Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 236 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 234 235 236 237 238 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:11 PM | Locked

I find it a bit ironic that my brother insists on buying  the kids these big-ticket, high-tech toys when we really did have the most fun with the simplest stuff as kids. But, to be fair, hedid go out in the back lot  and havea snowball fight with them yesterday, and, I don't doubt that if I handed them a roll of tape and a pile of boxes to entertain themselves, he'd be right there having fun with them.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:14 PM | Locked

Marie:
 Can I come, pweese?

Of course!! Silly woman, you don't need to ask. You should know that!

Marie:
BTW, I like you giving hubby a choice, what was it?  

Either I demonstrate the shotgun technique on him, or on the TV if he doesn't use headphones?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:16 PM | Locked

Agnes, can you even imagine what it'll be like in 20 years?  How did we get so lost?  I've been trying to talk my children into doing something or making something nice and thoughtful for each other for many years now but it hasn't caught on yet.  I'm as guilty as the next one and buy right into the shopping and complaining and over spending myself but I always give something homemade as well.  One year my youngest daughter could barely make ends meet so what she did was write a personal letter to everyone telling them what that person meant to her.  I still have mine and it still brings tears to my eyes when I read it.  It's still so precious to me and a gift that keeps on giving.  OOPS I sound like that commercial, sorry, I got carried away.  :  )

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:31 PM | Locked

chocake2:
Either I demonstrate the shotgun technique on him, or on the TV if he doesn't use headphones?

Yep, that's what I asked.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,900
Points 69,285
Bonita replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:32 PM | Locked

CC, my father used to work for the railroad and when the refridgerators would be unpacked. Daddy would bring home the boxes, they were tall enough for us shorter kids to stand up in them. They made great houses, we cut doors and windows they lasted until the first rain and then we waited for the next delivery Thanks for the memories.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,900
Points 69,285
Bonita replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:35 PM | Locked

Marie, my 4 yr old DGD asked for santa to bring her skates this year. That's really the only request she's made.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:45 PM | Locked

Bonita, that's so sweet.  Bet the skates don't come with a key these days.  

BTW, I still have my key somewhere in this house but the skates are long gone.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,900
Points 69,285
Bonita replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 6:16 PM | Locked

Marie, no key they come with the shoes now. That way you have to buy new ones every year as the kids feet grow. Do you remember the song I've got a pair of brand new roller skates, I've got a brand new key?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 7:04 PM | Locked

No, sing it for me Bonita!  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 7:36 PM | Locked

Marie:
can you even imagine what it'll be like in 20 years?

Marie-No, I don't even want to go there. The really sad part is that people are taking this extravagance to all facets of life, not just Christmas. It's almost like people have to spend money as if they are proving that the more they spend the better person they are. Not in my books! We as an immediate family, late hubby, myself and sons, went to the NO Gift stand quite a few years ago but have always concentrated on being there for one another, no matter what has happened. So the only gifts that I need to think about (I don't worry) is something for the grandson. If I feel I want to gift something it is a just because gift and comes from my handwork closet. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 9:08 PM | Locked

It might make you feel a little better to know that I, as a contemporary of some of your children, had adjustable skates as a child. Dad refused to buy the shoe style. Of course that was in the days of the roller-derby (and disco derby), and the local rink would NOT allow us in with the adjustable 'street' skates. They said they were un-safe, so we had to rent the boot style. :( I never got very good at it and the skates + key are long gone.  I'm curious tho..how many of you had the really cool white high tops with light-up wheels???

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 9:25 PM | Locked

Well, I had the street skates with the key when I was young, but lived on a dirt road so had to rollerskate in the basement.  I also had the high top whites, but the lighted wheels must have been after my time.  I still love hearing an organ playing "skating music"  --brings back good memories.     Ginny

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 9:49 PM | Locked

Ginny:

Well, I had the street skates with the key when I was young, but lived on a dirt road so had to rollerskate in the basement.  

You guys were lucky to have skates!! I had a hose and soap suds for skating on a concrete porch. lol.  

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:26 PM | Locked

Bonita:

Marie, no key they come with the shoes now. That way you have to buy new ones every year as the kids feet grow. Do you remember the song I've got a pair of brand new roller skates, I've got a brand new key?

Yep Bonita, I remember that one, ive got it on a CD somewhere.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:40 PM | Locked

I did have skates but not the boot style too expensive for our household, but we also used an empty upturned milk crate used candle wax on the bottom to make it go faster and then sat on it and slid it down the hill which had a hard path.

Just in case you dont have milk crates in the states this is what we used.

didnt cost us anything borrowed from the local shop and returned later.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 236 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 234 235 236 237 238 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use