Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 41 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 39 40 41 42 43 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:04 PM | Locked

Nana:

It is really sad when you have cut out all the blocks and border strips for a quilt top and then get interrupted and put it away for awhile.  Then when you pull it out you don't remember what you were planning on doing with said blocks and strips.   A mind is a terrible thing to loose....ROFLOL

That is so true! I woke up during the night and thought of what I wanted to do with the Christmas in Aug blocks and now I can't remember....

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,381
Points 29,060
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:25 PM | Locked

Bev :
I woke up during the night and thought of what I wanted to do with the Christmas in Aug blocks and now I can't remember....

That is why I usually keep notepaper and pen by the bed!!!  The best designing time is when you are doing something else or trying to sleep.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,890
Points 69,145
Bonita replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 3:57 PM | Locked

Karla, Joni and Donna no slackers here that I can see. Beautiful job everyone. I'm working on Dawns RR quilt today hope to be done by the end of the week.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 4:02 PM | Locked

I will be machine quilting it.  I have never done hand quilting, since I have been quilting less than 2 years.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 4:39 PM | Locked

Marsha-SM:

Bev :
I woke up during the night and thought of what I wanted to do with the Christmas in Aug blocks and now I can't remember....

That is why I usually keep notepaper and pen by the bed!!!  The best designing time is when you are doing something else or trying to sleep.

I used to do that...but when I woke up I could never understand what my notes meant, and my drawings always looked like an ink blot test.  Now a note pad and pencil by the potty are essential! That's my thinking time. 

Max

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 4:48 PM | Locked

I have been and did work on a quilt.  But I need help.

I have a question. I'm putting together a quilt for my cousin. She's picked some lovely fabrics starting with a med/small dark leaf print in puple,green, gold, pink, teal etc. I'm using that for a center square and building up sashes and triangles (square in a square). The rest of the fabrics are dark purple then light pink, the purple plaid then green then white then gold then white then teal. Most are fairly solid in their prints. We're using a dark purple small floral print for the backing. I'm so afraid to do the actual quilting on this. I don't want to use dark puple on the light pink and white fabrics. It would totally change their look and texture. I don't want to mix thread colors across the backing to match the different sections of the top. What do we think of invisable thread? It is hard to work with? Should I maybe pick a lighter color and just go for it? My FM skills are not yet as good as I'd like them to be, so this is really freaking me out. I don't want to ruin the pretty top with aweful quilting, but I don't want to just do SITD either.

HELP.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:21 PM | Locked

MaggieNae,

I would go with the dyed natual.  This color works very well for me to blend in and not stand out and take away from the fabrics or the block pattens. I've never used the invisible thread.  This is a  very light in color and just blends in nicely. It's a PermaCore by American & Efrid and a Tex 30 weight thread. It runs $11.99 a spool for 6,000 yards. Works well on my Gammill.

http://stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=1790439.4683.s0&lastmenu=submenu-2400.html&product=ThreadPermaCore 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:30 PM | Locked

MaggieNae,  I agree with Ramona.  I use a lot of light gray for quilting.  it crosses colors well without standing out more than I want.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 7:00 PM | Locked

Donna,

You are right! I have done that as well. Mine was more of a silver and it was Bottom Line thread. I used it with a few custom quilts I did where I didn't want the thread to stand out.  Takes more tension adjustments and threading than I like but it does the job.  I had forgotten about that.  Of course, any silver would probably work, it wouldn't have to be Bottom Line.  I Just  thought of the dyed natural because I just finished using it on a couple of floral quilts, which seems to be what she is making. 

Thanks for the reminder on the silver.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 10:57 PM | Locked

invisible thread works well,  just practice on a scrap first to get your tension right.  i would use a fine thread in the bobbin, or if you want to use invisible  thread in the bottom, wind it on the bobbin slowly and don't wind the bobbin full.  i should have asked first,  do you use a domestic machine or long arm, i've never used a long arm and don't know about the ins and out of using invisible thread on one.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 11:02 PM | Locked

MaggieNae

Just because you change color of the thread on the top wouldn't change the color of the thread on the back.  If I am understanding you correctly it sounds like you thought you would change bobbin thread to match top thread.  I have also used invisible thread .  It isn't too hard to work with you just have to adjust your tension a little differently than with regular thread.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 6:46 AM | Locked

Nana:

MaggieNae

Just because you change color of the thread on the top wouldn't change the color of the thread on the back.  If I am understanding you correctly it sounds like you thought you would change bobbin thread to match top thread.  I have also used invisible thread .  It isn't too hard to work with you just have to adjust your tension a little differently than with regular thread.

This is so great to know. I have lots of invisible thread, but have only used it once and took me hours because it always was breaking, gosh never thought to change the tensions... silly me. Thank you, gini & all

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,497
Points 48,230
Angele replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:11 AM | Locked

Donna that is a very 

Pretty quilt. I'm sure the newlyweds will appreciate and treasure this for many years to come.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,497
Points 48,230
Angele replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:20 AM | Locked

Oh Nana, it's is very sad... ROFLOL. I actually pulled out a quilt I had started to cut and for the life of me I just  couldn't figure it out on Tuesday night... So back it went in the bag until I find full use of my brain again.  Lol

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,850
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:47 AM | Locked

Donna, love this quilt. How great. Good job.

Sukochi

Page 41 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 39 40 41 42 43 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use