Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 59 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 57 58 59 60 61 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 3:12 PM | Locked

Those are great quilts Marsha!  I am sure they will be appreciated.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 3:15 PM | Locked

Ramona - am i correct in guessing that the red and white quilt features redwork embroidery?  It is a beautiful quilt!  I Can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 3:17 PM | Locked

Joe:
Lord please bless me with more years, for I have many projects planned, and a mighty stash accumulated.
Oh Joe - my thoughts and prayers exactly!!!!!!

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:01 PM | Locked

Joe,  do you mean Precott Valley, AZ???  If so, I live in Prescott and work at Cracker Barrel in Prescott Valley.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:02 PM | Locked

Ramona its looking good .You doa very nice job .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,985
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:35 PM | Locked

Marie:
 My favorite is your favorite, the way you finished the corners on the top is unique and I love the angled corners on the bottom.

Necessity is the mother of invention - When you lack fabric, improvise!  The corners on top show how the stripes went together.  I cut between the colors and used a narrow seam - about an eighth.  I double stitched when necessary to keep fabric from fraying.  I used a 1/4" seam on the tan print. Stitch-in-the-ditch and diagonal stitching should secure the seams.  I had a fat Qtr to use for the corners. I didn't want to piece the borders because of losing so much fabric when matching the patttern. There is another "cheat" on the bottom border.  That piece didn't have the yellow because that was the selvage edge.  I was able to piece that together from scrap pieces and the fat Qtr Both strips had the red, so that was where I seamed it to still have the edge match the rest.  The 1/4" red binding balanced out the border.

I love challenges.  This one was fun.  I hope do make more with this type of striped/border fabric.  Amazingly 1 1/4 yds stretched very far.  If it had been in one piece, the corners would have been mitered as I usually do with this type of border.

I still had strips and scraps left and used some in my Diamond Strings top.  The scraps will keep showing up in other quilts.  I waste nothing over 5/8", especially strips.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,985
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:46 PM | Locked

Joe:

Lord please bless me with more years, for I have many projects planned, and a mighty stash accumulated.

Joe, I believe you speak for all of us here!  Thank you for putting into words what we all feel in our hearts. 

I have many  grand and great-grandchildren and hope to be here long enough to make quilts for all of them.   6 are graduating from highschool in the next 5 years and I want to make extra-long twin quilts for their long college dorm beds.  Since my arms tire easily, it will be a challenge for me to get them quilted.  I made one and had an Amish girl quilt it, but the quilting cost more than the fabric would for 2 quilts, if I had paid retail!!  I haunt the internet sales, clearances, and shop closings for most of my fabric, so the cost isn't great.  All scraps get used both for large quilts and the wheelchair quilts I love to make.

I sounds like you are getting your knee-quilt finished in time for the cold weather.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:52 PM | Locked

Marge, Angele, Ramona, Marie... thank you all for your lovely compliments on our signature quilt.  I'm not so sure taking such a long time = doing it right!  LOL  

Ramona, your quilting is lovely!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:07 PM | Locked

Carol:

Finally, someone asked about your picture, I was waiting to see if anyone would, could tell it was you, cute, too!

LOL thanks Carol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:15 PM | Locked

Marge, you are correct. It is machine embroidery redwork.  Not done by hand. :-)  As for my quilting, I'm still learning and not very steady. I'm trying to echo the embroidery but I'm just not  smooth. I'm on the part where you stitch real close to the redwork. I've tried the handles for close work and the applique ruler but I guess it just takes practice. I did this on another one of her quilts and never could get it smooth.  I don't know if I should try and go slower or faster.  I have two that I want to do for myself next year like this. One is black and white and one is blue and white. Maybe by the time I get mine done I'll be better but I doubt it. LOL  Thank you for your comments.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:16 PM | Locked

Barbara, thank you!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:17 PM | Locked

Ramona, see I told you.  You have already enhanced the beauty of the quilt

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:19 PM | Locked

Well i have to go back to work tommorrow, seems like I haven't been off for 7 weeks, well I'm always off in the head,

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:26 PM | Locked

Ramona are you trying to echo around the redwork .? I went back and looked it would be very pretty .Are you using you domestic or a longarm.? do you know how to do Mactavishing this would be beautiful on this quilt .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:27 PM | Locked

Leslie ,so sorry for you. I love being retired ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 59 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 57 58 59 60 61 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use