Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 392 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 390 391 392 393 394 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,144
Points 14,805
Dawn replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:05 PM | Locked

Still snowing, I can see just a bit, they are saying 4", we will see.  No schools open anywhere in the middle of the state.  DH made it to work, said the roads weren't too bad, but the more traveled were more packed and slippery. 

I am just quilting away.

CC, sorry about the clingy, he will get over it someday.   :-)

Sukochi, glad you are ok!

Barbara, stay warm!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 266
Points 4,965
Lesley replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:34 PM | Locked

Hope you are all keeping safe and warm in the snowy parts. We in the UK have now got rain and strong winds. Getting colder again towards the weekend.

Not much going on here apart from work. Very tired today so have done nothing since I got home. Waiting for DH to get home he has been to the south coast shoud be home in another hour. I really need to sort the borders out for Goddaughters quilt I have done a rough calculation and I don't have enough of the fabric that I wanted to us so will have to find something else.

Off to get dinner ready as I am very hungry today for some reason.

x

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:38 PM | Locked

ls2116:

I'm still cutting fabric .  I know this sounds strange, but I have question if anyone has a thought on it let me know. I have 6" block that I'm cutting diagonal for hst the print is throwing me a curve one fabric is like waterwith ripples i guess you call it one way design. the hst get sewn together into the point of square on point block and the one way design is tediouse trying to keep the print going same direction do you have a clue that could help me ?

you will need to cut twice as many triangles as you need.  find a project to use the others in. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 1:10 PM | Locked

We had gorgeous weather yesterday with sunshine and temps in the mid 70s.  Today the temps are steadily dropping and we have had drizzle all morning.   We are expected to get downpour rains with winds in the 50 mph range this evening.  This weather is just a tad ridiculous.

I have been working on the MQ pattern most of the morning and figuring yardages.   Need to make a practice block or two and see how everything goes but I think I have everything ready for you guys.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 1:16 PM | Locked

Very scary afternoon. Now, we have lake back property. And a water fall down through the front woods. One town south west of us got hit and is blown away. Church is cancelled for tonight. Our County and the next one down, where we go to church, are both flooded. Still raining. But, we can breath a sigh of relief right now. Hope it is over totally soon.

Got to get in the sewing room, finally and back to work. Need to get these two quilties out of her with the next two weeks.

CC enjoy it now, this is your last cling wrap. Or, I think it is. But, who knows?

HAve a great rest of the day, all.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 1:18 PM | Locked

Nice and warm here, but the wind is blowing something fierce.  Other parts are under tornado warnings, just praying they don't harm anyone.  Just came back from lunch with dear friend,all you can eat buffet, very good and tasty.  I have mostly veggies, but did get a little crazy and had some awesome banana pudding.

Was able to get a to go cup and brought my sweet tea home.  I'm not suposed to have sweet tea, but could not resist, being very bad girl today. 

Tonight is Mexican dinner at church, prepared by our Latino members.  I'm so excited over this dinner and then church.  Gonna be a wild ride today, will be good manana.

Was at Cardiologist yesterday...he was not happy, did some tests, I 'm experiencing irregular heart beats and some kind of fibrlation...He has upped one of my meds by double and wants me to come in for more tests and another appt in 6 weeks instead of usual 6months.  I knew this was coming, I'm much too short of breath, not getting enough oxygen and too much pain.

I'm very active so that is why he is not happy with my ticker, talking about putting me on Kumadin and off the Plavix.  Too bad I 'm not filthy rich, I could go to France and grow another heart muscle to replace the dead one from my own stem cells.  We are at least 10 years from getting approval to do in USA, and we so far behind medically, France is 20 years ahead of us.  He has sent several of his patients who had the $$$ to afford a trip to France and the procedure, with success.  I definitely don't have $$ but would gladly be a guinea pig for them.

I'm not complaining, just venting.  I'm thankful for every day my Lord and Savior gives me, it just rubs me the wrong way when our government drags their feet while many die because of it.  Things are getting so bad here in the USA, my dearest friend has to work 2 jobs so she can have insurance and her co pays are astromonical, but at least now she has been able to have the surgeries necessary for her to continue to work 2 jobs to pay for medical insurance.  What is wrong with this picture?  Really, it gets my goat when illegals get free government services and we have to ruin our health trying to stay healthy.  Please don't get me wrong, I'm not hitting on any particular ethnic group, just Pi**ed that my hard working friend along with millons of others don't get the services they deserve.  I have excellent medical coverage, but it breaks my heart to see so many others who don't.

I would still love to go to France and see if they could improve on what has been damaged.  My Dr is now concerned regarding more attacks and possible stroke(s)  Any one have an exceedingly rich friend who needs to spend some big $$?.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 1:53 PM | Locked

Thanks gini I'm gonna be praying now I can keep design matched as I sew now.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 2:13 PM | Locked

FIL being taken to hospital just got call 

Lajuan I'm glad to hear your not flooded so many people are now

Joni I know all about irregular heartbeats one minute I can be at cardiologist with him scheduling me for er the next I can tell him it stopped and I don't need er because it returned to normal.  I know they can be painful and scary hang in there and the best of luck with everything.  I'd write more but got to get ready to go to hospital.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 2:50 PM | Locked

Oh, Joni. Had I the money I would just sent you to Paris in a heartbeat. We will both play the lottery. Maybe one of us will win, or both! I will pray for that money tree in the back to come back to life. Though I really think it is done for. Oh, woe is me.

You are so right about the situation in this country. I am probably going to lose this tooth, as with the temp crown, it still is so sore. And, I can't afford to have the root canal form 1976 redone. $2500. is not in my bank account. So, yet anouther tooth gone. Guess the dirveway, and new floor were worth it. I am beginning to wonder.  Don't know what we will do. We have no medical ins., other then Meidcare. If that coverage takes a hit, so do we. Scary times. I wish we had had more sense when we were young ,and thought we would live forever. I scoffed at a friend who had every kinda of health ins available. Took most of her paycheck, but they have sure gotten great health care ,all these years.

Still raining. Think Jim headed out to start an ark. Hope he builds it fast. Blub, blub......

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 3:10 PM | Locked

I have been really down for the last week or so since Barbara left.  I used up what little energy that I had helping her baste her quilts.  It really wiped me out.  I haven't lost energy like this in a few years - well, since I got myself regulated to what I could and could not do - I think I was already depleted when Barbara arrived as Jay's workplace has been fighting the flu and my body is fighting those germs... and to tell the truth - I thought we were going to baste maybe 2 or 3 quilts - we did 11 - amazing that I didn't fall out while Barbara was here.  I am very very happy that she has all these quilts to quilt now...and when I have 2 or 3 that need basting I hope she will come back and help me baste mine... 

Then I started to feel better - I actually have started to sew each day again - nothing spectacular believe me - just some samples for my new group Christmas All Year Round which I invite you to come over and join us.  I am making simple projects that will be posted on a monthly basis - things that you can make all year long and put away for gifts for your kids, grand kids, nephews/nieces - Mom/Dad - brother / sister or just a friend.... Small things that are made with sewing and quilting skills.  

At the present we are all making a quilt from the new magazine that MSQC collaborated with F&P - it is called Quilting Quickly and the quilt is made with the LeMoyne Star - I have done a small tutorial on their method for making 1/2 square triangles for this block.  We are having fun making it and I am looking forward to making a couple of these and put them away for Christmas gifts.  

Okay - then what happens - yes - feeling better - starting to sew - well - nice person that I am - my cat is laying on the end of my chair and I don't feel like rooting him off so that I can put the chair down to sit down and put my socks on - I have stood many times and put them on - no big deal right - well from now on Cat will be moved - as I was looking towards the TV in my back livingroom in between the 2 chairs - with my back to the stairs - I lifted up left foot and put my sock on - no problem - then lifted up right foot and next thing I remember is I am on my back on the stairs... I don't remember falling but remember hitting the stairs - the pain was excruciating - I crawled to DH's chair and cried into the quilt laying on it - I have a huget bruise on my hip area towards the middle of my back - I hit that inside portion of the hip and lower back... I can sit and stand by movement after sitting is painful - walking is okay - but I learned a lesson... Cat you will not be sitting on end of chair if I have to put on socks... 

I read up about why this might be happening and it has to do with my degenerative disc disease and the deterioration of my vertebrae in my back.  I have added exercises for strengthening my back muscles and balance to my morning rituals - all my range of motion exercises each day - and now just a few more minutes of balancing strengthening exercises... 

If you have ideas for small projects for Christmas or gifts through out the year - please come over and share them in my group - email me and I'll open a thread just for you!  Give us pictures and an idea how to make it.  

Love you all - sorry I have not been posting over here but my energy levels have been so low that posting in Christmas was about all I could do.  Now though I hope to be back to posting here and there... or not...teehee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 3:21 PM | Locked

Did you know laughter is the best healer for pain... my friend out in UTAH sent me a picture today... and I laughed and laughed - eased up my mood and my pain... thought I would share it with you...

Do you know what 2 feet of snow look like?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140
Elaine Phillips replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 6:37 PM | Locked

I haven't been up to much today. I spent all day yesterday with a dear family who just lost their mom/sister/wife/aunt/friend. I have been friends with this family since I went to nursing school with one of the sisters. And that was 48 years ago. It was a long, sad day, but also a fun, laughing day. They are a dear family.

So today I rested, and what do you know? I found all the shop hop bunnies. I haven't done the shop hop in a long time.

Now I must get busy cleaning out the quilt studio. I have been on that job for 2 weeks now.

I hope all of you that are ailing get better soon. I hope that all of you in the path of bad weather escape without harm. It is cold here, only in the 20's. Monday it was 75 F. here in Kansas. Yesterday it was in the low 30's.That is our Kansas weather.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 28,590
Marsha-SM replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:04 PM | Locked

Thea:

Do you know what 2 feet of snow look like?

Thanks for the laugh, Thea.  I wish we could get that kind of 2 feet of snow than the kind we get!

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes for Rich.  He came out of surgery with flying colors!  They weren't sure whether he would need a full or partial knee and thankfully he needed only the partial.  The rest of his knee was perfect (lucky man!) .   I brought him home yesterday afternoon and today he has been walking a lot without the walker!!  He is supposed to at least keep the walker ahead of him, but he parks it in the middle of the floor for me to trip over!  He has very little pain and is taking the minimum amount of pain meds - but he is taking them.  The Dr warned him not to let the pain get started because it is so much harder to stop when it really gets going (don't I know!!). 

Right now I am exhausted from all the driving and also going to physical therapy for the knee I had replaced a few years ago.  Because of fibromyalgia, the muscles knot up behind the knee.  After therapy today I was able to move the knee so much easier.  It has been so stiff.  The massage (torture!) to the knots is very painful, but is really working.  I wish I could keep them massaged myself, but it is difficult to put enough pressure on the right spots myself.  Hopefully the new stretching exercises will help prevent the problem in the future.  Of course the exercize part of the therapy stresses the bad knee (which should have been replaced a few years ago also) so it is talking loudly right now!  Time to get this tired body to bed, but have to tend to my "big baby" first.  He needs shots to prevent blood clots twice a day, so I have to stay up to do that and help him change his clothes as he isn't supposed to bend his knee too much yet.  The shots should be a little revenge for me, but he doesn't even feel them!  They hurt me quite a bit when I had them and left behind huge bruises.  They go in the belly, so I was black and blue from side to side.  Rich doesn't even get a pink mark.  He didn't have them bother him when he had his hip replaced last year either.  The county nurse came to see him today and said "dull the needles" in a joking way, but he probably wouldn't even feel that.  The last time he had the shots, the nurse in the hospital told me not to let the alcohol dry before giving the shot - the sting would be a little revenge, but he probably wouldn't have even felt that!

As for the plumbing, I grew up in a family that moved every 1 1/2 years.  We moved to a house, renovated it, and when it was done to my parent's liking, they got bored and moved again.  My brother and I learned by doing.  I had a hammer in my hand before I was 8 years old.  I do carpentry work of all kinds, plumbing, electrical, and anything else you can think of.  When I was younger, I did all the roofing until the knees got so bad I couldn't kneel on the shingles any more.  I taught all our children how to repair a house and all the household survival skills they would need.  The boys learned to cook and sew, if necessary, and the girls learned the basics of house repair.  They have all used those skills in their adult lives.

Hope the weather isn't too dangerous or cold where you live.  Here we seem to be on a rollercoaster ride.  Yesterday I drove on glare ice while it was raining and today it was 65.  The winds picked up this afternoon and we will probably be near 0 again by tomorrow night with snow returning.  I would rather it would keep a steady temperature - this snow-ice-mud routine is tiring and nasty to drive in.  Take care out there and stay healthy, and those that are ailing, get well quick!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:08 PM | Locked

comment deleted.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:32 PM | Locked

Feel better soon, Thea.   Miss you.    Ginny

Page 392 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 390 391 392 393 394 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use