Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 246 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 244 245 246 247 248 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,525
Points 177,388
Marie replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:21 AM | Locked

Nana, glad you are home and on the road to recovery.  My thoughts and prayers for a speedy one.  God Bless.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,819
Points 39,825
ls2116 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:24 AM | Locked

Nana Bless your heart for keeping up with all the posts after surgery feel better.

Yesterday went to store again myself talked with a manager on led tv they couldn't match price but said they would waive restock fee if we returned tv for that day only.  I told DH throwing the decision back to him because I never want it thrown in my face that we purchased the lesser model and didn't shop around and didn't get 3d & web browsing.   He decided to be happy with the one we chose in the first place!  Could've saved me alot of aggravation and needless shopping if he didn't get all excited about the tv his band buddy got.

I might haul my x-mas tree in today.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:12 AM | Locked

Nana, glad you made it home and the worse is behind you!  Time now to just rest and recover!  That's what the drugs are for...now use them...for a little while...lol!  I wish someone had told me about the car ride before we drove home 200 miles the day after my back surgery last July!  I was in agony going around those mountain corners and finally had to ask DH to slow down...I just couldn't take it any more (and he didn't have a clue). 

Get lots of rest and let those muscles settle in to their new position.  We'll compare heights at the next Retreat...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:05 PM | Locked

*sigh* It  feels like i have been on-line all morning trying to get the kids Santa shopping out of the way before Dec starts. I think I have it about licked..and I got nearly everything for less then $8 S&H so I can't complain a bit. That's less then I'd spend driving to town. Of course there's still more to do, but the worst of it is taken care of. What did we do before Computers and Credit Cards??

The friend who asked me to make her quilt project for her, and then decided that she'd assemble if I made the blocks is back to her old tricks. I dumped the whole mess off at her place last week. Yesterday she showed it to her red hatter friends (many of whom quilt) and they all dove in, giving her tons of advice on how to complete it. Appearently, one of them is a real stickler for doing things "properly".  This morning i got an e-mail saying that I left too many un-clipped thread tails and asking why I hadn't squared the blocks for her!!!  (A week ago she'd never even heard of these things! LOL) I'm taking the tackful option and refraining from comment.

All of this does bring up some interesting questions:

How many of you square-up your blocks and how many of you trust your piecing and use them 'as is" ? Personally I rarely square things up. I haven't found a method that works for me and I always seem to end up with too-small, wonky blocks when I try it ....not to mention my points inevitably get squared off.

Do you trim threads as you go, or do you trim threads after you've completed your blocks?  I do both, depending on the number of patches.

Do you  believe there's a "Right and Proper" way to make a quilt, or do you think that as long as it holds together and looks good in the end, the method doesn't matter? Being the Queen of Casual, my attitude is that I don't care what method you use as long as it works for you and you enjoy what you are doing. That isn't to say that you shouldn't invest in learning different methods to achieve the results you want ... Ya gotta try on a lotta shoes before you find the perfect fit, Sister!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:38 PM | Locked

CC, what a strange lady .oh well . gald it's you and not me. right now in my mood I'd let her know  what for ...LOL   

anyway to answer some of your questions .I square up when all my bolcks are finished ,they are not always perfect ,but neither am I .

I like you cut threads when ever , and I swear I don't get them all .and I'm not gonna try ,I'd never get a quilt finsihed if I tried to cut them all .

Last I have no prefered method for quilt making . I just go with the pattern or the flow if fabric.  guess I like you am a Laid back person and if I like it it works .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,353
Points 20,380
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:16 PM | Locked

Oh my, CC.  I would love to meet this friend of yours.  :)

Maybe those unclipped threads will convince her to do her own crafting next time!

I hate squaring up unless I'm doing HSTs and then I'm fine, because I have a ruler for that.  I usually avoid squaring up though because my cutting mat is warped, so I don't have a good way to do it w/o being able to trust the measurements on the mat.  Also, I'm lazy and imperfections don't bother me.

I usually trim threads as I go, but I don't always trim them at all.  I use very thin thread and I can't tell that it shows if they're on the back of the fabric (inside the quilt).  I have never once clipped threads off of a finished block.

I'm a big fan of the  "whatever works" method.  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:29 PM | Locked

CC--First off, because I don't believe I've ever said so I enjoy your posts. Now to give you my opinion and what I do. In all cases, there is no right and no no wrong answer or way of doing things in life and quilting is probably at the top of the list. I was going to answer each point but I think my real answer is that it depends on a lot of things. Here's just a list of things that influence me: my mood, my feeling towards the person or situation where the finished project is destined, my mood, did the design speak to me, my mood, is this for enjoyment or is it a "I must do this" situation. Notice what dictates my work: my mood. 

I'm afraid if I had received the email you did my immediate response would have been, "Seeing you have all these critics telling you how it should be done why don't you have those same people finish it for you?" Case closed. Then again I have been called non'conformist to my face because I didn't do what everyone else was doing. My answer was, "You bet, and I love it." 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:39 PM | Locked

CC

with a friend like that, U definitely don't need any enemies!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:39 PM | Locked

CC,  I'm afraid that I too am a non-conformist at heart.  I do make an attempt at squaring blocks up, but to tell you the truth, I think I am just not a "square" person...lol! 

If I got an e-mail like that, I would "politely" reply that I am sure her friends will be more than happy to 'clean up' your work for her and finish the quilt to her liking.  AND, in the future, you are sure, they will be happy to take on her next "project" ( for free, the same as you, of course).

The nerve of some people...

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:01 PM | Locked

Ladies

So glad your surgeries went well, I know recovery will take sometime, please be patient and follow the Dr's orders. 

Praying for a full and speedy recovery.  Bless you both and anyone else in need of prayer or healing.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:12 PM | Locked

Yay, my snow-dance is finally working!!!  We have about 3" inches of snow so far today and it is still falling!  The forecast is 'iffy' between rain/snow mix, snow and/or rain.  Of course, I am praying for the white stuff...LOL!  The west side of Washington State is getting a lot of rain again with this storm-front moving through, but hopefully the mountains will push the warm trough up high enough so that the moisture will all fall as snow for us on the east side of Washington and on into Idaho (for Gini). The hills around us already have about 6 inches and we do have groomed cross-country skiing now.   I've been on skis three days so far - only an hour or so at a time - but that is OK with me!    I am just thrilled to be able to ski without lower back pain!!!!  Ski in the morning and quilt in the afternoon - a perfect day for me!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:03 PM | Locked

Geez CC.  I love your quilts, and am perplexed as to the reaction you got.  My guess is that the ladies had to search for something, so thread tails it is.  I rarely square my blocks.  Usually only the half square triangles that I deliberately made a tad bit larger to begin with.   I don't think I would help that lady in the future.  Maybe tell her where to find information on how to do it herself. 

Donna, we just have a couple inches of slop here at my altitude in the Chiliwist.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:17 PM | Locked

chocake2:
 Do you  believe there's a "Right and Proper" way to make a quilt, or do you think that as long as it holds together and looks good in the end, the method doesn't matter

Apparently your friend knows the quilt police...I would never get a quilt done if I had to follow hard and fast rules, so I would just shake off her comments. And while I'm at it, if she were truly a friend she would not be treating you this way. If you are doing this all for free, you might remind her that we get what we pay for!!! Ok, off my soap box.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:19 PM | Locked

Donna B:
Yay, my snow-dance is finally working!!! 

As long as you keep it up there where you and gini are, I can live without it... :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:22 PM | Locked

CC

I rarely square up anything unless it is HSTs that I made a little big to begin with.  As to clipping threads ....hmmm....I clip some and don't clip others.  If you aren't going to be able to see the threads when the quilt is finished I don't worry about them....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Page 246 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 244 245 246 247 248 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use