Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 247 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 245 246 247 248 249 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541
Snowbird Quilter replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:46 PM | Locked

Good Afternoon Ladies: 

I've been without a computer for over two months.  So the very first thing I did this morning was go on QCA. , I started reading the "Levonworth Escape"  thread and couldn't stop till I'd read it all.  I've laughed, ooo'd and awed, and wished   till my eyes are laying on my cheeks.  All of you are great quilters, and such a kick in the pants.  SPUD:  Wonderful to see you there and great news on your last checkup.  KRIS your reporting was wonderful again.  Thanks!

That wasn't enough so I went to the Oregon retreat thread, and was floored at how quickly that retreat filled up.

I had my knee replaced in July and am really pleased to have full use of it without pain, just a hitch now and then.  Hoping to have hips replaced in 2013.  Then I'll be a bionic women and ready to meet up with some of you at some retreat somewhere.

If my eyes recover today I've a baby quilt in progress and should work on it.

Plan to work on UFO'S until I'm caught up.  So will follow Patti's group.

NANA and PAT hope you heal real quick.  BARBARA:  I'm so sorry about your MOM!

I'll be reading a lot more in coming days.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 6:51 PM | Locked

Snowbird Quilter:
. , I started reading the "Levonworth Escape"

Patty,  I was so pleased when I saw your name, I wondered where you had been.  Great news about your successful knee replacement.  I wish you could have been at the retreat, I would have loved to meet you. Glad you are back... (((HUGS)))

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:34 PM | Locked

Spudgrandma:

Apparently your friend knows the quilt police...I would never get a quilt done if I had to follow hard and fast rules, so I would just shake off her comments. And while I'm at it, if she were truly a friend she would not be treating you this way. If you are doing this all for free, you might remind her that we get what we pay for!!! Ok, off my soap box.

Oh Spud, Thank you! :)  Go Get'em Girl!!

It's not my friend passing judgement. When It comes to quilting she claims to know nothing...which is why she took it to her red-hatter buddies. It was one of them that is acting as the quilt police. (Now that's a woman I would love to meet!!)

Yes...I am annoyed that my friend asked for my help and then went to someone else to have my efforts evaluated. That smarted a bit. But It's my own fault for not seeing it coming. This is the same person who needed my help with her grand-daughters memory quilt this spring and mostly just ran me in circles because I had no hard and fast answers for  her. And, yup...I've decided that if she values her friends' advice over my (free) work (not to mention access to my stash), then they can just help her to their hearts content. I Hope they have fun!!

She keeps saying she wants to be a quilter but she frets over the 'unbelievable expense" and then whines about the time it takes. She has no confidence in herself but wants to be like me and go patternless (I suppose because patterns cost money??).  Really, I think she'd do better with a  pre-cut quilt kit, with everything laid out for her ready to assemble, but she'd never spend the $ on something like that. I told her the whole point of this was to enjoying oneself and share your pleasure with others.  Since she is doing neither, maybe she should just bag the project. She looked at me like I had Lobsters crawling out of my ears. 'Gotta feel sorry for her...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,287
Points 29,075
Agnes replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:50 PM | Locked

I had a very dear friend who wanted to quilt. With not a speck of self-confidence and wanting everything perfect on first try, then crying buckets over the slightest bit, I finally gave her an article that among many other things stated, that if your hobby wasn't giving you pleasure it was time to find a new hobby. I helped finish the current project and told her it was time to take a breather. Eventually the quilting group I belonged to went ga-ga over rag quilts. I watched the progress, had my friend buy flannel and taught her how to make a quilt for her soon to be great-grandchild. Success! She couldn't see that the corners didn't match, her seams and cut edges were perfectly straight. I didn't have to be there for a shoulder to cry on. It didn't take her long and she was making baby rag quilts without me involved.

Unfortunately with your situation, CC, it is pretty difficult to help anyone with hobbies if they don't want to spend any money.  

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:32 PM | Locked

I'm officially ready for this week to be over.  This morning my sister and brother in law's divorce was finalized.  My sister moved to Missouri to be with her girlfriend.  Her (now) ex husband has their two girls (11 and 15).  It's a horrible horrible situation.  My sister didn't even show up for court this morning.

My heart is so heavy. 

Last weekend, I hosted my sister and nieces here at my house so that they could see each other for the first time in six months.  Since then both of my nieces have been struggling more than normal.  My  heart is really hurting tonight, enough so that I don't want to quilt.  Seriously unusual for me because that usually keeps me going.  

This, too, shall pass, right?

Nana - I hope the hospital pharmacy was able to fill your script.  Pat - Glad you are home and resting comfortably.  Both of you are in my prayers for fast mending.

CC - Wow, what a friend!  I hope her quilt police friend can help her in the future.  I'm not a square person, so while I can square until I'm orange, it rarely works.  It definitely depends on my mood and what I'm feeling towards the person I'm making it for.  If I'm just sewing to have something to do (rare these days - there is always a reason behind my sewing), then I could care less if it's square, triangle, or oblong.

You ladies have a good night.  I'm going to go will myself to sew something.  I have a mustache quilt to get cracking on for my oldest niece.

~Brandy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,120

We will be with you in spirit. I'm sure you will find your sewing tonight carthodic. Hugs!

Grandma "Maggie" Sunshine

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,120

I'm packing and leaving early in the morning. I'm making a four hour drive to spend three days at a quilt retreat with my mom in Springfield, IL. This will be my first retreat and I'm looking forward to spending time with my mom. She went last year with a friend and had a great time. This year she asked me to go and be her cabin mate. ;-) She turns 75 in December and still loves to sew. Her hands hurt and she gets frustrated sometimes but she keeps going and takes frequent breaks. I'm sure we will have a wonderful time!

I'll catch up when I get back!  Don't have too much fun while I'm gone!  Yes, I'm getting addicted to this group already. Hahaha

Grandma "Maggie" Sunshine

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:54 PM | Locked

Donna B:
 I've been on skis three days so far - only an hour or so at a time - but that is OK with me!    I am just thrilled to be able to ski without lower back pain!!!!

That's good news, Donna!  I'm glad the back surgery did the trick and that your recovery progressed so well.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:57 PM | Locked

Good to hear from you again, Patty Mc!  I hope you can chat with us more often.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:04 PM | Locked

Patty, its so good to see you posting on here again!  We were asking about you at Leavenworth, but no one had any idea about how/what you were doing.  You did miss a wonderful retreat, just like 2011.  We had such a great time!  Hopefully, you will be able to sneak in on either Leavenworth or the Oregon Coast Retreat next year if there are cancellations.  That's a good reason to keep watching on QCA evey day...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:14 PM | Locked

Maggie:
I'm packing and leaving early in the morning. I'm making a four hour drive to spend three days at a quilt retreat with my mom

What fun Maggie and how exciting that you will get to spend time with your Mom. You and your mom have a wonderful time and be sure to take pictures so you can share when you get back.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:17 PM | Locked

Brandy:
I'm officially ready for this week to be over.

Brandy, I'm so sorry about your nieces and your sister. Family situations can be so heartbreaking and, unfortunately, all too often there is nothing we can do but be there to pick up the pieces. Hang in there (((HUGS)))

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:12 PM | Locked

CC honey,

I think you should change your words the term friend implies that the person is supportive, kind thinks of others and appreciates what another person does for them, maybe this one should just be an aquaintance.

As for hobbies i think ive solved the problem get someone to teach her origami, then she can use toilet paper to make it with and reuse it after solves the problem of not spending money and gets her off of your back in one move.

However failing that send both of them over to me and i will personally give them a swift kick up the rear, no probs honey thats what friends are for:))

lots and lots of love

Francesxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:53 PM | Locked

Glad to see you back, Snowbird Quilter.

Without a computer for 2 months?  I think that qualifies as a hardship these days.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Points 2,475
Clare replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 2:41 AM | Locked

Frances:
As for hobbies i think ive solved the problem get someone to teach her origami, then she can use toilet paper to make it with and reuse it after solves the problem of not spending money and gets her off of your back in one move.

Frances, next time I a read a post from you I will make sure that I'm not having a scotch at the same time! This cracked me up & I managed to spray my screen with scotch, you have one warped mind & I like it! lol

• | Post Points: 50
Page 247 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 245 246 247 248 249 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use