Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 248 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 246 247 248 249 250 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:09 AM | Locked

Boy, don't I know about people wanting help with quilting.  Someone called the senior center where I go and wanted some help in doing a quilt for her son.  The receptionist called me and I said I would help her.  She came to my house for a total of 2 minutes to drop off the stuff and she was too busy to stay.  That rubbed me wrong first.  She had hand sewn fans and they needed to be appliqued to a block and then a quilt made with them.  (She had never, ever made a quilt)   Her hand sewing was absolutely horrible, about 1/4-1/2 inch long stitches, no straight lines, nothing fit together, nothing was an average size...just horrible.  Her next call was to tell me she was making more for a second quilt for another son.  I tried to tell her we needed to get together because I needed to talk to her about it.  She told me she would be stopping about 2 p.m. that afternoon.  Well, she stood me up and didn't even have the common decency to call.  Well, I called her 2 days later and told her that I couldn't do her quilts and she'd have to come and pick them up.  She couldn't have paid me enough to do them after the rotten way she treated me.  I was willing to show her how to do it but she wanted it all done, and for free....NOT!!!   I've decided that from here on out....I will teach anyone who wants to learn, I don't make them for others.  If I make a quilt that doesn't have a home and someone wants to buy it, that's fine.  No more commission quilts or special quilts.  I make quilts and give them away to charities.

Diana in East Tn.      

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,137
Points 14,725
Dawn replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:36 AM | Locked

Well, yesterday, I went to church to help the lady that decorates there.  Spent 8 hours there!  We hung over 100 large ornaments from the ceiling in the lobby!  It could use more!  But budget doesn't allow.  But over the next couple of years we will keep adding things.  She used my idea from last year.  I just can't wait for Sunday to hear all the different comments.  :-) 

Today, I will be shopping w/my DD and DGD3 and DGS3.  We usually go every week, even if it is to just get groceries.  It is so nice to be able to spend time w/them.  I love walking into the house and the girls cry out, "It's Grammy!!!!"  Then I almost get knocked down the stairs when they come flying at me for hugs!  Good thing I know to brace myself!  :-)

I had a quilting friend that "helped" me w/the binding on a quilt I had made for my in-laws anniversary.  I went to her house and she set me up in her sewing room.  She didn't even help me thread her machine.  She kinda told me how to do it, then left me to sew, w/o coming back to make sure I was doing ok or anything.  Could have done that at my own house.  Oh well, I got it done and now I have figured it out and am quite good at it if I do say so myself.

Oh, and I could use a snow dance here, maybe you could post on youtube so I can play it here?  We are really needing any kind of precip!  Don't tell anyone I said any kind though!  :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:55 AM | Locked

No sewing got done last night, however I did dig into Psalms and read.  I ended up falling asleep and managed to finally sleep through the night for the first time all week.  Bonus that I didn't wake up with hips that hurt (bad bed + bad hips = sleep is interrupted constantly).

This morning on my way to work (where I am now), I took the opportunity to cry and just let all my feelings of anger about a lot of things out with God.  Now I just feel pitiful.  Guess that beats being angry.  He is ultimately the only one that can fix my anger so I'll just leave it all with him.

Have a great day all!  I wish I were at home sewing my heart out.  This morning I REALLY feel like sewing.  

Brandy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:10 AM | Locked

Brandy , I'm so sorry you are having such  pain at your age.I hope you can get it fixed. I have no idea of your financial issues but have you tried to get a new mattress ? I myself got a great one from Overstock that  is like a Tempurpedic  Mattress with out the  cost of this brand.. it is the best mattress I've ever had. It was approx.300.00 and I'm sure they have more. Just check them out . they come in different heights and firmness. I got the 11 in and med. firm .I love mine  I did go ahead a bought a platform frame for mine that sets very low to the floor  .All in all I only paid around 700.00 for the entire bed. I hope you can get your hip pain to settle down some. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:30 AM | Locked

Clare:

Frances:
she can use toilet paper to make it with and reuse it after.

I managed to spray my screen with scotch

Aww, you guys are the best!  :)

CC, I also enjoy your posts.  I love that you don't get caught up in the drama, even when it's swimming in circles around you.  :)

Brandy, I'm so sorry.  I have a situation with a nephew (my brother's child) that's hard for me sometimes, so I think I might kind of know what it's like for you.  Hang in there, girl.  You can only control your own life.  With that said, What is a moustache quilt???  :)   I have no idea what you're referring to, but That sounds awesome!!

Diana, what the...  What are people thinking??  Sorry you had to deal with all that!!

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:38 AM | Locked

Maggie, Have fun at your retreat, I was just in Springfield  ,on my trip home. I'm so gald your mother is going to be there with you, enjoy it .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:10 AM | Locked

Diana:
Boy, don't I know about people wanting help with quilting.

Some people just have a lot of nerve. I just cannot imagine asking someone to help me and then behaving that way. At least you called her and told her no, WTG

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:13 AM | Locked

Carolyn (username CarolBeau):

With that said, What is a moustache quilt???  :)   I have no idea what you're referring to, but That sounds awesome!!

I found that I have a favorite fabric line, and that is Art Gallery Fabric.  Specifically, I ADORE the Rock N Romance line.  So totally describes my personality.  Anyway, one of the people that designs for that line created a quilt called the Must Dash quilt.  Link to follow.  My 15 year old niece will DIE when she sees it.  Like, probably literally, and that's what I'm going for.  I have decided to do it in the rag quilt style (with the Rock N Romance fabric that I bought for myself, but am sacrificing for her because she loves it too).  The mustache's I'm going to make out of a black fabric with white skulls on it.  I'll have to take a picture and post later, but every once in a while there is a skull with a pink bow.  (She's in roller derby and skulls and mustaches are all the rage...I'm totally winning best aunt of the decade with this one). 

Okay, seriously, just talking about the fabric line and the Must Dash quilt lifted my mood.  :)

And back to work with me.  <3

http://artgalleryfabrics.typepad.com/weblog/2012/07/fat-quarter-gang-must-dash-little-lap-quilt-by-im-a-ginger-moneky.htm

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:14 AM | Locked

Brandy:
No sewing got done last night, however I did dig into Psalms and read.  I ended up falling asleep and managed to finally sleep through the night for the first time all week

Brandy, my heart just breaks for you, but you did the best thing you could in turning it over to the Lord and digging into His word for comfort. (((HUGS))) I'm so happy that you were able to sleep. I started having a problem with one of my hips abt 7 years ago and I bought us a Sleep Number bed, best investment we ever made. Hang in there girl, it will get better, God will give you peace.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:17 AM | Locked

Spudgrandma:

Brandy, my hear just breaks for you, but you did the best thing you could in turning it over to the Lord and digging into His word for comfort. (((HUGS))) I'm so happy that you were able to sleep. I started having a problem with one of my hips abt 7 years ago and I bought us a Sleep Number bed, best investment we ever made. Hang in there girl, it will get better, God will give you peace.

Thanks Spud!  I need to start saving for a new bed, but being a single mom just doesn't work in my favor often.  My new budget starts January 1st.  I have to start digging through everything and seeing what I can cut out to save more.  I'm thinking about cutting back on fabric shopping (says the girl that just spent $40.00 on fabric for her niece's Christmas quilt), but will have to dig into that later.  LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:22 AM | Locked

Frances:

As for hobbies i think ive solved the problem get someone to teach her origami, then she can use toilet paper to make it with and reuse it after solves the problem of not spending money and gets her off of your back in one move.

Frances, You are an evil genious! I used to do origam. Maybe I could teach her. Her first assignment could be a hand ...one finger extended.  ;-)

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:25 AM | Locked

Carolyn (username CarolBeau):

CC, I also enjoy your posts.  I love that you don't get caught up in the drama, even when it's swimming in circles around you.  :)

I have a teenage daughter. She's in charge of drama, so I don't need to mess with it.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,449
Points 176,348
Marie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:33 AM | Locked

Brandy the quilt is totally adorable!  Makes me smile.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,752
Points 38,885
ls2116 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:56 AM | Locked

Imight assemble mq7, but today is the start of DH mon. long vacation playing it by ear never know whats on his agenda.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 10:10 AM | Locked

going out for a playdate with my good friend Bernie ,today.will be a nice change ,we hit the thrift stores and go out for lunch.  whluld be fun. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 248 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 246 247 248 249 250 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use