Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 238 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 236 237 238 239 240 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,010
Frances replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:22 AM | Locked

Nana,

Dont keep me in suspense what flavour cookies did you bake, some of us over the ocean are always looking for something different.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:24 AM | Locked

H-rumph!

LaJuan Sukochi Lee

I have 4 machines and I use and need and WANT them all. 

Ellegant to sew and embroider

Featherweight to sew and take with me on excursions and trips

Brother to sew and use for everything along with Featherweight, use them in conjution with each other...differnt color threads etc.

Janome my serger, self explanatory.

As for STASHES, well I've beautiful fabrics I've had for 40 years and lots that I purchased in recent years.  I've been gradually using more and more of my collections to make gifts for loved ones.  I confess I'm just a fab-bri-holic, too old to change, which I don't care to do anyway.

99% of my gifts are handmade, 1% would be gift cards, so far none this year.

As for huge Flat screen LCD, LED, Plasma etc, well if you can afford one, and have the wall or room for it...ENJOY!  I'll keep checking my favorite pawn shop for one to come in after the holidays.  So enjoyed my nephews giant screen, watching movies will never be the same.  I don't watch a lot of TV except in the evening and then it is usually PBS, GPB, MEtv...all for free thanks to antenna.  Yes my 32" flat screen suits me just fine for now.

Jest teasing you, glad to see you feeling better, getting a little feisty!  YOU GO GIRL!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:28 AM | Locked

I do remember the roller skates with the key.  Had a pair as a kid and loved them.  Also getting the milk delivered.  We had a local bakery that delivered baked goods house to house with a horse drawn wagon.  My FIL used to have his own route with the horse, wagon and all.  They had to take good care of their own horses and the biggest laugh was the horse knew the routine better than the drivers.  The driver would get out with a wire basket full of regular and special delivered goods and the horse would know to walk 3 houses or so along because then the drivers basket would be empty and he'd have to come back to the wagon for the next basket full.   We used to love to get carrots or whatever to feed to the horses.  I bought my FIL a black and white picture a number of years ago of one of those wagons with the horse to put on his wall.  Just as a reminder of happier times.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:42 AM | Locked

Marie

Yes we had milk delivery, glass bottles with thick cream on top.  We also had a bread truck, Fuller brush man, Watkins person.  And we had an iceman who delivered at my Grandmother's until she got a real refrigerator,  Then Grandfather took off the pump in the kitchen sink and had real running water put in that was so exciting.   Funny thing was we had running water in the baths, toilets, washing machine (wringer) only the kitchen had no running water.

I remember Grandfather killing chickens (he chopped off head and the bodies flopped all over the back of the garage) on Saturday for Sunday dinner after church.  Grandmother cleaned and plucked them, boy did they stink.

It was a huge house with a 2 bedroom apartment upstairs we lived there.  A wrap around deep porch, cherry trees, monster garden,  a berry garden and a big strawberry patch.  Grandmother grew and canned everything, she always had fresh eggs,  We loved it, when I look back though I don't ever remember her sitting down, she was always working.  If she did sit it was to sew for us girls or crochet, always busy. 

But no matter how busy she and Grandfather were, they always had time for us.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:51 AM | Locked

Yes, milk delivery in those bottles, the fuller brush man, someone who sold knives and scissors.  And I think I remember someone who came around to sharpen knives and scissors as well.  If I was without work, I think I would try door to door sales again.  (and if I was young.)  These days, there are parties or the sales man you feel obligated to give 2 hours to because a friend wants a deal on her vacuum cleaner.   And the parties and those vacuum cleaners are not cheap!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:56 AM | Locked

LOL. I grew up in a little town not much bigger then the one I now live in. Mom poked us out the door in the morning and told us to be home for supper. We thought we could get away with anything, but those darn neighbor ladies had quite a spy network. Mom always knew what we were up to! LOL And of course, if any of us kids got into trouble or got hurt somehow, the door of the nearest house was always open and first aide was adminitured. We never thought of running all the way home with our boo-boos. I also got my fair share of spankings from those same rescuers if my behavior warrented it... then I'd go home and get another one if Mom thought I needed it. LOL  Now I send a letter "home" every month and it gets passed from home to home so everyone knows what we're up to. Those old gals keep pretty close tabs on us kids. :)

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 10:12 AM | Locked

CC, yeah I agree that spy network was good , you couln't get away with anything without Mom knowing ,  

Anyone remeber those party lines on the rotory phones.  Gosh I hated those., could never get on the phone when you wanted as some gabby old lady always had the phone tied up ..LOL

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 10:20 AM | Locked

*sigh* Bro and Sil have returned to thier lives and left us to our own. The house seems empty without them. We'll have today to get back into routine before the kids go back to school in the morning. Sprout hasn't let me sleep much this past couple of days and I am sure it is just a little insecurity over the hubbub of the holiday. It's all new to him.

It's interesting to see everyones differing opinions on gift giving. Growing up,  We were " those poor people" getting the food baskets delivered from charities. Ironically, my brother and I usually had more gifts under the tree then the other kids in town, but they tended to be practicle items like coats and shoes. Mom never let us forget that we very blessed by the bounty.  Anyway, I think that's part of why my Bro is so inclined to be extraviagant with his gift giving. He's not keeping up with the Jones'. He's giving  because he can ! What a great blessing to have it to give!!  

My mother's parents sent a check at Christmas. My Father's family was there to help year-round and always gave small thoughtful gifts on the holiday (There were a lot of us grandkids to shop for!LOL). It's those litte trinkets I hold dear, not the money. You can guess which set of Grandparents I felt closest too...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 11:19 AM | Locked

Marie:
we used to have milk delivery to our homes and when I was in my early teens, my boyfriends dad used to deliver milk to our home.

we had milk delivery, too, as soon as mom or dad,  and as i got older, ME,   delivered milk from the cow to our front porch. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 11:19 AM | Locked

dup post

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 11:35 AM | Locked

Thea:
I didn't mean to say it wasn't all right to give money - what I meant was it upset me to receive money - I didn't ask for it and felt that that one day a year my - and it was my Dad - could go and find something special just for me

i understand where you are coming from thea, but i look at it a bit differently, and it is all perspective.   i  had to work 2 hours sitting in a chair cleaning someone's teeth to  pay for a $50. gift certificate, a half of a day to give a $100 certificate.  that is not an insignificant contribution to a gift.   and, a lot of people, have a lot of trouble coming up with ideas for gifts.

when the kids were in college, money was way more practical and greatly appreciated by them.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 11:38 AM | Locked

our daughter does the coolest thing on christmas morning.   the kids are encouraged to open one present  and play with that present, then and there.   some years it has taken all day  to open all their presents, and one year they were still opening presents the next day.  they don't get all that many gifts, either. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,455
Points 40,810
Mimi replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:13 PM | Locked

A while ago when my kids were little (they're now 28 and 32) I watched as they opened their many Christmas presents.  As I watched I noticed that they were not the least bit interested in what the gift was but what the next gift held.  The following year close to Christmas,  I was listening to Dr. Dobson or Family Life on the radio as I was driving and someone came on who said she only gave their children three gifts each Christmas to match the three gifts given by the wise men.   So from that Christmas on they only got three gifts.  They could ask for anything they would like, maybe a total outfit from the Gap, maybe a toolbox filled with tools, but it was only three gifts from then on.  That choice really took the frantic out of our celebration.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:58 PM | Locked

Getting some outside chores done, while we have this beautiful unseasonable weather.  Covered my tree peonies, stacked wood, moved some rocks, put up my wind chimes.  My sister?  She's up a tree.  Trimming branches.  She always spends half her time working when she visits. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,355
Points 242,137
Thea replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 1:01 PM | Locked

beautiful!

Page 238 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 236 237 238 239 240 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use