Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 395 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 393 394 395 396 397 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,139
Points 14,735
Dawn replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:20 AM | Locked

-8 today when we woke up, we will hit our high at midnight of 10!  :-)  My poor GD1 had a tramatic experience, for her, yesterday.  They have the kids wait outside after school, why I don't know w/windchills -20, she was bawling her eyes out when DD got there to pick her up.  She has ALWAYS hated the wind.  It can be a nice warm wind, but she hates it.  It took DD awhile to get her calmed down.  Poor thing.  She is so tiny too, at age 5 she weighs maybe 30 pounds.  She has a mickey in her tummy.  She has no other issues, she is also very tiny, about the height of a 2 year old.  Both her parents are smaller, though not terribly.  She will face some trials in her life, but she is something else!  DD has never treated her differently.  When she started kindergarten this year, it only took a week till everyone in the school and their parents knew who she is.  It is quite something.  We go out to eat w/them and there is usually someone who knows her.

Anyway, you guessed it, going to keep on quilting Nolan's quilt today.  Got the dishes done and laundry started.  DH is almost done w/the laundry room.  Just baseboards and trim around the door!  Sooooooooo excited!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:44 AM | Locked

I have one word for you all this morning...

Brrrrr!

Negative 24 here today.  Schools are running on schedule.  I hope the kids are dressed for it.  

Hey Angele, can't wait to hear how low you dipped!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,292
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 10:18 AM | Locked

Nancy--You asked about Angele's weather. Their weather often runs off a different stream than ours but we also often have lots in common. We dipped to -33 C or -27 F, windchill -45, no F temp equivalency available on my chart but -40 is equal in in C or F. Beautiful sunshine yesterday and again today. The sun makes such a difference for me.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 11:44 AM | Locked

Dawn:
She is so tiny too, at age 5 she weighs maybe 30 pounds.  She has a mickey in her tummy.  She has no other issues, she is also very tiny, about the height of a 2 year old.

Hi Dawn, sorry your GD had to go through that experience.  Hopefully, someone will be talking to the school admin.

Was she a micro-preemie?  

I have a GGD who is 18 pounds at 32 months (will be 3 in April)...who was born weighing 14.7 ounces.  She is the same way!  She is very extroverted and is really a little go-getter!  I know she had to fight hard to survive in her first year, and I think she will always have that fighting spirit with her for life.  Her parents are just now starting her in gymnastics classes - thinking that will be good  for her in the future as her size will limit what athletic things she will be able to do.  Team sports are not likely in her future.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 11:57 AM | Locked

Kris:

This week has been a roller coaster with the weather. Ice storm Tuesday into Wednesday, followed by Stephen King weather (very heavy fog LOL) with temps in the 50s today high winds, downed trees and some power outages. Now we're at 15 degrees.  My body is reacting to the changes and I've had some major head and body aches. I haven't worked a full shift the past three days. TGIF.

Has been much the same here - did the 4-wheel slip-n-slide to pick Rich up at the hospital Tuesday - first 2 miles of dirt road was more like a water covered skating rink/roller coaster with fog (the Stephen King type) and torrential rains.  When the rest of the roads clear off, ours get dangerously icy from the rain and the curves and hills don't help.  Heavy rain washes the sand off and light rain coats it with ice.  Unusual for us to have fog and rain together.  I guess the blacktop and heavier salt buildup keep the hard roads warmer.  Ours just freeze and there isn't enough salt with the sand to do more than keeping the sand from freezing and bridging in the truck.  We got to 65 on Wednesday and then the wind came............ we have had a steady 15 degrees since yesterday afternoon.  Of course the Amish that are working on our stove-room addition don't shut doors so our heat just goes out and cold attacks us in the living room.  They also use my washer and dryer as a workbench and scatter their tool bags, lunch pails, boots, extra jackets and tracked mud and water/snow from the laundry room to the back door so we can't safely move around.  I need to wash clothes today because I haven't had access to the washer all week!!

Kris, you, Thea and I (along with many others)  need protective bubbles around us to protect us from the ups and downs.   We are all so weather sensitive.  I had a headache all day yesterday because of the winds and today I ache from head to toe.  I had to postpone my physical therapy for my knotted-up knee because of the snow and my body (and foggy mind - am constantly correcting typos here).  The PT would help loosen me up and help the pain, but I just couldn't face the white "mountain" outside the door that doesn't even look like the car and the nearly hour drive each way!  6 inches of snow overnight and coming down heavy now.  I tried to see if I could reschedule for this afternoon, but couldn't get my therapist - I have fibromyalgia also so can't take just anyone who is available.  Only 2 of them are learning how to handle fibro along with the knotted knee - caused by combination of fibro and knee replacement.

Take it easy and KEEP WARM everyone!!!  I am going to hit the sewing machine today.  Haven't done any real quilting for weeks.  Need to relax with some FMQ practice on the pile of sandwiched wheelchair quilts waiting for me.  The housework can wait even though the Amish have tracked mud throughout the house.  They ate their dinners in the living room while talking to Rich.  I just swept it up last night and will leave the washing and vaccuming (again) for tomorrow.  I need to buy some hardware and do some electrical wiring before they finish the inside so I won't have to deal with them until next week.  The washing will need to be done, though, but that doesn't aggrivate the pain as much as floors!!!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,139
Points 14,735
Dawn replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 1:06 PM | Locked

Donna B, no she was only 2 weeks early.  I can't remember how much she weighed, but she was tiny.  The Dr. said while she was still in, that there wasn't much placenta fluid.  We don't know if this was a factor in anything.  DD drank over a gallon a day for a few months.  Didn't improve the fluid level.  DSIL's family was in the world book of records for having the tiniest family.  DGS3 is also tiny, but nothing like "big" sis!  :-)  Wow!  You GGD is tiny too!  They do have that extra something that makes them attract attention!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 1:10 PM | Locked

Dawn:

Donna B, no she was only 2 weeks early.  I can't remember how much she weighed, but she was tiny.  The Dr. said while she was still in, that there wasn't much placenta fluid.  We don't know if this was a factor in anything.  DD drank over a gallon a day for a few months.  Didn't improve the fluid level.  DSIL's family was in the world book of records for having the tiniest family.  DGS3 is also tiny, but nothing like "big" sis!  :-)  Wow!  You GGD is tiny too!  They do have that extra something that makes them attract attention!

We need to be thankful for the miracles of modern medicine!  Just a few years ago, our GGD would not have survived...or definitely not without major medical complications.

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,139
Points 14,735
Dawn replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 2:51 PM | Locked

Oh, Yes!  I thank God almost every day!  Yes, she wouldn't probably be here.  W/o that tube in her tummy to feed her, she wouldn't be.  Thank You Lord!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,755
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 2:55 PM | Locked

Just waiting for DH to get home as were running to hospital.

I did cut the restt of fabric for quilt so I'll be sewing soon!

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 2:58 PM | Locked

Wow! Sprout weighs about 18 lbs now...and he's not even 9 mths old! It's hard to imagine someone 3X his age being so small.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 3:39 PM | Locked

Diana:
Hey Kris,    You'll have to go find them bunnies more often.   I won a grand prize of 50 yards of fabric last year.  Won tons of $10 certificates and a $25 bundle of neutrals too.  And for a free site, nothing better.  I told DH I wanted to win a sewing machine and he said 'Why??'   I have 4 and he thinks  that's 3 too many...lol   Silly man.   

Diana,

I haven't missed a hop since 2001, when I got into quilting. I used to do the mall crawl too but that ended. Annilee's treasure hunt was a fun one but she ended that last year. Now it's just shop hop and quilt dash. I'm pathetic I know. LOL I've only won "promotional" prizes but I like the free patterns and pie recipes, the thrill of the hunt plus all the great quilt shops I get to visit.

I felt really good when you won the grand prize at least it was confirmed that real people win these things.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 3:39 PM | Locked

Nana:

Kris

I hope that headache goes away soon.  Feel better friend.

Thanks Nana. I think I just need some rest.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 3:41 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
School shooting in South East Atlanta yesterday.

I read about this. How depressing but glad it wasn't worse.

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Still hived today. Will have to take another Valium, this a.m. If they are not considerably better by noon, Dr. will prescribe Prednisone. Hate that stuff. Puts weight on me. Even the Medrol Dose Pak that is only taken for a week. My cross to bear. God never said it would be easy. He just promised it would be worth it.

I'll be praying you find some lasting relief soon.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,416
Points 47,255
Angele replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:04 PM | Locked

Nana it got up to a balmy -20C today with wind hills of -32C. I was quite happy to have bus duty inside after school, even though I had to run back and forth to tell which group had to come out.  What I don't get is that those students come to school without the proper clothing.  Some are on the bus for over an hour morning and night.  Imagine if it broke down in this weather, or got stuck in a ditch or something! The school is never closed but we have so e times bus cancellation as they can't run when it's -40. But indoor recess os beginning to drive e eryone crazy...me included.  Since I had worked at the high school for the last eighteen years, this recess thing is really getting to me.  Hmmm I  guess its because I feel like I was ran over by a big truck that backed up to make sure it did the job well... Headache, runny nose, sore throat...all for my weekend! I. P*#%%#ed  why can't this be during the week so I can sew peacefully on the weekends?  Oh well, in bed early, and maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:56 PM | Locked

Angele:
Since I had worked at the high school for the last eighteen years, this recess thing is really getting to me.

I've worked at both levels, too. The high school staff have no idea what the elementary staff go through.  One year, a fellow elementary teacher and I routinely played a game of backgammon after school and we'd bet the next day's recess duty on the outcome.  The highlight for me was a 4-week stretch in the middle of winter when I didn't have to go outdoors at all!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 395 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 393 394 395 396 397 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use