Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 42 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 40 41 42 43 44 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:50 AM | Locked

Nana, I have one of those. Got distracted put the cut pieces in one place, came back and put the pattern somewhere (?) else thinking it was just out and needed to be put away.  Can't remember which pattern it was or where I put it. Of course, I didn't put it in the right place.

You are right about losing the mind. Of course, I lose mine so many years ago, I can't remember when or where I put it, either

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,154
Points 14,985
Dawn replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:16 AM | Locked

I sure hope to work on a quilt today!  I started working on a quilt, but had to change it completely as it wasn't working the way it should, so picke out a whole new pattern/fabrics.  I am very happy w/the new direction!  Can't wait to start it!  Have a great day everyone!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:43 AM | Locked

i'm hunting for a quilt today, does that count?  i have totally lost my celtic applique piece.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:44 AM | Locked

and the pattern, they must be in hiding together, the dirty rats.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:06 AM | Locked

Ms MoomMist:

This is so great to know. I have lots of invisible thread, but have only used it once and took me hours because it always was breaking, gosh never thought to change the tensions... silly me. Thank you, gini & all

MMM, I've been told (and found it to be true) that the invisible thread ages and gets brittle.  Also, a trick that helps is turning down the motor on your DSM so everything is slowed down...that has worked for me.  If your thread has been laying around for "awhile" and not in a sealed bag, and if it still breaks with slowing down the motor, you may need to replace it. 

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:14 AM | Locked

Thanks guys for your reply to my plea for help.  I am using my home machine (Brother) to do the quilting.  I was also told and have seen the problems with using two different color threads for top and bottom of project but I think I will do a practice piece and go for it.  I'm hoping any pull-through will be taken care of inside the batting layer.  I'll keep you posted on my results.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,713
Points 248,432
Thea replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:26 AM | Locked

Maggie - I haven't read the other posts on this - but I use different threads all the time for my quilting... one on top and one in the bobbin - the only thing I do is make sure they are the same weight - if I am using 40 wt on top then it is 40 wt in the bobbin - I tried before to use bobbin thread 60 wt in the bobbin and that did not work for quilting so I learned to use the same wt for my machine.  I do know that others use 60 wt with no problem - I think it depends ont eh machine...

When you make a practice piece - make sure the fabric is the same kind you are using and the batting is the same... I am too impatient still to do these practice pieces - I like to jump right in and work on the quilt so I sometimes end up frogging - but I do check after one pass section to see if all is going well.  

I start with a new needle and a clean machine too!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,713
Points 248,432
Thea replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:31 AM | Locked

Donna:

Finished putting the "sandwich" together and started quilting the quilt below.  It is for a wedding present and has to be completed by October 9th.

Donna, Very pretty Irish chain - how are you quilting it?  an over all design or are you going for something more difficult?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:32 AM | Locked

gini:

Gini, thanks for my first laugh of the day!  What's the name of the movie star that said "you dirty rat", well that's who I thought of when I read your post.  LOL  Jimmy Cagney?

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:35 AM | Locked

Thanks Thea and happy birthday.  I will make sure to use the "same" thread, and a new needle.  I may also use my new machine.  I got a new "quilting" machine from a shopping channel and haven't used it yet.  It's supposed to have more fancy stitches.  I may give some of them a try.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:46 AM | Locked

gini:

We go through this with someone before every retreat.  You know you put them in a special place to be ready to pack for the trip.  Now all you have to do is remember where the special place is.  See how easy that is?!   LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 3:55 PM | Locked

marie,  i think so  it was cagney.   that's way before my time.  :  )    

they weren't hanging out together after all.   i found the applique, and i don't 'need" the pattern, i can make another. so all's good.

on top of that, since i found my applique in the first place i tore apart, i had time to quilt.  now, i should have been cleaning my room, but there were the pieces, laying on the table all cut out, what's a girl to do.   i nearly have the center for the fall swap together, if it weren't for frogging it would be done.  the center part,  that is, there's  still a bit of work left to do the outside rows.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 5:40 PM | Locked
Hi all, especially MSMoonMist! I've used invisible thread from time time and I was warned that it might be old and it might break on me. Remembering my small beading knowledge, I grabbed carnabis (I think that's how you spell it) wax and lightly rubbed my fingers on it and then on the thread that I was going to use. There wasn't much left of the thread and I didn't need very much. It didn't break on me. Here's my question, did the wax work or did I not use enough of the thread to have it break on me anyway? Also, should I have used it or could I have caused damage to my machine?I don't want to do it again and find out I shouldn't have the hard way, next time. Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 6:42 PM | Locked

gini:
that's way before my time.  :  )    

"You Dirty Rat"  LOL  Yep, I'm as old as dirt!  75 this December.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:57 PM | Locked

Marie

I think Gini  is trying to pretend she is younger than she really is.  We are about the same age and I remember Cagney saying "you dirty rat".....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Page 42 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 40 41 42 43 44 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use