Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 323 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 321 322 323 324 325 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
MelodyP MO/KS replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 1:37 PM | Locked
Brandy, I tried to quit smoking last year but did not quite make it so, it is on the list for this year. You will be my inspiration. Well done, Sister and good luck for this year!

MelodyP

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 2:12 PM | Locked

I have tried to quit smoking several times.   But I have this one huge problem....I enjoy smoking...I like my tobacco and nicotine.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 2:56 PM | Locked

Nana, here is another question, you might want to think about. Do you think you would enjoy chemo? What about having cancer? Losing your hair? Early death? Now, how much do you like nicotene and tabacoo more then those things? My Mom died, at 61, from lung cancer due to smoking. It was not pleasant, believe you me. Think about how your family would feel if 2013 would be a year marked with a fight for your life. Sorry, I just don't understand why people would risk death for a cigarette.

I got two boxes of quilt fabric. One big one from Nan with every color and print under the sun. Didn't get a photo of all that. but did of the fabric I ordered last week. Tonight, at church, I get more. Yee Haw! This is fun!

The four fabrics, in the center, are all the same line. I love the patterns on the blues. The blue on the right is more of a purple.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:45 PM | Locked

Nana:

I have tried to quit smoking several times.   But I have this one huge problem....I enjoy smoking...I like my tobacco and nicotine.

Happy New Year. No lecture here from me Nana. I smoked for 50+ years... had cancer not of lung but colon-rectal with a permanent ostomy which wasn't bad enough I guess, so had to develop COPD and now I'm on oxygen 24/7 and have to ride around on a cart. My whole world has slowed down. I quit for a year but then found the electronic cigarette, which is just nicotine, cheaper than tobacco... I thought I love tobacco too, until I realized that the smell was terrible. I cannot stand to be around the cigarette smell and still have friends and it is almost too much not to gag on it. So if you could chose the nicotine over the tobacco really saves on money, smell and lungs. I say this because I know how hard it is to stop and still love the calming effect of the nicotine and don't suppose I'll ever be able to kick that, but at least it is no harm to anyone else and doesn't do anymore harm to me. It is all the chemicals in the tobacco that puts starts the problems. Good Luck to all the smokers and non-smokers out there.Cancer is not only caused by smoking, stress and diet are as big of culprits.

Now on the lighter side: Because I do not get out much, I did today as DH took me to a couple of my favorite places to use my Christmas gift cards then we went to brunch at Cracker Barrel. First we went to Hobby Lobby and I found some really cute fabric to make some placemats and some picture frames for January birthday presents.

Then we went to JoAnn's and my d S-I-L and quilting buddy gave me a card and with that and a 40% off coupon and my membership card from here got a really good buy on a bolt of muslin... I'm a happy quilter today and tomorrow I'm doing some sewing and cutting.

Happy New Year All.

xoxoxo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:52 PM | Locked

Sukochi

Both of my parents died of lung cancer.  I also took care of more patients then I can remember with lung  cancer and COPD.  So yes I know all the risks of smoking and did when I started smoking in my late 30s.  I have also seen people die from being overweight and they were still stuffing candy bars in there mouths.  Seen many with melanoma and they were still baking themselves in the sun.   There are lots of "killers" out there and people still continue to do the things they enjoy.   I try not to smoke in the same area with non smokers and I always go outside to smoke. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:11 PM | Locked

MMM

I have considered the electronic cigarettes but have never heard anything but bad things about them.  I wonder if the chemicals in those are any better for us than the chemicals in the tobacco...LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:17 PM | Locked

Nana, I tried the electronic cigs, let me tell you they are very harsh,  made me sick

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:25 PM | Locked

Nana:

Sukochi

Both of my parents died of lung cancer.  I also took care of more patients then I can remember with lung  cancer and COPD.  So yes I know all the risks of smoking and did when I started smoking in my late 30s.  I have also seen people die from being overweight and they were still stuffing candy bars in there mouths.  Seen many with melanoma and they were still baking themselves in the sun.   There are lots of "killers" out there and people still continue to do the things they enjoy.   I try not to smoke in the same area with non smokers and I always go outside to smoke. 

Nana, I am sorry. I should not have said that. It  Everything you said is dead on. It is your life and what you do with it is your choice. Just as I tend to overeat, not be movitated to exercise.  I have on right to take you to task. My own son smokes and he will NOT even talk to me when I bring this subject up. He gets so mad. So, have a Happy New year. and evjoy every part of us.  I so enjoy you and hope you are not terribly upset with me.

Not going to the Church service tonight. Jim isn't feeling well. And, he is really worried about his little brother, who is still in the hospital.  DLB called today, but really had nothing to report. He was wating for tests and wouldn't know anything till tomorrow.  So, that is that. Jim has been going between hot and cold now for months. He is hot and sweating but is freezing at the same time. The Doctor keeps running tests but finds nothing.  Jim is really down now and is very concerned. I am starting to really worry myslef.

Everyone have a safe night. I will go to bed at my regular time since I'll be home. Safe and sound. I was going to go to the serivce by myself,but,the way I drive, I would be stopped by the cops in a heartbeat. I have no depth perception and drive like a drunk. Don't drive much anymore though.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:38 PM | Locked

Sukochi

I shouldn't have jumped back at you and I am sorry.  It is just one of my pet peeves when people start downing smokers.  There are so many things that cause health issues and smoking is only one of them.

I hope Jim gets to feeling better soon.  Sorry about his brother.  I hope they figure out what is going on soon and can do something to help.    

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 6:40 PM | Locked

Leslie, I have considered smoking again just for the weight loss properties, but there is no guarantee that it will work. My next addiction to conquer, only with God's continued grace, is over eating. I want a healthy relationship with food. I have had issues since I was 5, and even when my parents discovered it, they did nothing to help.  

MelodyP MO/KS:
Brandy, I tried to quit smoking last year but did not quite make it so, it is on the list for this year. You will be my inspiration. Well done, Sister and good luck for this year!

Thank you so much Melody and everyone else! I want to get better from here. I am going to start slowly and I will post pictures of my progress in a few months. In 2010 I lost weight for the wrong reasons. This year I am making a life change for me.

i am so sorry if my posting about smoking sparked anything negative, but I am thankful for each of you and your support. I had to quit smoking because my lungs were hurting so bad that I was afraid I would develop something that would take me away from my son sooner than I would like. Tonight I am spending my evening in prayer and relaxing and just looking forward to what God has for me in 2013. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:01 PM | Locked

Brandy, you have nothing to be sorry for, you beat the beast, there for you should share your victory.     But now remember I did not loose the weight when i started smoking again so think of that if the urge hits lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:02 PM | Locked

I suspect that very few of us actually have a healthy relationship with food. I surely do not...  Why, Over-consumption is an American way of life! I suspect that  it goes back to childhood when we all heard "Clean Your Plate or there will be no dessert for you tonight..."          

'Wasting" food was nearly a mortal sin at our house! I can recall sitting in misery, staring at a plate of cold liver, b'cause I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I had eaten what was given to me. I liked liver - and had eaten a good portion of it -  but once it had cooled, I'd lost interest. I sat there until bedtime, and then  I got a swat for not eating before I was allowed to crawl between the sheets.  And I'd missed playing street baseball!!  I  bet I am not the only one here with that story, or one simular to it...LOL

So... on the subject of food, I just enjoyed the perch the boys brought home yesterday. MMMm Yummy little creeters. Ginny, there are 2 left for you, but you'd better hurry and get 'em while they are hot!

Dh is heading off to work. There will be no mid-night kisses for us at the turn of the calender again this year. *sigh*  Maybe he won't draw nightshift  when  2013 becomes 2014.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:11 PM | Locked

CC, I remember not getting to leave the table untill my plate was clean,  with 8 kids we could not afford to waste.  But I was one of those kids that if my foods touched each other I couldn't eat it, I got alot of swats for that lol

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:29 PM | Locked

Leslie :

But I was one of those kids that if my foods touched each other I couldn't eat it, I got alot of swats for that lol

Oh this made me giggle! I am a "stir it all together" kind of girl! My DS's favorite meal is mashed potato bowls where I layer mashed potatoes, chicken and peas and mix! I am going to try mashed cauliflower to see if he notices. :) 

DS will be gone starting tomorrow and I will pick him up on Saturday from my brother in law an nieces. I need the break, honestly and it will give me time to adjust to a better diet. I do like healthy food, I just got lazy. Time to put that to an end. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:38 PM | Locked

Brandy, I outgrew that believe me LOL   I also like mashed tators bowls

[Ava, Missouri

Page 323 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 321 322 323 324 325 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use