Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 262 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 260 261 262 263 264 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:22 AM | Locked

I was just reading through some of the pot holder directions and someone said they used old cotton towels for the batting.

Maybe Mug Rugs would be something she would use, I got one at the retreat and I love it.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:34 AM | Locked

Spud - yes, there's lots of versatility, actually...I saw my grandmother's neighbor using pieces from a damaged flannel sheet once. Old blankets (cotton) would work, too!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:38 AM | Locked

Sheila:
Spud - yes, there's lots of versatility, actually...I saw my grandmother's neighbor using pieces from a damaged flannel sheet once. Old blankets (cotton) would work, too! 
   We are kind of spoiled these days, our grandmothers would probably never think of putting anything new into a pot holder :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:46 AM | Locked

Snpy, I did a fast google search for "how to make fabric bowls" and found lots of tutorials. Here's one that might work : http://www.ehow.com/how_5925556_make-bali-bowls-out-clothesline.html

Another idea would be to get a cheap glass vase or bowl and put your painting skills you mentioned to use decorating it to match the table runner.  You might even be able to refurbish something from the thrift store.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:55 AM | Locked

So, yesterday was chaos. DH and I did our monthly town thing (Got my date after all!! YAY!) and added Christmas shopping to it. We got home late and I missed going to my Art Assoc Christmas party. I'm serioously bummed about that. DD is miffed. She was really looking forward to it. Alas, Life happens.

Today I have to unload all of the special suprises and get as many of them as possible wrapped and hidden away. That'll be a fun challenge, especially with Sprout's "help". LOL Can you believe he's nearly 7 months old already!!?? And so-o-o busy!

While we were shopping yesterday we ran into the Dula from the hospital. She still creeps me out. She stood there cooing over 'how darling' my baby was and made certain to mention...several times, in case I missed it... that she really wished she'd been there when he was delivered. She has a brand new 2 month old herself. Sprout reached over and patted him. It looked almost like he was saying "Gee, Kid, I'm sorry you got sucha  ditz for a Mom. You have my sympathy." LOL

I bought a stack of Christmas prints and will be busy stitching up Hot-dog gift bags later. The kids seem to enjoy those, and I like that they are re-useable.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 5:25 PM | Locked

Thea, made your Chicken Taco Soup recipe for dinner. Boy, it is some kinda good.

C C was looking online at a UK catalog and they had a t-shirt that said "Eat Your Sprouts". Too funny.Had a good rest of the day. Sat and played at emailing and joking with friends on Facebook. Looked around the pintrest boards some. Didn't do anything else. Watched some TV.

Got to get started on the Romans Study.

Have a great evening

Sukochi

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:39 AM | Locked

Okay, I apologize in advance. I have to vent somewhere and I figure this is the best place since none of you are my customers, coworkers, or employers. I work in a grain elevator/feed store. Part of the services we supply is free weights for people wanting to weigh cattle, grain or whatever really. Well, this morning a man (I only call him this because I am trying to be a better person than him.) came in for a FREE weight and started talking to the group of farmers that gather here every morning for coffee. He begins to spew a bunch of racist crap which I try to ignore. Then he turns around and looks at me (I am Hispanic), and asks "How many kids do you have? Seven." I replied, "I have 2 who are better men than you will ever be. This Mexican sure is good enough to get your free weight from, huh?" Than I handed him the ticket I had stamped and told him not to come back. Well, a bored members father was in here drinking coffee so we will see if I lose my job. A person shouldn't have to deal that. I apologize again like I said I just had to vent. Thank you for letting me.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:49 AM | Locked

Kelli

You vent all you need.  I would have probably been even less nice than you were.   Some people just have absolutely no sense what so ever.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:50 AM | Locked

You go, girl. In my humble opinion, I think it is great that you stood up to that jerk. Don't know what your boss will say. How rude a thing to say, was that? I am sorry you were subjected to his racism. Just know that most people do not feel that way.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:51 AM | Locked

Kelli

Love your response to the bigot.  Sometimes I get so tired of their cr** and just want to tar and feather them.  America is famous for her diversity and the beauty of her peoples of all races, colors and creeds.  

We need more of us to speak up instead of turning our cheeks for the 50th or 100th time.  We don't have to be ugly , but we do have the right and obligation to stand up for all.

One thing I can promise I'm never PC...guess once a rebel always a rebel.  Feliz Navidad and MeleKalikimaka! (merry christmas)  Haoli Makahiki Hau! (Happy New Year)  I sure do miss seeing Santa riding in on a surfboard wearing speedos and a lei.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:56 AM | Locked

DH and I went out to eat last night.  It is the first time I have been out of the house since surgery.  I was really getting cabin fever.   Had some yummy Mexican food and then went to Kroger's to pick up some ice cream.  It felt so good to get out of the house.   Now trying to get ready for a hectic weekend.  Tonight we go out to dinner for DGD's birthday then tomorrow is my youngest DD's college graduation and then dinner.    I hope that I am up to all the travel.   We have to drive about 2 hrs to get to the graduation site.  I am determined to go though as this has been a long battle to get this degree.   She returned to school part time after she had 2 children.   There has been lots of sacrificing on everyones part to get to this degree.   She now has a bacholers in business management.   I am so proud of her and am really determined to see her walk across the stage.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:56 AM | Locked

Exciting day. My Secret Santa package is being delivered today. Can't wait to hear what she thinks. And, will start gift gatherins again at the first of 2013.

Have a full sewing day. Need to get three blocks done, on fabric post card and get back to work on a birthday quilt due in Feb.

I am down to my first goal weight! So excited. Jim asked, today, just what I want to get down to. Ha! Lets see how low I can go!! No, I think 150 is a good number for me. Don't want to look like a super model.! I like some meat on my bones. Will have to get serios about the walking.

Have a wonderful day.

Sukochi

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 9:56 AM | Locked

Nana glad to hear you were able to get out of the house last night after surgery. I couldn't imagine being "trapped" at home. I love being at home but having to be there would probably change that. LOL Good luck getting to your DD graduation and congratulation on that. It's hard enough to do under normal circumstances but with 2 kids it is definitely something to be applauded.

Sukochi congratulations to you on making your first goal weight. I recently started weight watchers and there are days I think I will never get there. So, keep up the good work!

I also want to say thank you to everyone for the supportive comments. After stewing in it for a bit I am better. I am just glad my husband wasn't here when it happened. It may have gotten quite a bit uglier. I am not one to cry racism. In fact, I hate it when people do it unnecessarily. Sometimes, though, it is just that and it needs to be said. One of the farmers that was in here when it happened apologized to me for not standing up for me. It was a kind gesture that made me feel better about the situation. I understand why he didn't and I told him it isn't his place to stand up for me. I am a big girl and can stand up for myself. Anyway, after taking my anxiety medicine and telling my DH what happened I feel much much better and way more calm. :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:20 AM | Locked

Kelli you're not going to loose your job over that. If anything the coffee cutch owes you an apology for letting it go so far.

Years ago a rather biggoted aquaintence of ours struck up an on-line romance witha  gal from Florida. Things progressed pretty fast and tickets were bought for her to fly up for along weekend. Somehow it was only after she was booked on the flight that they exchanged photos... She was a beautiful Rubenesque Malato woman. Ol' Joe Just  about had a coniption!! He started a rant a the gun-range about how how she had decieved him. One of the fellas asked him to clearify the desception...he couldn't come up with a single thing other then that he hadn't known her skin was darker then his own. We all pointed out that he'd gone nuts over her before he'd known that detail, and up until the picture came, he hadn't cared a whit what she looked like. He'd loved her for who she was. In the end SHE dumped him. I remain hopeful that the incident reformed his out-look.  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:27 AM | Locked

chocake2:

We all pointed out that he'd gone nuts over her before he'd known that detail, and up until the picture came, he hadn't cared a whit what she looked like. He'd loved her for who she was. In the end SHE dumped him. I remain hopeful that the incident reformed his out-look.  

I love it!!! LOL I also hope it changed his outlook. I think people (me included sometimes) put too much stock into a persons appearance and not enough into who they are. I still believe the fact that I am overweight is karma for me making fun of fat people when I was younger. (also I like food :D) As long as a person learns from their mistakes that's all one can ask.

Page 262 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 260 261 262 263 264 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use