Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 67 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 65 66 67 68 69 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,345
Points 28,435
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 8:01 PM | Locked

Agnes:
I will share the photos when this site doesn't take all day to post something.

You can keep me company waiting.  After taking 2 hours to post 11 pictures last week, I gave up.  That tires me more than quilting a large quilt on a small machine.  I have about 10 or so left to post, but will wait for a while.  I was afraid my 11 pictures would do the site in permanently, but it survived - - - barely!

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 8:13 PM | Locked

MM,

just love your colors. So vibrant. I can't wait to complete the last two BOM blocks. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,281
Points 28,970
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:26 AM | Locked

There was no waiting for the cows to come home to get on this morning so will try sharing my two most recent finishes.Here's Snoopy and a quilting detail. 

And this is Spools, hand pieced and machine quilted.

I enjoyed this one so well that I am thinking there might be another one started soon. I find hand piecing very relaxing.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:29 AM | Locked

Agnes

Great quilts.  Love the snoopy and the quilting is beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:21 AM | Locked

Ramona, great work on your friend's quilt!  It is beautiful

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:23 AM | Locked

Max I never thought of having a second design wall!  I see why now that you mentioned it as I'm always working on more than one quilt at a time.  Maybe they would get finished faster if they would be up...lol

Angèle  from NWO

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:42 AM | Locked

Snoopy quilt is really cute, Agnes.  Great job on the spools.  I have a dumb question for you...  when you're hand piecing, is it simply a small running stitch or is there more to it?  I see more hand work in my future.  There's something very satisfying in it.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 656
Points 16,605
Brigit-Carol replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 8:42 AM | Locked

Ms MoomMist:

Thank you Belfry. Because it started out as a scrappy I wasn't excited about it, but after working the blocks I became rather fond of it. Well it does have 20 - 12" blocks and of course there has got to be a border and I could never decide which blocks to exclude and then what would I do with them... oh wait a minute how abour a quilt and a bed runner??? might work for me..

I'm a beginning quilter but tend to lean towards samplers or scrappy quilts.  Disappearing nine patch is becoming my favourite and it's just such a surprise to put together.   Yes, 20 blocks will make a pretty large throw quilt.  I finished one that was 4 x 5 12" blocks into a twin bed size.  I added 2" sashings between blocks and a 4" border.  But had to extend the length so did an extra strip top and bottom.  It worked out great -- just got it back from the quilt shop.   I'm considering breaking the BOM one up into two smaller throw/ lap quilts as I skipped the English paper piecing so will have 18 blocks unless I make a couple of extra.  I'll decide in November when the BOM instructor shows how she plans on putting hers together.  I hope I can find a similar class next year as I've enjoyed putting the quilt together in stages and learning new techniques.

Brigit-Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 656
Points 16,605
Brigit-Carol replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 8:45 AM | Locked

Agnes -- great quilts.  Love the colours on the second one, but also the whimsy of the first one.  Both are great. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,281
Points 28,970
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 10:30 AM | Locked

Debbie-do:
when you're hand piecing, is it simply a small running stitch

Debbie--There's a little bit more but not much. After I start with the knotted thread through the two pieces I do a back stitch, take four or five running stitches, another back stitch and so on. Try to keep an even tension on the fabrics so that you have a tight stitch with a flat seam. Because I am not fond of paper piecing or English paper piecing I now do that kind of a pattern by hand piecing. I also now wouldn't think of machine stitching Dresden Plates. The reason I did the spools by hand was that hand piecing Y seams is so effortless compared to machine piecing. Originally I diligently marked lines but now I often just mark the corners with the 1/4" mark so that I have my starting and stopping point. 

Here's a link that gives you a little more information about patterns. 

http://www.sewn.eu/en-us/tipstools/articles/handpiecingbliss.aspx

I wouldn't purchase Jinny Beyer's book but I have borrowed it from the library. She is the queen of hand piecing instructions. She discusses the three different methods of holding and stitching. I use the gathering method, the third one she discusses. I hand pieced quite a few projects before her book ever was written but I read the book to see if I missed anything important. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,281
Points 28,970
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 10:40 AM | Locked

Belfrybat:

Agnes -- great quilts.  Love the colours on the second one, but also the whimsy of the first one.  Both are great. 

Thank you. The block part of the Spools were batik charm packs. It was just such an easy way to have a wide variety of colors. The spool ends came from stash pieces. The cream background was a leftover from my 30s Dresden Plates which has now become the project to finish. From original plan of a throw it has jumped up and down in size. It will be a really large throw or smallish double quilt. I am working on the backing now. I will share the whole story when I unveil the finished quilt. That could still take quite some time.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,022
Points 28,515
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 10:46 AM | Locked

Belfrybat:

Ramona - I really love your quilting work on the red and white quilt, especially the tiny stippling around the embroidery.  Does anyone know the name of the block she used between the embroidery that looks like a cross?  I really like it.

Belfrybat,

This is what she responded to me about the block you were asking about,  

The name of that block is Colorado block.   The book said it was originally made in reds from the Colorado Rockies with their red color.

However, I looked up the block on the internet and there is one  called the Colorado Beauty. You can find the free directions here.....

http://www.blockcentral.com/qb-coloradobeauty.shtml

It is put together similar but you can get the same results.  I didn't see the actual pattern she used.  It depends on your colors and color placement and set it on point you can get the same look that she was able to. If I find the exact pattern she used, I'll let you know.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 11:33 AM | Locked

I hope I can find a similar class next year as I've enjoyed putting the quilt together in stages and learning new techniques.

Belfrybat,
Here is a link to a Beginner's Block Quilt-Along.  As you open each block's instructions you will find lots of pictures of other peoples completed blocks to help you with color combinations, lots of pictures and videos, etc.  The blocks are all traditional blocks. You can save the link to your favorites so you can go to it anytime and work at your own pace.
Hope you see some you will like to try.
Max

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,022
Points 28,515
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 11:47 AM | Locked

Angele,

Thank you so very much!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,022
Points 28,515
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 11:48 AM | Locked

Agnes:

There was no waiting for the cows to come home to get on this morning so will try sharing my two most recent finishes.Here's Snoopy and a quilting detail. 

And this is Spools, hand pieced and machine quilted.

I enjoyed this one so well that I am thinking there might be another one started soon. I find hand piecing very relaxing.

Agnes,

Your snoopy and spool quilts are beautiful. Great job!! I have to had it to anyone who hand pieces and or hand quilts. It amazes me.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 67 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 65 66 67 68 69 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use