked

Now that I'm doing all this hand sewing, I'm developing some pretty ugly dry and tender calluses .  I typically don't use hand lotion because I don't like the way it feels but I'm wondering if there's a product someone can recommend for quilter's calluses?!  My first thought was bag balm...

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:59 AM | Locked

Debbie I have this stuff in a little tin ,I'm sorry I can't  remeber the name of it ,but it looks like a small bar of soap but it a lotion you put on your hands ,Its not greasy and it works great ,I did get it at a quilt shop and it comes in differnt fragrances . I love this stuff .If I can find my tin I'll let you know the name of it .It buried somewhere around my machine.LOL  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:01 AM | Locked

Debbie ,I found it ,its called Lavishea lotion bar ,  Mine is a lavender scent and it works wonderful

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:09 AM | Locked

Debbie

Gloves in a Bottle is great lotion for quilters.  It isn't at all greasy and really helps keep the skin soft.  You can find it at most quilt shops.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 632
Points 9,395
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:14 AM | Locked

I like Neutrogena Cracked Heal lotion and their Hand Cream  I use either on my hands, depending on what's closest.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,227
Points 24,865
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:48 AM | Locked

Jacy I love this little block.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,227
Points 24,865
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:50 AM | Locked

Love your batman quilt

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:12 PM | Locked

Thanks Barbara,  I am flying into KC,  My daughter goes to school there, then going to Versailles where her boyfriend lives, then Jefferson City and Columbia where my two boys live.  Would love to talk with you and maybe even find time to get together.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:16 PM | Locked

Thanks for the compliments.  No I am not sure how I am going to put it together.  I saw on Amy's blog that she used a simple white, but I dont know what i am going to do.  Opps plane is boarding, got to go.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:59 PM | Locked

debbie, i don't know how to get rid of the calluses, callusi?  but a great hand scrub to soften your hands before sewing and get rid of all the little pieces that catch on your thread, mix olive oil and sugar into a paste.   scrub your hands with it for about a minute, rinse it off, soap up your hands to wash off the olive oil.  

gini in north idaho

Page 95 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 93 94 95 96 97 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use