Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 235 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 233 234 235 236 237 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:21 PM | Locked

Debating...I usually put the tree up on December 19th, a week before Christmas...thinking about starting to decorate the mantle and balcony.  I desperately need some fresh pine boughs...maybe go by a Christmas tree farm and pray they have some....better yet the grocery store, the boughs they remove from the trees are free there. 

Need to check out Lowe's and see if they have those cinnamon scented pine cones, that always make my house smell so fresh and holidayish.  Will hang my log cabin Christmas wreath quilt  also.  Yep just a small start for this week.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,659
Points 37,415
ls2116 replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 1:01 PM | Locked

Joni Joann Fabrics has scented Pine Cones Check there.

Thea did your chest pain go away?

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 1:12 PM | Locked

Whoo.... Thanksgiving weekend is about over..thank Heavens.   Did the usual big dinner on Thanksgiving then part of us went black friday shopping...about 7 hrs worth.   Did find lots of bargins and finished up alot of my gift buying.  Then Friday was the beginning of cookie making.   So far DD and I have made 7 different batches of cookies and a big pan of "sweet" chex mix.   Now I am going to go get my hair cut and run by JoAnn's for a couple of must haves.   Then we come home and make chocolate dipped pretzels.   Tomorrow is finishing the stockings, tree skirt and wallhanging.   I also need to get some handwork projects cut out and ready before Wed's surgery.   I think I am really just ready for a nap.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 1:16 PM | Locked

Jim and I were talking this morning about Christmas gifts for kids. They don't want toys, I mean real toys aka Toys R US, anymore. It is all electroic and so expensive now. I was tickled to death with a doll or a bike r even a pair of roller skates (Do any of you remember roller skates? . All those things kept me busy from morning till night.

My BIL has a 50" flat screen in the basement, of there in town Macmansion. He can't watch movies on anything smalle, and must have sourround sound. My question, for those of you who have these monsters, is..........WHY do you need these things that take up half a wal?. Are your eyes bad? Do you spend all your time in front of these things??? Or, did you just have excess money to blow? Or, do you know some Jones' you must keep up with? Sorry, but I just don't get it. I wouldn't turn on the TV, if it weren't for Jim and his addiction.  We have a 32" inch (which a nieghbor boy told me is...." SO small". It works for us. BIL has three at the lake house.  Geez.....Thank the Lord, there are no Jones' in our nieghborhood.

I guess I could start in on multiple sewing machines, huge stashes and all sotrs of other quilting stuff.......but we won't go there. You would probably throw tomatos, or spools of threat at me. I have one older Borther machine, a few rulers, and a managable but small stash. That seems to be all I need. I must be a oddball in this world of high tech.

Into my sewing room to finished up Secret Santa, wrap and box and ready for mailing. No new projects on the horizon for 2013. Will have all the quilt tops in the closet off to the LAQ, as I can afford to send them, finish all my UFO.s and then consider what to do in 2014. As all this will take the whole of 2013.

Went out this a.m. and bought the one gift I had to get. Christmas shopping  is done. YAY! Now, all that is left is to write a check to DS and DDIL. Jim and I gave each other a concrete driveway for this  Christmas.....and next Christmas, and the one after that, and the one........

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,243
Points 239,807
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 1:45 PM | Locked

Sukochi, I had to laugh at what you wrote... I don't get cell phones - I have one for emergencies and when we go on road trips as it is almost too dangerous to be out on the road and get a flat or break down and not be able to call someone - i don't get texting at all...My Mom rang a bell in the back yard to call us home and by gosh we had better hear that bell... now parents need to be in constant touch and know everything - I don't get how one is to grow up when you are told every step of the way... but that is my soap box.

We have a 40+" screen television in our back living room and a small 27" in the front living room... I don't want one in my bedroom - never have - that room is for sleeping or reading in bed - not watching tv...I do like our big one in the livingroom - I like watching movies on it and getting the surround sound effect - plus I can skype on it and actually see my kids...lol  

I have a kindle for reading - I love books but don't have the space for book cases... DH has lots of men toys - saws and stuff like that - he won't even touch a computer - nor a cell phone... not sure what he will do when I am gone... move in with the kidz...teehee...

I have never competed with anyone and just do my thing - if that isn't good enough - well - my DH seems to think it is...

I have several sewing machines - but they are my toys... I feel I deserve them for all my hard work...

And one last thing - I do not write checks for Christmas - hated getting them as a young adult - always sent them back if my parents or grand parents bought one - told them if they couldn't take the time to make something special for me or know me well enough to buy me something that I would really like - then to keep the money as I make that on my own and if I don't - I would call and borrow from them... I start early in the year looking for those special gifts for my kidz and if needed for something really special - I start putting away a little here and there to buy it.    I also don't believe in the CC at Christmas time... One special gift and many home made from the heart gifts and sometimes that special gift is home made from the heart too... I have always given to my DS and my DH as much as I give to myself... and a special card is all I want from my Grand kids - and maybe a picture or two.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 1:58 PM | Locked

Max, what a beautiful embroidery piece, I love horses, so regal.  Your coloring is just the right touch, good job!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 2:06 PM | Locked

CC, I love your newsy posts, makes me want to come live with you.  There's never a dull moment and what you've told us about your family they are so thoughtful and loving.  Can I come, pweese?

BTW, I like you giving hubby a choice, what was it?  :  )

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 2:29 PM | Locked

Thea, the reason we give money to the kids is they live pretty much hand to mouth. They ask for money for Christmas. This doesn't account for the clothes, and Walmart gift cards we send throught out the year " just because"

My DN and DNIL sat in the same house during Thanksguving and texted each other. They were not 10 feet from each other. They do that at home too. What happened to conversation? They are SO funny. I asked why they did not talk to each other. They said it was becuase they were talking about all of us and that way, they could be rude!!. Just too funny. But, they do text at home. Why walk up from the leower level if you can text. Kids today. My DS was all upset that I didn't get a cell with text. I said if he has something to say to me, I would like to hear his precious voice. We have tried skypeing with him. He has nothing to say,  but can talk for a hour on the phone. With the skype he did show us their house. I had a hard time holding my tongue!! Their sofa is all stained and they want to SPRAY PAINT it. ; {

Oh, do y'all remember the joy of playing in a big box, (refridgerator boxes were the best), when you were kids?  Or, fort under the kitchen tale with a sheet over it?  My Mom wouldn't let us have Barbie dolls becuase they were too well developed and would give us the wrong ideas. Boy, if she could see the world now. We watched Leave It To Bever last night. I stil enjoy that show.

When we were at the Thanksgiving party, the DN and DNIL had a baby, who was throwing a walleyed fit. They sat him in the high chair and put this little computer in front of him with Bubble Guppies on it. Not only did he quit the crying, he did not take his eyes off it for an hour. They said he has a TV, on the wall, at the end of his CRIB. Of course, with Bubble Guppies. No rocking that baby to sleep.

I think I should just go live under my rock again. Sorry for my soap box. I just think the true meaning of Christmas has gone by the way side.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 2:36 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
a pair of roller skates (Do any of you remember roller skates?

Sukochi, you've brought up a fond memory.  Roller skates were my favorite thing.  I had the ones you put on with your shoes on and had a key to tighten them and those ball bearings in the wheels had you flying down the sidewalk!  Boy, I've really aged myself but it was well worth it, I loved my skates!

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 2:51 PM | Locked

Marie, Guess you were a city girl. Didn't have skates when I was a kid. Gravel roads and skates did not mix. But I rode my horse every day and it was a wonderful life.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 3:09 PM | Locked

Marie:
 I had the ones you put on with your shoes on and had a key to tighten them

I wore my key around my neck with a shoelace through it. Oh, those days. That was the best fun!!

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 4:15 PM | Locked

My Grands owned a laundry mat, and whenever they replaced a machine, we got the box.  When Papa pulled into the drive with a box in the truck, every kid in town came running! Those boxes were wonderful... first they were houses and rocket ships.Then when the bottom broke out they were turned on thier sides and they became tunnels, then tanks. Eventually they'd tear down the side, and we'd run and slide across them in our sock feet. Finally they fell in to tattered bits...which were then used to *bop* each other about the head and shoulders while we chased around town. Dad used to say he never had much to haul to the dump when we were done with them.  We really got a lot of use out of a bit of carboard and our imaginaions.  In summer we'd sleep-out in them, and in winter the panels made great sleds.

One year we gave the kids a stack of packing boxes DH picked up somewhere and a roll of duct tape, then stepped back and let them go to it. They made a fort with seperate rooms and tunnel hallways  in the back yard. They entertained themselves for days! 

Hmmm...Maybe that's what i'll give them for Christmas this year. We'll call it the Anti-Wii. LOL

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,252
Points 28,345
Agnes replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 4:15 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
I just think the true meaning of Christmas has gone by the way side.

I'll join you on that soap box. After owning and operating a general mix hardware/housewares/toy/etc store in small communities for over 20 years Christmas Day was a much needed day of rest. We were plain worn out helping people with their shopping because the bottom line for most was how much money they could spend or who in the family/neighborhood they could outdo. It was some of the same people who then had no problem calling us on Christmas Eve after closing or even Christmas Day because they had forgotten someone or something. The other line from this is "I am owed this." It's as if everything is measured by $$$$ signs. This holds for so so many occasions because the world has taken an occasion and made it all a show. So we went the other way. No, not humbug, but forget the overindulgence. Let me crawl into my corner and enjoy my own company.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 4:58 PM | Locked

Joan, my street was a dirt street with dirt sidewalks, it was a private street.  Private meant you never got plowed out in the winter.  I was allowed to go to the next street up from my house and skate on the sidewalks along with probably a dozen other kids.  It was safe back in the day.

Sukochi, I also wore my key around my neck with a shoelace.  Thanks for bringing up that sweet memory.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:01 PM | Locked

Times sure have changed CC.  That's what THEY call progress.

Millbury, MA

Page 235 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 233 234 235 236 237 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use