Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 68 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 1:16 PM | Locked

I finished the blue quilt I quilted before I went to Leavenworth.  I bought an Ott light and set up a hand sewing area with a comfy chair and ottoman but didn't have time to use it before I left. I found it to be perfect just set over my shoulder.  It illimenates shadows and seems to be the right light for my eyes. Nothing better than draping a quilt over your cold legs and working on a binding.  I'll have to do another soon seems to be the perfect early morning task with the better lighting.

I picked up one of those needle threaders and really like it.   Especially with the fine thread I am using for bindings.  One shot and your back in the sewing  business.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 1:57 PM | Locked

Thank you, Agnes!  That's a pretty informative site.  I'm a book-aholic and found Jinny's book on Amazon for about $15 delivered so the order's been placed.

You know, aside from the occasional server issues here, the only problem I really have is the lack of time to try and perfect all the new and exciting things I read about here!  I would like a steady income stream without having to spend 40 hours a week making it happen! 

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 2:07 PM | Locked

I'm trying to work a quilts today...I had a 'midnight inspiration' for the stars on one, but in the light of day I can see the 'inspiration' needs more work.   Close, but no cigar!  Why do these designs always look better when you're half asleep?

The second quilt on the design board is actually starting to gel.  I've been fighting with it trying to force the design to go across the quilt. Stupid me! It wants to go vertical. So I'll let it. Looking better already! Now I'll just study it for a while and see if it speaks again.

Angele--I have a smaller second design board, about 30 inches square. It's just a hunk of cardboard covered with batting. It is small, lightweight, and sits about anywhere. I use it to keep block layouts in order while sewing them together, or auditioning colors. Put color scraps together on it, prop it up where I can see it as I move around during the day. It's really handy.

Agnes--I really like Snoopy, but am fascinated with Spools. Something about my vision lets me see recessed windows.  I have to half shut my eyes and really concentrate to see the 'spool' pattern. I may have to try this one...have some batiks that would really look good in the window.

Questions:  Does anyone know of any patterns or pattern books for realistic birds?  Besides applique!  I have found several really nice applique realistic bird patterns, but applique hurts my hands too much. I am thinking maybe paper piecing.  I've been searching online, but haven't found much. Would especially like birds of prey...eagles, hawks, owls, etc.  Thanks!

Back to see if I can conquer these stars!  Have a fun and quilty day!

Max

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,033
Points 28,690
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 2:36 PM | Locked

Max,

Here is a free one http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/articles/Bird_Block_FREE_Foundation_Pieced_Quilt_Block_Pattern

and there is a book by  Jette Norregaard Nielsen called Feathered Friends.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 656
Points 16,605
Brigit-Carol replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 3:25 PM | Locked

Ramona - thanks for the name of the block and link.  I've bookmarked it.

Max - many thanks for the link to the quilting site.  I bookmarked it and will explore in more detail after my company leaves.

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,738
Points 66,700
Bonita replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 3:54 PM | Locked

Agnes, happy to see you're back to work on your quilts. Both are wonderful.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,738
Points 66,700
Bonita replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 4:48 PM | Locked

I made this wall hanging for my sister for her birthday. Just finished it today I evan made a sleeve for it. LOL Just need to attach cord to the dowel. I like how it goes from this:

to this. Thanks Debbie-Do again for the twister template. She was my Secert Santa last year.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,033
Points 28,690
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:10 PM | Locked

Bonita,

That's adorable. When I first saw the squares I said, Ok, it's a pumpkin. Then it went TO A  PUMPKIN! So neat.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:35 PM | Locked

Bonita,

HOW SWEET!  A pumpkin on caffeine!

Love how he 'turned' out.

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:46 PM | Locked

Ramona,

Thank you!  The book is just what I've been needing!

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,282
Points 28,975
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:55 PM | Locked

Ramona:
I have to had it to anyone who hand pieces and or hand quilts.

Thanks,Ramona, for your comments. Hand work helps keep my sanity. Without some type of hand work I need medications to keep me sane. Not sure that the hobbies are cheaper but they have much better side effects. I just have to keep myself spaced so that I don't add repetitive strain injury as a side effect.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,282
Points 28,975
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:04 PM | Locked

Vivian :
I bought an Ott light and set up a hand sewing area

Vivian--I have an Ott lite but this summer I moved it about. I need to bring it back out. Something strange happened today. NOT. I was working on the "backing."Before I knew it this backing is becoming a small throw. This whole process now requires remaking the borders which were also all hand stitched so I need that good light. Regular light works okay for knitting but not hand stitching.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,282
Points 28,975
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:16 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
Something about my vision lets me see recessed windows. 

Thanks, Max. Attic Windows just use two sides instead of four. I have the quilt hanging so that I can see it when I wake. This morning because I was lazy I lay there looking at it my eyes were seeing the spool ends and background as crosses. Now with your observation and mine there will definitely be a similar quilt again. Just have to do some coloring so I know exactly what I want to do.

Speaking about design walls, all of mine are reclaimed Arttex (the plastic corrugated board) or foam core board with flannel, felt or batting attached with spray adhesive. I have boards in many sizes, some cut to fit into my bins so I can put projects away and still have them ready for sewing. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,282
Points 28,975
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:30 PM | Locked

Bonita:

Agnes, happy to see you're back to work on your quilts. Both are wonderful.

Bonita- Thanks. I am glad to be back to quilting. Today, I actually am starting to feel that I really want to be doing it, so things are going well.

Love your pumpkin on steroids. What a difference the twister makes.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,353
Points 37,030
Linda replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:35 PM | Locked

Marie:

Linda, prayers going up for Jan's mom and family.  God Bless.

Thank you, Marie. Jan has applied for family leave act so that everything is in place when the time comes. Don't think that's far off. Sunday she didn't get out of bed at all. I wanted to go down to see her, but she said no. She wanted me to remember like she was and she wanted to remember me like I was before the accident. I can life with that. Jan said she's lost 100 lbs. so she's must weigh next to nothing. Jan's sister said she didn't get out of bed all day on Sunday. Their mom had had a brain tumor. After it was remove it was never the same and her health started going downhill. Jan cries all the time when she's at home and when she comes here because of the huge difference in me since the  accident. I told her I plan to be around for a while tho. Thank you for keeping Jan and family in prayer.

Hugs, Linda

Page 68 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use