Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 293 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 291 292 293 294 295 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 2:49 PM | Locked

My boys came home upset yesterday. The teachers had them write, and mail, letters to Santa (part of how the PO works lesson). Yesterday they got replies 'from the North pole'! One little girl, in 2nd grade, stood up and announced that Santa's not real and her Grandpa/Dad (being raised by grands) said she was "too big to believe in lies". I would seriously like to have a little chat with Grandpa/Dad behind the woodshed right now. What right does he have to destroy that sweet little girl's faith, much less that of every other kid in the school!?

Now, of course, once a kid gets into public school, they start questioning Santa - playground gossip being what it is - so both  of my boys are aware that things aren't quite the way we tell them. We've already told them that we believe in Santa as he represents all the wonderful things that Christmas really is about. And they want to believe in him, too..but this whole incident really rattled them.  My daughter summed it up by saying "Not believing in Santa is like not believing in Christmas! It takes away all the magic in the world!" Thank Goodness they have an articulate sister to put it into perspective for them.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:05 PM | Locked

C.C. has your kid's school brought up the shootings in Conn.? Or, have you all  talked about it? As I have no young kids, how do you eplain this to them?

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:29 PM | Locked

CC - What I told my 6 year old son is that the moment he stops believing in Santa, that's the moment he stops getting toys from Santa.  Let me just say that Santa is very generous to my son and he is going to keep right on believing in him.  He is adamant.  He is in first grade and comes home and tells me, "One of my friends at school said Santa isn't real, but I told them that he is just as real as I am and that's that."  :)  Always makes my heart smile.

I know he's going to lose that one day, and I actually have a plan.  Somewhere on my Pinterest there was a mom that posted a blog about a letter she wrote to her little one who proof-positively knew Santa wasn't real.  The letter talked about the spirit of who Santa is, who Santa was based off of (history for the win!) and, if there are younger siblings involved, why it is important they keep up the charade for the littler ones.  It was beautiful and I wish I could find it.  If I do, I'll post it for you.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:35 PM | Locked

Sukochi - First - I really hope you don't leave QCA.  I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you and your wit and banter.  You are a true gem.  <3

Secondly, I got to explain it to my son when he saw Obama on TV crying.  My explanation to him was as follows:

Well, something really tragic happened today.  A man made a very poor decision to bring loaded guns into an elementary school, very much like the one you go to, and open fire.  He killed a total of 26 people at that school, and 20 of them were kids your age.  

It is very sad because that means that 20 mommy's and daddy's won't be able to hold their angels on Christmas day and see their faces light up, but God is taking care of them and is giving them the best gift one could ever get.  He is also taking care of their families and friends and holding them tight while they grieve their loss.

He actually took it rather well.  He looked at me, a little pouty, and said, "You need a hug, don't you?"  I crumbled.  He came over and held onto me for a few minutes, wiped his eyes and said a prayer.  Lord how I didn't just melt into the nearest drain is well beyond me, but that is how I explained it to him.  I'd rather it come from me in a way that I know he can handle rather than from someone at school or, even worse, the media. 

I have friends that refuse to explain it to their children, and I have to respect that, however I would so much rather be the one to pick up the pieces if, indeed, there are any pieces to pick up.  The world can be so hard and uncaring.  I'm just thankful that God gave me the words to tell him what happened without complete insecurity setting in.  He does hold onto me tighter now, and for longer, but that's been about the only change I have noticed in him.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 7:09 PM | Locked

I was talking to one of my daughters and asked did she feel we got along well (why I ask these questions I'll never know ) any way she went on chapter and verse about how her sister and I were overly opinionated and she felt she, as the youngest was not given proper respect as  to her opinions. Nobody listened, she had to be quiet cause we would gang up on her etc etc.   I have small cuts in my mouth from biting my cheeks to keep from laughing.  the apple did not fall far from the tree with my girls.  Yup, we all got hit with the B***h switch.  Hard.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 8:26 PM | Locked

Vivian

I have a hard time imagining you not saying something or laughing out loud at that conversation....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 8:29 PM | Locked

Vivian

I also meant to ask how you are doing.  I hope that everything is getting easier.  You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 9:02 PM | Locked

chocake2:

Debbie-do:

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
I contacted ADM. yesterday, to cancel my membership and stop emailing forums, totally

No No No NO NOOOOOOO   Not acceptible.  You are just way too much fun and such a big part of this family, you CAN'T leave us, Sukochi!  Drink some tea and take a nap... get over that cold fast, it's messing with your thinking!

xoxo

Ditto Debbie, too.

I'm pretty new here, but Ditto.  Hope you feel better soon. {{{Hugs}}}

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 9:05 PM | Locked

Well typed out a whole message then it just disappeared ??? In essence Maddie asked why he shot the people and I said I gues only God knows now. Then she said the kids would get to go to the biggest birthdayparty for    Jesus now! But. She said their parents will be very sad like I am cause I miss my parents..I started to tear up and she held me and said it Is okay.

as far as Santa, her brother spilled the beans last yr and she called him an"evil liar"!

she does understand since the recession some parents have to help out and good people donate toys also.

there has been arise in number of homeschooled kids each yr and I won't be surprised if it continues. DILs mother told her to keep Aaron home as there will be copycats and she said heck no , he drives her crazy so he is truly safer at school. 

Nan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 10:35 PM | Locked

chocake2:
Thank Goodness they have an articulate sister to put it into perspective for them.

Well CC I'm guessing she learned that from her parents - WTG mom, you have done a good job!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 10:38 PM | Locked

Brandy:
 He does hold onto me tighter now, and for longer, but that's been about the only change I have noticed in him.

That is so sweet Brandy. Kids are much stronger and understand the world way more than we think and unfortunately it is an awful world out there sometimes.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 10:40 PM | Locked

Nana:

Vivian

I have a hard time imagining you not saying something or laughing out loud at that conversation....LOL

My thoughts exactly Vivian. I hope all has been going well for you, I've missed you around here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 11:49 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
I contacted ADM. yesterday, to cancel my membership and stop emailing forums, totally. Well, guess what? I am still here. Guess nothing has changed. They emailed back that it had been done. Yep, I see that. DUH! I just feel like my opinions are not looked on kindly, by many here. And, I really understand that. I tend to speak what I see as thuth. My sister once told me to stop giving people my opinions.I told her that I have a right to them and she said I have also a right to NOT voice them.  Guess I should have listened.

You can still have a free membership all they cancel are the "perks" (which aren't as good as they used to be). I haven't been a premium member in a long time.

I agree with others who have spoken up. You should definitely stick around. You haven't offended me that's for sure. You are a breath of fresh air and you seem very open. There are so many different people from different backgrounds it's hard to not clash every now and then especially when context is ambiguous. We just need to understand that no one is deliberately hurtful (I hope) and let things slide or take it to the background.

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Have a wonderful day. Christmas is almost here. One more week

I can't wait for it to be over.

I hope you enjoy yours.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Points 2,475
Clare replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 1:02 AM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
I contacted ADM. yesterday, to cancel my membership and stop emailing forums, totally. Well, guess what? I am still here. Guess nothing has changed.

Please don't stop posting as it will be very boring here without you. I enjoy lurking to see what you & everyone else is up to

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
I just feel like my opinions are not looked on kindly, by many here.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own opiniions and you have a right to voice them. So as far as I'm concerned keep on voicing them, I know that you will have to try harder to offend me. lol

Well all I've been doing today is shopping, cleaning :-( and packing :-) I won't be around for a few weeks as we are heading to a cooler climate this year for Christmas for something different. So the tree hasn't gone up this year, no nativity sets, no group of angels, it just doesn't feel right. I would like to wish everyone here a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year. Take care of yourselves & those dear to you & God bless. See you next year ;-)

Clare xx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,670
Points 37,620
ls2116 replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 1:11 AM | Locked

LaJuan, Ihope you have better day tomorrow or is that today now.  Feel better... Work on a quilt in between feeling bad that would help me and try lemon and honey.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 293 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 291 292 293 294 295 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use