Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 349 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 347 348 349 350 351 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:01 AM | Locked

Ginny:
OMG, Sukochi-- $18.00 a yard
I hope that was extra wide backing.  Most of our new fabric in the shop is hitting the floor at $10.99 a yard and up.  Batiks are hitting $12.99.  That is why I usually hang out in the clearance area.  :o)

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:06 AM | Locked

Spud - glad to hear that Brandi found a job.  Hopefully a teaching position will come available with the start of the next school year.  They are staying with you now, aren't they?  Seems like the boys are adjusting pretty well.  Hope they are all making new friends at school to hang out with. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:11 AM | Locked

Marge (AKA Dimples):

Spud - glad to hear that Brandi found a job.  Hopefully a teaching position will come available with the start of the next school year.  They are staying with you now, aren't they?  Seems like the boys are adjusting pretty well.  Hope they are all making new friends at school to hang out with. 

Thanks Marge. They are staying with us and the boys are adjusting well. The biggest shock was the weather, it has been so cold here and we have had snow on the ground since the day after they arrived. It snowed again yesterday. I think they have made friends, the youngest only goes to school every other day and they have a 4-day a week school.  Brandi said maybe she would get some Fri sub jobs at other schools in the area. It is all working out and we are just trusting the Lord to provide. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 375
snpyrunner replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:15 AM | Locked

I am happy that she was able to find a job.  Myself?  I am an art teacher and 6 credits shy of being certified in Special Needs (but can't afford to return to college to finish the credits).  I've been out of school since 2007, and there is no jobs in site.  The few short term leaves that are available I either don't get called for, or I get an interview but never get the job.  It's getting tiring, I feel like a dog chasing it's tail.  My husband and our twins and I are barely scraping by.  So I understand that sigh of relief upon her face!  A friend told me today that God must have another plan for me.  All I can say is that I hope His plan isn't this, to struggle to get by and to never have a career.

On a more positive note, the twins and I are chillin' today.  This mom is still recovering from taking them out past their bed time to a work party (they were up ALL night long... every couple of hours).  My husband and I got zero sleep!  Now that the holidays are past I am focusing on tying up some loose ends, like painting the animal shelves I've had base-coated for months now.  Also, working on cutting hexagons from fabric for an I-Spy quilt.  My Swap-bot friends so generously donated many fabrics for this, very grateful!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:15 AM | Locked

Ok - have the day off.  Started the laundry so now I can go and hang out in the sewing room until the dryer nags me.  I need to walk next door to take the kids mail from Sat. over and see if I can cash in my "girls' day out" certificate this coming Sat. since I will be off.  I have a big box of Hot Pockets that my son will eat ( not on my diet ) and some cat treats that our two have stuck their noses up at to take over to her too.

Sherrie brought me three big bags of scraps yesterday.  i always like going through her stuff 'cause I always find something to add to my scrap basket or orphan blocks.  Last time I found a dozen orphan blocks made out of cat fabric that I will take to Jeanne.  She will find a way to work them into one of the Humane Society quilts.   

I was talking to Sherrie's hubby about his dog training -- search and rescue dogs.  Rich works for Southwest Airlines so we got to talking about airlines as Dave's dad retired from Eastern before they went under.  Rich told me that he was in maintenance at Eastern until they went out of business.  I asked him if he knew Willie Greenberg.  He said, "Oh yes, I knew Willie Greenberg!"  Dave's dad used to be a real pistol!  He was the guy who inspected the repair and maintenance work before the planes went back out on the line.  He was a REAL tough nut to crack and apparently had a really short fuse.  By the time I met him, he was just this nice little old man.  :o)

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:34 AM | Locked

Marge (AKA Dimples):
Cc - it is always a joy to see your little glass creations.  I especially love the quackers.

Thank, Marge. I have a friend who's pet ducks are named "Cheez" and "Quackers." Maybe she needs rubber ducky bobbles?  Na...She'd never wear em.

We spent all day in town yesterday and seemed to get very little done. The cupboards are restocked... at least until the kids get home from school and hit them like a swarm of hungry locusts (is there any other kind?).  Sprout's fussy this morning and seems to be coming down with a fresh virus. *Sigh.* I knew we shouldn't go to Walmart. Everyone in that place seems to be hacking and wheezing this time of year... They could use that in their advertising:  Get a fresh new cold, Free, while you do your shopping!! Our poor checkout clerk looked like she should have been home in bed, but she said she didn't have sick leave and couldn't afford to loose a day's wages.

I'm hopeful thatt, starting today, I'll be able to get back to my own routine. I've been marching to everyone else's drum through the holiday rush and rash of fevers. Everytime I think I can get things on a more even keal, another wave of crisises(?) comes crashing down on us. At least I can't complain about being bored...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,525
Points 50,995
Ginny replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:36 AM | Locked

Nope Marge, no diabetes, but I do have venous insufficency which leads to swelling in my lower legs.  I am supposed to wear support hose, but with the arthrits so bad in my thumbs it is virtually impossible for me to pull them up.  So unless I sit with my feet up all day, they tend to swell.  Of course, I was doing so much sewing for Christmas that my feet were seldom down.  It would help if I would get up and walk on the treadmill frequently, but I get so engrossed in my projects that I don't want to stop. --and the treadmill sits right next to my sewing machine.   Guess I have learned my lesson now though.  Don't want to go thru this again.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,525
Points 50,995
Ginny replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:39 AM | Locked

So glad to hear that your daughter has found something for the time being.  At least she is in the system and hopefully it will lead to a full time teaching job.   God is good!      Ginny

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:46 AM | Locked

Ok Guys, 

I seem to be in the doldrums.  I need a pick me up on the quilting end of things.  It is so blasted cold and has been for more than 15 days.  The inversion is getting worse with no relieve in sight.  Every time I start a project, I just stare at it. It is hard to be inspired when your sewing room is still packed up in storage and everything you want is at the storage unit.  I have quilting tonight at the church, maybe this will help me feel better.

On an up note, It looks like my husband may have a new job with Andraus Trucking company out of Salt Lake City. He would be on a dedicated run from here to Canada and back each week.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:03 AM | Locked

Marge (AKA Dimples):

Sherrie brought me three big bags of scraps yesterday.  

Fun stuff!  I love scraps.. My quilt shop has a giant scrap bin and you can get as much as you can fit into a ziplock sandwich bag for $3 - or a bigger bag for $8.  It's a great pick-me-up.  And I can fit a lot of fabric into a ziplock sandwich bag!

Wendy :

I seem to be in the doldrums.  I need a pick me up on the quilting end of things.  It is so blasted cold and has been for more than 15 days.  The inversion is getting worse with no relieve in sight.  Every time I start a project, I just stare at it. It is hard to be inspired when your sewing room is still packed up in storage and everything you want is at the storage unit.  I have quilting tonight at the church, maybe this will help me feel better.

Sometimes I get this way in the middle of big projects and it helps me to take on something smaller that I can finish in a few hours or a day.  Even if it's something small, the finished product always cheers me up and motivates me to keep working on the big guys.  Or, does your LQS have a scrap bin??  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:21 AM | Locked

chocake2:

Marge (AKA Dimples):
Cc - it is always a joy to see your little glass creations.  I especially love the quackers.

Thank, Marge. I have a friend who's pet ducks are named "Cheez" and "Quackers." Maybe she needs rubber ducky bobbles?  Na...She'd never wear em.

We spent all day in town yesterday and seemed to get very little done. The cupboards are restocked... at least until the kids get home from school and hit them like a swarm of hungry locusts (is there any other kind?).  Sprout's fussy this morning and seems to be coming down with a fresh virus. *Sigh.* I knew we shouldn't go to Walmart. Everyone in that place seems to be hacking and wheezing this time of year... They could use that in their advertising:  Get a fresh new cold, Free, while you do your shopping!! Our poor checkout clerk looked like she should have been home in bed, but she said she didn't have sick leave and couldn't afford to loose a day's wages.

I'm hopeful thatt, starting today, I'll be able to get back to my own routine. I've been marching to everyone else's drum through the holiday rush and rash of fevers. Everytime I think I can get things on a more even keal, another wave of crisises(?) comes crashing down on us. At least I can't complain about being bored...

CC the names of those ducks just cracked us up.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:23 AM | Locked

snpyrunner:
I am happy that she was able to find a job.

Thanks, I hope that something opens up for you also.

snpyrunner:
his mom is still recovering from taking them out past their bed time to a work party (they were up ALL night long... every couple of hours).

Sometimes we really pay with the little ones when their routine is interrupted. Hopefully, they will sleep tonight :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:26 AM | Locked

Marge (AKA Dimples):
Ok - have the day off.

Enjoy your day Marge. You have been working a lot lately. Did your part-time job turn into a full-time one?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:27 AM | Locked

Ginny:
At least she is in the system and hopefully it will lead to a full time teaching job.   God is good!  

Me too Ginny... He is good indeed.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:30 AM | Locked

Wendy :
On an up note, It looks like my husband may have a new job with Andraus Trucking company out of Salt Lake City. He would be on a dedicated run from here to Canada and back each week.

Woo Hoo Wendy, that is great news! Not sure what your weather is like today, but ours started out just plain cold and gloomy - it is still cold but the sun just came out and that sure makes a difference.

Page 349 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 347 348 349 350 351 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use