Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 48 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 46 47 48 49 50 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:55 AM | Locked

it sounds like you are being kept busy quilting by friends,   make time to do your own quilts. too.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 11,205
Donna replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:57 AM | Locked

Can anyone tell me where to find this type of quilts patterns.  My bf thinks I should start making "art' quilts.  He thinks I can look at a pic and do it but I cant.  I need a pattern.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:58 AM | Locked

pam that quilt is awesome,  the quilting is incredible on it.   can't wait for the rest of the show

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:03 AM | Locked

donna, i was given a picture, i had never made an art quilt before.  you break it down into it's parts. start with the background and work forward.   we have a crazy/art quilt group here.   ask there arn maybe linny can find a couple of my or someone elses quilt showing how you layer, background to foreground.

there are several books on  art quilts, that give you different techniques to use.   i would suggest going to your library or quilt shop and browse the art quilt books

there is a magazine Quilting Arts, that gives great lessons each magazine on different art techniques.

start with something simple and jump right in.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:14 AM | Locked

A good video to watch with the basic techniques is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ja51_yMubo&feature=related and you'll find many more on YouTube.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:18 AM | Locked

donna, your picture is your pattern.    get some butcher paper and draw a square or rectangle the size you want your art quilt.    then measure your photo or picture.  if the mountains are 3/4ths the way up your picture, make them 3/4ths up your butcher paper.    i lightly sketch in the main features of the picture. if i am happy with it i darken the lines, and  trace a duplicate that i can cut apart.  sometimes i need several duplicates.  you can use those duplicates, cut apart for your pattern templates.

once you get the bones of your art quilt in,  then you can work on adding features.   thread painting is really fun. you can make little bushes or trees.   i usually have a sample cloth right next to me to practice stuff on, then i go for it.   what you are creating is not a picture perfect, picture.  you  are making a quilt representation of that picture.  it doesn't have to be perfect.  take a deep breath and play with this.  remember quilting is fun. 

and ask nana, i bet a year ago if you asked if she would ever be making art quilts, she would have given you a big NO.  but ask her today?   i think she has a bit of fun with it.   i'm the same.   i always knew i wanted to branch out into art quilts.  when i was finally pushed into it, i found i loved it.  the trouble shooting is my favorite part.  when i work myself into a corner and don't know how to do the next step,  i sleep on it for a while, dig out all my books on techniques and figure it out.  

do you have your picture that you want to copy?   take it over to the art quilt group and you will get tons of help.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 11,205
Donna replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:34 AM | Locked

Thank you all for the response.  But I dont think this is something this newbie quilter is ready for.  I dont have an artistic bone in my body.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:43 AM | Locked

Donna:

Can anyone tell me where to find this type of quilts patterns.  My bf thinks I should start making "art' quilts.  He thinks I can look at a pic and do it but I cant.  I need a pattern.

Hi Donna, I start my art quilts a little differently than Gini.  Just goes to show that there are a million ways to do everthing in quilting...lol!   I have two scenic quilts in my gallery that you can look at.

I usually use the picture I am starting from, blow it up on software to make it the size I want (usually 4 sheets X 4 sheets or 4 X 6 [copy paper]).  Tape the sheets together to make the larger size picture that I use for my "base" plus I have the original picture printed on 8x11 paper for reference.   I work pretty much the same as Gini, after that.  I usually use tracing paper over this base to trace the different  areas for different types of fabric.  Then, I make a second tracing on copy paper and cut out the different pieces (writing on them what they are and which fabric is to be used).  Then I start roughly (an over-size cutting of the fabric and lay it out on the board...using the tracing paper over it to re-position and trim until I am happy with it.  As Gini said, start with the background and work forward!!!

So, as I said before there are lots of ways to do this...just go for it with a simple picture and see how it goes! 

Nancy Zieman (with Natalie Sewell) has an excellent beginning  art quilt DVD on her website from her PBS TV shows.  The video is currently $14.99 and has the basics...using her method.  Go here:  http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/the+art+of+landscape+quilting+dvd.do?sortby=ourPicks

But do experiment...there are absolutely NO RULES in art quilting...that's why I love it...LOL!

And, don't forget to join the art quilt group...we need more activity there and would love you to join in!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:48 AM | Locked

donna, i'm not artistic, but i can copy nearly anything, and that's all you will be doing.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:53 AM | Locked

You will be copying, you'll just be copying a photo. Start with something small, like a vase of flowers.  You put down the fabric you want for the backing and select the fabric for the vase, flowers etc.  It will be simple, but so are the quilts you started with.  You don't typicaly start quilting with a Radiant Star you start with a nine patch.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:16 PM | Locked

Donna

The art quilts that I have done I didn't have a picture except in my head.  Which can be highly dangerous...LOL.    Some things I use a freezer paper pattern for and some I just start cutting until I get the shape and size I want.   There truly are no rules.,  You just have fun with the project.  And the really nice thing...if you don't tell anyone that you made it from a picture no one knows for sure what the finished project was supposed to look like in the beginning.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:25 PM | Locked

Ok.  This is the latest quilt (for my cousin) that I've been working on.  The center is16"sq.  It's at  74"  now, working towards 98x98. I'm doing another 3" strip of the pink, then 3 or 4" of another white.  Then a thick strip of the dark purple (outside the white as shown) to finish it off.  The theme/design is taken from the cover kit of a Connecting Threads catalog from March 2005.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 176,448
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:33 PM | Locked

Angele, I'm sure CS will want it but just in case I could send you my address, I love this quilt and I love doing Sudoko.  The fabrics look like they could be flannels, are they?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 176,448
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:40 PM | Locked

Mimi, I love your I Spy quilt, so colorful and cheery.  Don't apologize for lurking, look what you've accomplished!  I'm thinking maybe I should do more lurking and more quilting myself.  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 176,448
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:45 PM | Locked

Pam, what an awesome quilt!  Just how big is it, it looks huge!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Page 48 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 46 47 48 49 50 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use