Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 355 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 353 354 355 356 357 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:12 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

I was pleased to find two open hours today to play with my new Featherweight.  I wound a bobbin and sewed a few lines of stitching to check the tension.  Everything seems to be working well.  I have a lot of cleaning to do before I snap some pictures.  I also found some sites from which to print user and service manuals, and I ordered oil and lubricant, and four rubber feet to replace those attached to the bottom of the machine.   

Nancy - I am so happy that you got to play with your new toy - can't wait to see her all cleaned up and ready for public viewing - in the meantime I hope you have tons of fun!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:17 AM | Locked

Sheila:
Ah, Thanks Kris! I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.
Sheila, In going through a magazine the other day I saw this notice and thought you might get a kick out of it...

"Public Notice:  Due to the recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil, plus the current state of the economy, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off... Have a nice day!"

teehee...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:44 AM | Locked

I'm hoping today to finish some quilting on a charity quilt and do the binding.  Also to start cutting for our BOM at our quilt guild.  DH had to do a repair job on a bathtub vent in our Master Bath.  We thought it was just a septic tank full and had that pumped last week.   Master bath is farthest from the tank so I guess it was a bit of a problem.  It has a short vent pipe (building codes here in Tn. are poor at best...or inspections don't exist).   Well, DH got it all fixed so we're back in business.  Hated having to go all the way to the other end of the house to use the facilities. 

We're going to be travelling to upstate NY soon.  DFIL is weakening and he has 2 tumors started on his chest and back.  We don't know how much longer he has, so DH wants to go up and spend some time while he can.  Dad is terminal and there's nothing more they can do for him.  He's almost 84 and he's in a nursing home.   We're looking for a good clear stretch of weather where we won't have to deal with a lot of snow or ice.  Since moving to Tn., we don't deal with much of it anymore.  We'll be driving the van and it's all set with a bunk, cooler and such.  DH can stretch out and sleep while I drive.  We'll make sure we have lots of groceries in case we get stuck somewhere.  It's set up almost like a mini-camper.  If there's a campsite or even a parking lot, we can sleep and have a porta-potty and all. 

Thank goodness for a great cleaning lady.  She'll take care of kitties and the house for me.  I'll need to do something special for her when we get back.

Well, need to get some laundry done and packed so I'll be ready when he is.  Wish us luck and a special thoughts.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:50 AM | Locked

Thea:

Sheila:
Ah, Thanks Kris! I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.
Sheila, In going through a magazine the other day I saw this notice and thought you might get a kick out of it...

"Public Notice:  Due to the recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil, plus the current state of the economy, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off... Have a nice day!"

teehee...

ACK!! That was sew not nice, Thea!! ROFLMAO! Murphy got involved again... ~sigh~

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
MelodyP MO/KS replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:00 AM | Locked
Thea, I know you were telling this to encourage Brandy, but your words have been encouraging. My burden is too stop smoking. Gaining weight isn't an issue right now, but being able to breath is. Thank you for sharing and I hope you find relief for your hurting body.

MelodyP

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:04 AM | Locked

Diana, East TN

Praying you have a safe trip and pray your time with DFIL is good time.  Looking to hear from you soon.  Godspeed.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:17 AM | Locked

MelodyP MO/KS:
Thea, I know you were telling this to encourage Brandy, but your words have been encouraging. My burden is too stop smoking. Gaining weight isn't an issue right now, but being able to breath is. Thank you for sharing and I hope you find relief for your hurting body.

MelodyP - I quit smoking in 2000. I have to say that I found the key to success was to truly want to quit. If the mindset isn't there, it's very, very tough. I was having a lot of shortness of breath trouble and was diagnosed with COPD not long after I quit. I used the patch for the first 30 days and have been smoke free ever since. DH struggles constantly. Another aid is to do something that will keep your hands busy (besides eating) to keep that hand to mouth motion occupied. You CAN do it!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:45 AM | Locked

Annie:

Finally got my sewing room back after 5 weeks of family in the guest/sewing room.  Feels so good to get it re-organized.  Now my next project is to cut down all my scraps into those lumberyard dimensions.

Annie, I love your space. It is so light and airy what a wonderful place to retreat to.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:46 AM | Locked

Angele:

Spud, this is great news! I'm so glad your daughter got a job so quickly. Great for her self esteem.  I hope the grand kids are adjusting well to their new school.

Thanks Angele, she is very happy. The kids are adjusting well and even love playing out in the snow and cold. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:48 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
I was pleased to find two open hours today to play with my new Featherweight.

I'm so happy for you Nancy. You two will be humming along and making all kinds of wonderful things.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:51 AM | Locked

Kris:
That's great Spud. I hope a teaching position opens up real soon for her. At least now her foot's in the door.

Thanks Kris, that is exactly what I told her. We are all so thankful for the job...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
MelodyP MO/KS replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:51 AM | Locked
Sheila, thank you so much for your encouraging words. I too was diagnosed with COPD about 5-6 years ago and still I smoke. You are right you have to want to. There is the problem. I don't want to, but if I want to breath I will. The Chantex is what helped me be able to cut my smoking in half. My insurance stopped paying after 11 mo. Since Oct. I have maintained the amount and will quit. I have not given up. Listing the advantages, and keeping my hands and mind busy for me is key. Even though I love to quilt, knitting and old fashion Lemon drops really helped. I need to get home to see my Dr. so that we can begin again. And I will. I love success stories and hang on to them, along with saying to myself,"I can do it"

MelodyP

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:13 AM | Locked

It's finally my turn. By the time Dh got home last night I was feeling a bit run-down. 2 hours later I had a high fever and everything else that goes with this germ. I was in bed by 7:30. Hurt to get up with Sprout for his midnight feeding. Dh had a leter shift today so he got the kidsoff to school. He'd have stayed home to take carr of us but he has manditory training today.'wish Sprout wasn't so busy.  Little guy knows Momma is off and he's climgy. I just have to get through til the school bus drops the kids off and then i can quit for the day.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:21 AM | Locked

So sorry you are under the weather CC - feel better soon (((HUGS)))

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:47 AM | Locked

Brandy:

Yesterday, quite last minute, I was provided the opportunity to go through Financial Peace University at my church...for free...IF I completed it.  If I do not complete it, well, I get to pay them $90.00.  Scary.  I nearly backed out, but they have a kid's program up there on Wednesday nights, so I am stepping completely outside of my comfort zone and going through FPU.  It's 9 weeks long, so only 8 to go.  :)

Good for you, Brandy.  Stick with it.  If you need encouragement, just let us know.  

As a side note, I have a financial website that I really like a lot.  They have a "financial bootcamp" and a few programs you can do, but also just lots of great articles to help with getting your finances under control.  They also do a weekly email where they highlight a member who writes about their own financial situation.  The members who write these are in all different situations, at all different levels of financial security.  Most are young women.  I think the site is designed for young women.  I think it's really helpful to hear people at all levels discussing these things openly.  It's helped me a lot and I feel like I'm in a better place financially because it's changed my attitudes a bit and made finances in my mind more - through reading other's stories and whatnot.   I think everything on the site is free.  It's called LearnVest.  Check it out if you're interested.

Raleigh, NC

Page 355 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 353 354 355 356 357 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use