Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 237 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 235 236 237 238 239 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:34 PM | Locked

Bonita

That song was sang by Melanie.   In a really high pitch that made me think of chalk on a chalkboard.  That song is really old....we are definitely showing our age....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:38 PM | Locked

After baking 60 dozen cookies this weekend we are finally done with the bakcing.   Now tomorrow will be nose to the grindstone sewing to get the stockings ,finished.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 6:48 AM | Locked

Nana, 60 dozen? Did you start a bakery?  If you sell online, I will give you my bisuness.

I, too, remember that song. It got on my last nerve!! 

Seems we have spam on the forums today. So what else is new???  I can't get into the sites thru my email, anymore, in the mornings either, Have to go to the main site to get on. What a pain.

My fave day of the week. Sunday. Church. My week just isn't the same if I don't go. Oh, speaking of that. I was doing my lesson reading for today. Numbers 20. I read in the 1st chapter of the wilderness of Zin. I didn't know where that was and neither did Jim. So, called our Pastor, Ron, and said "Where is ZIN?" He said "Say again??" So I told him what I was reading and asked again. He told me and then started laughing. He thought I had said "We're in sin!" when I called. So funny.

Gotta get cleaned up. More later.  Quilt till you wilt.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:04 AM | Locked

lk

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:05 AM | Locked

Suckochi, I feel you on the church thing! We love our church. It has been a healing place for my son and I both. I am doing the scripture reading today so that should be fun! 

Nana - what kind of cookies?  Wow that is a lot!  I won't do my Christmas baking until next week at the earliest.  I have seven quilts to get done - two by December 10th.  Just pray for me!! 

Have a great day everyone!  I'm hoping to get more sewing done today after being sick all week and not accomplishing much.  I need to get my best friend's little girl's quilt (rag quilt) done and bind my best friend's quilt and her little boy's quilt.,,,and so much more.  :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:05 AM | Locked

Suckochi, I feel you on the church thing! We love our church. It has been a healing place for my son and I both. I am doing the scripture reading today so that should be fun! 

Nana - what kind of cookies?  Wow that is a lot!  I won't do my Christmas baking until next week at the earliest.  I have seven quilts to get done - two by December 10th.  Just pray for me!! 

Have a great day everyone!  I'm hoping to get more sewing done today after being sick all week and not accomplishing much.  I need to get my best friend's little girl's quilt (rag quilt) done and bind my best friend's quilt and her little boy's quilt.,,,and so much more.  :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,527
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:10 AM | Locked

Hello Gang,    Today I'll continue working on hand-stitching the binding down on a quilt for my FIL who is now in a nursing home.  I've made quilts for my MIL & FIL but MIL says she's saving them for good (I keep saying when "good" shows up, let him get his own quilt").  I'll be mailing it to my SIL so she can take it to her father and I told her if her mother so much as touches it, break her arm.  It's strictly for Dad to give him some comfort and something made with love and concern for him.  He is now getting himself around a bit more in a wheelchair  so he can use it when he's out wheeling around.  

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,606
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:21 AM | Locked

Boy, you guys are awakening some memories in me.  Frances, we used to have milk delivery to our homes and when I was in my early teens, my boyfriends dad used to deliver milk to our home.  He'd carry it in a 6 slot metal container.  The milk was in glass quart containers and we knew when he was coming with the metal and glass clanging.  When we finished the milk mom used to wash the bottles and put them out for the next delivery.  

Did anyone have a fruit peddler truck in their neighborhood, we did.  Oh, and also a domestic peddler, sheets, towels, etc.  See what you've caused!  :  )

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,879
Points 40,525
ls2116 replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:42 AM | Locked

The 52" flat panel led Tv didn't have all the bells and whistles DH thought it had.  He dragged me out of house went to 3stores X2  He wanted me to get dif TV double the cost I walked out of store! Pushy Salesman!  Then another one told us that these web browsing tv's don't hold memory like a computer so I say if you want a computer buy one.  Anyone have one I am confused about all this new technology?  I don't know if DH is keeping the 52" or not but right now the whole thing is upsetting for me try to do a nice thing and and no  must have the bigger better toy.  Thanks for listening to me vent.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,879
Points 40,525
ls2116 replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:46 AM | Locked

I do by the way remember my rollerskates, bike and milkman.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,611
Points 247,177
Thea replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 8:05 AM | Locked

Sukochi, I didn't mean to say it wasn't all right to give money - what I meant was it upset me to receive money - I didn't ask for it and felt that that one day a year my - and it was my Dad - could go and find something special just for me - to take the time to go out and look for something for me then to sit down and address a card and put the check in it as though I was nothing but a problem that once a year got taken care of... this from the man whom did not send me birthday presents if I didn't send him one - if he just got a card because that was all I could afford to do - then all I got was a card... so I learned if I wanted something from him I had to give to him in kind - so I learned to set aside that money and buy his gift - sometimes I would have his gift a few days after his birthday and keep it all year to send him the next year... I don't mind checks though if you need it - but I don't give them for Christmas or birthdays - if you need them I might send you something before or after that date to help you out.  

I know I am absolutely weird on this topic - but I always felt that that check was just 2 seconds of someone's day and I have always felt that I was worth more of my parents time then 2 seconds... I listen to my kids all year long for the things that they say they really want - and I find a way to help them out... special gifts at Christmas - I do give them money during the year too - and I have told them now that I won't lend them money - if I have it they can have it - I will not stress about whether they will pay me back - been there done that and it isn't worth me stressing...teehee...

I do remember ice skates and roller skates - for some reason I was better on ice then on the sidewalk - teehee....my son still has his roller blades - not skates and goes skating with his kids.  

And boxes - oh I have to laugh about that one - my DDIL has a day care in her home now so that she can still bring in a paycheck but be at home with her kids - last year I was sending them different things via UPS and they had the boxes in the livingroom as a little town - the kids loved playing with them and decorating them... she said after they became so delapidated from playing and had to be thrown away that the kids got really sad and asked her when Nana Thea was going to send some more stuff so they could have the boxes... they had a little town - she had made them up to look like a grocery store and post office - learning items and a ton of fun.

My kids have decided this year to reduce the gifts at Christmas - to talk about the reason for the season and that Santa doesn't have to bring dozens of gifts - the kids usually just find one that they play with and the rest just set aside... so they are doing what I think is the responsible thing to do - also paying cash and nothing is going on a credit card - if they don't have the money to do it - well then they don't do it - which to me is wonderful in this day and age of plastic.

I don't know how he got so responsible - he says it was all the lessons I taught as he was growing up - told him I think he was living in someone else's house...teehee

But with my Dad - I did send him back the check when he sent it to me - I wanted him to just take a little time to go out that one day of the year and think of me... he did after that year - made my SM furious though - and I guess I should have just taken those checks...teehee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,611
Points 247,177
Thea replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 8:12 AM | Locked

Nana:

After baking 60 dozen cookies this weekend we are finally done with the bakcing.   Now tomorrow will be nose to the grindstone sewing to get the stockings ,finished.

Nana - no wonder you are in pain - 60 dozen cookies...did that years ago when we were in the military stationed in Japan - money was super tight as the cost of living over there is astronomical - I do not know how they do it - for instance gas here at the time was 1.19 a gallon and over there we paid 4.99 a gallon - so we were military poor and for gifts that year we sent out home made cookies ... I loved doing that  - making all the different kinds - here - well no one to eat them and I can't afford the calories so I just will make some sugar cookies for my home and visiting teachers and a few friends...

But wow 60 dozen at our age - nope - but I bow down to the work you did and say halleluiah that you made it through...teehee

Take a breath now though - your body needs it... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,611
Points 247,177
Thea replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 8:15 AM | Locked

Brandy:
I feel you on the church thing! We love our church. It has been a healing place for my son and I both. I am doing the scripture reading today so that should be fun! 

Church - if I don't go my week is horrible - I always feel better when I start my week out with the Lord in his house.  I showered about 2-3 hours ago so that I could go today - it takes me a long time to get ready in the morning - nope don't do anything but let my old worn out body wake up - and that takes it forever...lol  I am getting ready though to go today - It is a good way to start the week - reading scriptures at church is wonderful!  have fun!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,608
Points 52,050
Ginny replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 8:36 AM | Locked

Oh Thea,  I forgot about the rollerblades.  Yep, I skated on those too until a 4 year old flopped down in back of me when I was skating backwards on them.  That ended that.  I sold them.  I was too old for those falls.

As far as sending money goes  I do that often for a granddaughter and her family that are on SSI.  I tell her to get something for the kids to wear as I don't often know their sizes and I send them crayons, paints, paper and other crafty things.  Sometimes I give them money for gas to put in their vehicle to come for the holidays.  I have even bought them tires at a time or 2.  Since I am on a fixed income, sometimes it is hard for me to do this, but I make it work out.     Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:11 AM | Locked

OH how I remember those roller skates with the key on the shoelace. And I had the clauses(not sure I spelled that right ) on my knees to prove it ,I was the queen of the neighbor hood. I skated everywhere .We had sidewalks in my neighborhood so I got really  good . We also had in the summer Wed,night skating at the old gym they had a floor they could put down for skaters to use, but you had to have the shoe type skates to do this . I spent my summers doing that  with the music and everything  that was the place to hangout for kids.

My parents use to get the milk delivered as well we had a galvanized milk box he would but it in  in glass bottles ,it was always so good and cold.

The other big entertainment for us was the swingset in the back yard. we spent hours on that set and I know we wore out at least two of them.  LOL.. MOm would send us outside in the mornings and we just were all over the neighbor hood ,only rule was to be home in time for dinner or you didn't get any and usually sent to your room for the night .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 237 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 235 236 237 238 239 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use