Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 391 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 389 390 391 392 393 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,585
Points 47,630
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:59 AM | Locked

Barbara, you inspire me to FMQ more!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:02 AM | Locked

Debbie, thank you ,these wer not hard to do just alittle time consuming ,but thats okay .it you take your time they will come out great . ,also you can use meandering if yo don't want to use mactavishing .  or any other filler for that part of the block .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,770
Points 39,155
ls2116 replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:06 AM | Locked

I'm still cutting fabric .  I know this sounds strange, but I have question if anyone has a thought on it let me know. I have 6" block that I'm cutting diagonal for hst the print is throwing me a curve one fabric is like waterwith ripples i guess you call it one way design. the hst get sewn together into the point of square on point block and the one way design is tediouse trying to keep the print going same direction do you have a clue that could help me ?

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:29 AM | Locked

ls2116:

I'm still cutting fabric .  I know this sounds strange, but I have question if anyone has a thought on it let me know. I have 6" block that I'm cutting diagonal for hst the print is throwing me a curve one fabric is like waterwith ripples i guess you call it one way design. the hst get sewn together into the point of square on point block and the one way design is tediouse trying to keep the print going same direction do you have a clue that could help me ?

MMMMMmmmmm - Pick a different fabric?

LOL - Sorry, I had to say it...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:30 AM | Locked

Barbara, You have also inspired me to even TRY to do any type of machine quilting. Any beginner hints that would help me start this journey? I know, at your beginning, you posted pictures and hints, but I can't find that forum.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,343
Points 20,255
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:40 AM | Locked

Sheila:

ls2116:

MMMMMmmmmm - Pick a different fabric?

LOL - Sorry, I had to say it...

Thank you, Sheila.  I was biting my tongue.  Is, I have nothing for you.  Sorry.  Sadly, my other suggestion would have to be just try not to let it bother you.  Lol.  I have one quilt in progress where I screwed up the directional fabric on some hexagons and I'm definitely leaving them as-is.  I actually have several quilts with problems that I never fixed.  I just explain to people that this was a practice quilt while I was working on xyz new technique.  lol.  I have a lot of "practice quilts" and I love them all.  :)

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 632
Points 9,395
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:42 AM | Locked

IS, maybe cut a larger block (you'll have to do the math) and do two diagonal cross cuts. Your pattern won't spin that way with the rest of the block, but will all "flow" in the same direction.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 10:37 AM | Locked

I looked at a picture, the one I downloaded here of the quilt top I just finished for Afton. It has gone to the FMQ'er now and is part way done.  I see ,in that picture, a MAJOR mistake. Well, no way to fix it now. Will just have to apologize to the Mom. And, shrink away in embarrasment! This makes me ill. Has this ever happened to anyone else. So many eyes, on that photo ,and not one picked it up. A big mistake in piecing in the upper letft corner.

Debbie introduced me to the Magizine, Quilting Arts. Oh, my this is a quilter/postcard creator's dream. I can't afford the subscription price of $34.95, but did download the 2011 editions for $9.99.  All the mags from that year. So, much great info and direction,s hints, and tip. Now, I am totally jazzed.

Starting to learn to machine quilt. Taking tiny ,baby steos. Starting with the simple foot ,I have made and sandwiched, basted, and tried all the stitches. Now, I move to the walking foot and start again. This is os scary. But, I have asked for Barbara's advice, and there is none better then she. No offense meant but we have all seen her progress evolve and it is faboulous.

Better get off of here. Very rough weather. Threats of tornados, heavy rain, high winds. Gonna be a good day to hide under the covers. Wish we had a safe room, basement or some other place, tornado proof. This is the worst part of mobile home living. No place to run.

Pray for our safety today. Love you all. Have a very quilty day.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 10:38 AM | Locked

Barbara,

Your practing efforts are really showing.  Just beautiful work on your 'practice block'!   So glad you are enjoying the FMQ.  

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:06 AM | Locked

Finally finished the bi-annual housecleaning. What a pain! Even with DH helping it took most of 3 weeks.  In my 'younger years' I usually moved a couple of times a year.  That let me avoid defrosting the refrigerator (I'm dating myself talking about that fun chore!), and having to really deep clean a house.

Took the old computer to the shop because it was running slow. Seems a giant dust bunny had clogged a vent and was making it overheat. Dust Bunnies are evil and they can kill a computer! Looks like I'll be on a zero-dollar fabric budget for about the next six months to pay for the new lap top. DH wanted to be unhappy about the death of the old computer, but it did allow him to get a laptop with newer software and goodies on it.  Good thing I have a fairly well stocked stash of fabric for projects that should carry me for several months!

Today I plan on cutting and pinning pieces for more stars for a QOV project. Just need 9 more blocks and it will be ready to sash and border.  The top will be too big for me to handle the quilting so once the top is done it will be passed on to another quilter for completion.    I'll post a pic of the top when it's done.

Rest of the day will be filled with keeping the birdbaths free of ice and snow, filling the feeders, cooking a couple of big pots of chilli and stew to be divided up into individual serving size containers and frozen for later use.  Thought about shoveling the snow off the sidewalk, but my hands and back let me know that wasn't a good idea!

Ya'll try to stay healthy, and get some sewing time!  I'll be lurking and keeping an eye on you.

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:13 AM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Barbara, You have also inspired me to even TRY to do any type of machine quilting. Any beginner hints that would help me start this journey? I know, at your beginning, you posted pictures and hints, but I can't find that forum.

Join the FMQ group, Sukochi. That's were all of our hints ended up.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:26 AM | Locked

You might be a quilter if your baby comes crawling to you with his sleeper decorated with  the pins he's spilled....   ARGH!! His daddy is fussing at me for leaving them within his reach, but they were put away in a drawer ... How he got to 'em I shall never know!!

The little charmer is being a regular little cling-on today. He keeps insisting that I pick him up, and when I do he starts bouncing my bladder, biting my shoulder, pulling my hair and generally just beating me up. I keep passing him off to his Daddy, who promptly sets him back down. He makes a beeline for me and we start all over.        ...Mom needs a day off.

It was -5 with high winds yesterday. Today it's supposed to start warming back up and they say we'll get up to the 40's by Friday. Crazy....

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:43 AM | Locked

chocake2:

It was -5 with high winds yesterday. Today it's supposed to start warming back up and they say we'll get up to the 40's by Friday. Crazy....

It is coming your way CC!  

We had Chinook (warm) winds overnight (40 degrees) and it's up to 45 degrees now at 9:30 in the morning.  It's really drippy out there right now and I hate to think what it will be like when this blows through and we are back in the teens.  I'm afraid rock hard ice is in our future!

Sorry about the cling-er...been there, done that, but it will pass.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:43 AM | Locked

Trees down all over the County. We are blessed to be down, in our little holler ,where we stay relatively safe. Police say straight line winds in town, 8 miles from us. This seems to be quietening down ,even here, now. Our neighbor's spring has overfloowed its banks, and it racing through the woods, behind us. Thankfully, going away from us. Ah, queit now. Tornado in Adairsville, I-75 North to Chattanooga is shut down in both directions. God blessed us today!. Thank you, Lord.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:00 PM | Locked

27 miles north of Georgia line, just hard rain, tmps dropping, no wind at all. Earlier this,morning was heavy thunder. I seriously miss the sun. Good napping weather. Need to go to grocery store but we will manage till tomorrow. Stay safe.

Nan

Cleveland, TN

Page 391 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 389 390 391 392 393 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use