Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 56 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 54 55 56 57 58 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 691
Points 17,320
Brigit-Carol replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 7:24 PM | Locked

Debbie -- what a lovely signature quilt.  I love the pinwheel borders as well.

Marsha -- your lap quilts are so lovely.  I like the idea of rounding/ mitering the corners -- would never that thought of that.  Are you also putting ties on them?  The nursing home I am making lap quilts for want ties on the wheelchair ones so they don't slip off. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:17 PM | Locked

debbie, your signature quilt is very nice

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:21 PM | Locked

marsha, you have done a great job on your lap quilts

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:24 PM | Locked

Ginny:

Marsha, your lap quilts are absolutely stunning in their variety and choice of fabrics.  Yuo put a lot of thought into each one itis clear to see.   Ginny

Ginny, thank you for your comments.  I try to make interesting and colorful quilts for these wheelchair quilts.  Nursing home rooms and wheelchairs need a little color and variety to cheer everyone up.  It is no fun to be in a place like that.  I found that out when I was temporary resident 2 years ago while rehabing a new knee.  I saw how drab the rooms were and asked if there was anything I could make to help out.  The head of nursing is a good friend I have known for many years.  She said they needed wheelchair quilts and measured one that was the best size.  We decided on 36 x 42 as the best size.  I make the tops around 38 x 44 or whatever length works out with the fabrics and design.  This allows for quilting and shrinkage.  The finished quilt is close to the desired size.  A few are a little larger, some as long as 48".  The longer ones will work for the longer-legged men or can be folded over at the top.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:37 PM | Locked

Belfrybat:

Marsha -- your lap quilts are so lovely.  I like the idea of rounding/ mitering the corners -- would never that thought of that.  Are you also putting ties on them?  The nursing home I am making lap quilts for want ties on the wheelchair ones so they don't slip off. 

Thank you for your comments.  I am happy to see how many make quilts for nursing homes, children, servicemen, and others in need.  Our scraps can brighten up the day for those that need a little cheer.

I thought that ties would be a good idea, but they said they would be fine without them.  I guess ties tangle up when being washed.  They have some residents that go through many quilts a day due to spills, etc. Their one request was no tying but using enough machine quilting to survive much washing.  I have 20 finished now and just got batting for the10 more that are waiting to be finished.  I plan to give these to them soon and will start to stockpile some here for whenever they need more or someone else needs one.  I have made one for MIL and will be making another for her caretaker's mother who is 90 and still at home with her husband taking care of her.  She has been a piano teacher for most of her life, so I would like to find some musical theme fabrics for hers.  I have to make more with the angled corners.  That was just a recent idea because of the fabric shortage on that quilt.  I haven't made many tops since finishing that one.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:47 PM | Locked

Gini and Judy, thank you for your comments on my wheelchair quilts.  These are fun to do and small enough for me to handle when quiltiing them on my machine.  I just finished quilting one of my MQ V's yesterday, and that is more of a challenge for these old arms.  I can do them just in short spurts because my arms get tired so quickly.  FMQ would mean less stuffing and turning, but I stitch-in-the-ditch most of the time.  Maybe if I do it enough, they will get a little stronger.  I have 3 mystery quilts waiting for quilting.  One is a long twin.  Will probably get them done one at a time between batches of these smaller ones.  Need to practice FMQ also, but need more TIME!!!  and energy to go with it!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 11,205
Donna replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:50 PM | Locked

getting ready to put the binding on the wedding gift quilt.  and the shower is not until a week from tuesday,  I am way ahead of schedule

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,580
Points 47,560
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 9:05 PM | Locked

Marsha, BB, & Gini... thank you!  Our next big hurdle is figuring how to get the quilt to them :o)  We thought about a road trip (they're only a few hours away) but trying to get a bunch of us together at the same time has proven to be a challenge.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,580
Points 47,560
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 9:24 PM | Locked

Marsha, wow!  Your quilts are all great!!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,580
Points 47,560
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 9:24 PM | Locked

Maggie... VERY pretty!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,580
Points 47,560
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 9:28 PM | Locked

Pam, your work on SammiSue has left me speechless.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,771
Points 67,150
Bonita replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:53 PM | Locked

Debbie-do your quilt is great. It's sure to be well loved.

Marsha, all your quilts show how much you care about brighting someones life. Well done of you.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:59 PM | Locked

Leslie :

Thanks Gini, that pic was taken 46 years ago WOW lol

Finally, someone asked about your picture, I was waiting to see if anyone would, could tell it was you, cute, too!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,580
Points 47,560
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 11:44 PM | Locked

Thank you, Bonita :o)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,416
Points 47,255
Angele replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:55 AM | Locked

Vary nice table topper Annie.  I really like how you made the star.  And who knows....checkers might be in your future!  Lol

Angèle  from NWO

Page 56 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 54 55 56 57 58 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use