Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 316 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 314 315 316 317 318 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:38 AM | Locked

Sukochi, the 20's would feel like spring. It is actually warm here at about 9F. Which is nice compared to what we had before.  Great day for a walk.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:50 AM | Locked

Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:53 AM | Locked

Thea, those grands are so precious. No wonder you want to live closer before they are all grown up. And, they sure look great in the Christmas clothes. You are such a wonderful Gradma.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:07 AM | Locked

Joni:

Reading a good Tom Clancy novel, Threat Vector...hardcover 3 inches thick.  Very convoluted plot, more so than usual.  Plan on sewing later today.  Wish I could go back to sleep...oh well!

Joni, You had me so intrigued  by this book ,I went and got it for my Kindle fire. I have started it and I'm hooked already.  His last couple of books were kinda boring ,but this one started out great. Thanks for the recommendation ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:21 AM | Locked

BARBARA

So glad you like the Threat Vector, I'm about 1/3 thru it and back to being a TC fan once again.  I have in this Christmas season recently finished Clive Cussler's Poseidon  Arrow (he is one of my very favorite authors of all time) and Davids Baldacci's Simple Genius...just as the title says.

I'm a voracious reader, I read several books a week, can't sleep without some serious reading.  Can't tell you how many time I read my quilt books, esp the big spiral bound ones, I positively could not piece without learning from them.

Now at my library they sell all the paper back for a qtr.  I'm acquiring quite a collection, will have to rehome them sometime.  Let me know if you would like some, I think sending books is a much reduced rate, will check into it in the near future.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:24 AM | Locked

Joni I read alot as well .Have you ever tried the Paperback swap group  on the inet,I'm a member and this is a great group .YOu swap books with members all aove the US. all you pay is postage .I've been a group member for about four years ,and I've never had a  problem .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:51 AM | Locked

I love to read, but find paperbacks hard to read. Don't know if it is the paper the words are printed on or the smaller script. I will not pay full price for a book, I can get free at the Library. My nephew reads all hard back, tons of books a month, He has a forthune in expensive books. Wish he would donate them to the Library.

Barbara, do,n't you pay a lot to mail books? I would think they are heavy to mail. We can, also, get books at our thrift store. But, I try to stick with the Library. Libraries are so vital to poor people who love to read, and children who can't afford the books. And the kids summer reading programs are vital to the education of the kids. OK, off the Library soapbox.  Once a Librarian, always a Librarian!

I, mostly, read the fiction  books about The Amish, funny mysteries, Elm Creek Quilt Series. Love the Janet Evanovich books. They are just so funny. Can't read the scary mysteries. Tried Dean Koontz one and had nightmares for weeks.  I just finished a book, that I really thought I would not like after reading the first chapter, but loved once I got into it further. It is a medical fiction, Monday Mornings, by Sanjay Gupta, MD. Really great read.

Keep reading.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:59 AM | Locked

LOL Angele, be careful what you ask for. I just asked DS1 if his cartoon characters have ever made a quilt...  He has one character he calls Ninja Gramma - Her walker transforms into nunchucks when she gets grumpy. She whups some serious butt. ...then she goes back to slowly and painfully shuffling along the cross-walk). He says when she quilts, she uses her samori skills to weild 2 rotory cutters similtaniously.  I can't wait to see this strip drawn out!!  LOL

Jr seems to feel better today. He was on miserable camper yesterday afternoon- he was pretty croupy and had a nasty fever to go with it. We got him an appointment with the Dr but she can't see him until late today... Why do docs never save time for urgent needs patcients?? You'd think it would be a sensible thing to set aside a block of time at the beginning of the day and another at the end so they can see folks who have serious symptoms that come on suddenly, but aren't sever enough to require the ER.   DH said if he's up to it, they'll go fishing tomorrow.  his older brother has threatened him with death if he doesn't present himself as fully recovered by then!!  It's only natural that he feels fine this AM.  He thinks they should go fishing today...  I'm waiting to see how the day progresses.

I'm slowly trying to make a dent in the post-holiday deatrus (sp?). I won't make a real effort to take down decorations until after the kids go back to school, but I am clearing out rolls of gift wrap and holiday cards, etc, little by little. Eventually I might have a path through the livingroom...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:45 PM | Locked

Barbara, et al

Just came back from library with 8 paperback .25 each.  Still have to finish Clancy book, but bought these in case I did finish, gonna be a long weekend, I'm gonna be snuggled in with roaring fire and under my quilts reading a great book.

Only one problem, keeping dogs on floor and off of me.  soon as I doze off, they all manage to sneak onto the bed with me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:48 PM | Locked

Sukochi ,no the most I've paid to mail a book was around 3.00  they also have hardbacks which is usally what zi try to get ,Paperback Swaps is the name of the site. I love it .barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:52 PM | Locked

Joni , I will be doing alot of that myslef this weekend since Thea is going to visit her grand kids LOL We ususally skype everyday and work on our stuff together . I love having a good book to read .I don't have a fire place but I have a great heater that has an electic flame that looks real and put out some great heat. I ususally have it on during the day as it keeps my front room nice a warm. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,618
Points 247,317
Thea replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 1:09 PM | Locked

iread this on facebook a little while ago and had no idea!  It does make sense - going to check it out on Snopes to see if they have anything on it but for now - posting!

ONIONS! I had never heard this!!!
PLEASE READ TO THE END: IMPORTANT

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu...
Many of the farmers and their families had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser. She said that several years ago, many of her employees were coming down with the flu, and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:

Thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmer's story...but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia, and, needless to say, I was very ill... I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put it into an empty jar, and place the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs...sure enough it happened just like that...the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note. Lots of times when we have stomach problems we don't know what to blame. Maybe it's the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flu and is the very reason we shouldn't eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise. Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

Ed, who was our tour guide, is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made mayo is completely safe.

"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the summer picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table, and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that, when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the ONIONS, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.

He explained onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.

It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!). Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.

Please remember it is dangerous to cut an onion and try to use it to cook the next day, it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning.

Please pass this on to all you love and care about.
— with Adonain Danny Rivera.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,618
Points 247,317
Thea replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 1:16 PM | Locked

I snoped it out and they say hogwash but read their article - there is no real proof either way as no studies have been done but the theory goes back to ancient days.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/swineflu/onion.asp

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:01 PM | Locked

I love cocktail onions, i eat them as is for asnck. And i drink almost a gallon og orange juice daily. When i do thus i am able to keep from catching whatever i going on. I also use juice onions are in to flavor things like pasts salad or whatever, also use olive juice same way. And i ues cream cheesenin place of at least half the mayo and people love it. I was cooking with cream cheese long before they put the cooking type out. My favorite is to saute fresh spinach and then dd crem cheese to  cover and heat till it meltssome. Even the grands ill eat pinch ht way, alo make ver good for stuffing meat, like chicken breast or flank steak. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:40 PM | Locked

chocake2:
he was pretty croupy and had a nasty fever to go with it. We got him an appointment with the Dr but she can't see him until late today... Why do docs never save time for urgent needs patcients??

9 year old grandson had same symptoms, DD2 got him into the Urgent Care clinic (4 hours there because the doctors were all in Reno, backed up behind a large accident on the icy slick roads here yesterday morning).  When the doctors finally arrived, took a throat culture and proclaimed "strep throat".  Now he's on an antibotic regimen and feeling much better today.  I'm so thankful for our Urgent Care Clinic which we just got a couple of years ago.  Before that we had to drive 40 miles to the nearest ER for any type of emergency/sudden onset illness.

Page 316 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 314 315 316 317 318 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use