Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 234 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 232 233 234 235 236 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,022
Thea replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 6:56 PM | Locked

Well, dinner is over - the mess in the kitchen is still there - although all the leftovers have been put away... I just didn't have any energy to start washing dishes... I'll get to them sooner or later... just not worrying about them...

Dinner was great - we had such good conversation - Mom enjoyed herself and sat with us at the table - Rita's Mom filled her plate twice...teehee... I absolutely love Turkey dinner - I know if I ate it once a month or once a week it wouldn't be as good as it is at the holidays... I sent them home with a huge doggie dish of food and we will still be able to make sandwiches for days...teehee...

Please say some prayers for my Schwann's delivery man - he has been having a lot of stress in his life for the last 6 or so months - his wife and he separated and divorced and it has been really rough on him - he wasn't able to deliver my order yesterday he ended up in the hospital - he had a stress induced black out... dangerous to say the least - he called me though and was very upset that he couldn't deliver my order and although we were going to miss our pies it was no big deal to me - and then just as we were getting ready to sit down to eat he showed up - his ex wife had picked him up from the hospital with his children and had loaded him and the orders he needed to deliver in the car and they brought the orders to us... above and beyond what he had to do... He does need a special prayers though to get him through this horrific stressful situation that he finds himself in.  So say a prayer for him please.

Now, the turkey is working on me and my eyes are very heavy so I am thinking a turkey nap...

was a yummy day!  Happy turkey day to all of you - hope you are as fat and happy with food as I am...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 12:01 PM | Locked

WHOOfta! It was quite a holiday! I hope each and everyone of you were as blessed as we were.

MiL drove herself up  (a big step for her, even tho it's only 40 miles of easy driving)  and spent the night . Bro and SiL caught their flight and arrived an hour before we expected them! DH was able to change his schedule and got off work 2 hours earlier then planned. Bssman came and brought his puppy. It was a full house! LOL My mashed tators didn't get heated all the way through, so we had luke warm spuds. The turkey needed another 20 min in the oven after evernything else was done... but the meal was well eaten. DS1's pie was raved over. 

I expected Sprout to protest the hubbub but he was happy as a clam playing with everyone. When he got tired he snuggled up on his aunty and dozed off. MiL had a tizzy when the dogs kissed him and really got worked up when we set him on the "Dirty" floor to skooch around. ('Guess she doesn't have much faith in my housekeeping skills...). Ironically it was my 'neat freak' sister in law who told her to lighten up. LOL

Now Mil has returned  home, and the sibs are halfway across the state visiting the rest of the kinfolks. I'm trying to get the last of the tidying up done and maybe get an hour or two in at work before bro and sis get back.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,022
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 4:18 PM | Locked

CC - sounds like you had a wonderful day!  Our dinner went off with only 1 hitch - no pumpkin pie... I had decided this year to order them and the Schwann's delivery guy had a problem and so no pie... I did have a pumpkin torte so wasn't a complete loss but I think this is the first year without one... I know next year I will be making it from scratch... and then we tried the new Green Giant green bean casserole - another thing I will be making from scratch next year... I think I am too picky though as everyone else ate it... I am just used to things a certain way...teehee... 

Kids do need to be exposed to germs - although I think that your house is probably very neat and clean - I would definitely trust it - you don't seem to me to be the type that would be messy... cluttered but not dirty...teehee...

I got the start of my snowmen out and hung several of my Christmas snowmen quilts up - plus my McKenna Ryan Christmas quilts - the house is starting to look like Christmas... I love this time of year - had to play with all my snowmen - several needed new batteries - so the old batteries are being recharged and will be ready to go again soon... DH is putting up the last of the outside decorations - he did get the roof lights up the other day when it was warm - today the temperature is dropping and has the feel of snow in the air...supposed to be below the freezing level tonight... 

I am thinking of starting the cookies for Christmas tomorrow so I can send a big box of them to the kidz for the holiday - some fudge and taffy too - thinking about it - - no energy as of a little while ago - and the hands hurt... have been warming them up in the electric blanket... think I might have to go see if they can give me a shot in the thumb - I cringe to think of it but think it might just have to be done...

I am ready to start sewing again - haven't sat at my sewing machine for 5 days now  - - trying to get the chest pain to go away... it has lessened but not gone completely so going to sew tomorrow and see what happens... cross your fingers... I want to get Rita's quilt done - she has been patiently waiting for it... 

Well, happy black friday to all!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 4:39 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

I used to hear that babies who walk too soon are bowlegged. Is that true?

If babies who walk too soon are bowlegged, our youngest son sure would be.  He pulled himself up in the playpen at 6 months, walked around the furniture at 7 months.  He was tiny, so small that he had to look under the top of the playpen when he stood up!  He was not bowlegged, of course he didn't weigh much either.  

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 5:54 PM | Locked

It certainly sounds like you all have had a great holiday with family and friends.   We had a quiet day on Thursday.  We got a new 55" TV and sound system so everyone enjoyed watching the parade and lots of football.  We even got in a movie on the screen before we were finished for the day.

I've been coming on and reading some items, but found I couldn't keep up so I'll join when I can.  I've been dealing with problems with my replacement shoulder and my other shoulder getting sore because it is being over used.  Of course I wanted to paint an area of the house and ended up helping with rolling the wall so my muscles would get a workout.  I got more than I bargained for.  I am now resting my body for next weeks activities.

This weekend will be the time for putting up Christmas decorative items.  I discovered I have more wallhanging quilts than I have space so I had to choose and will alternate each year.  Tree is up but not festive yet. 

We don't do the cookies any more.  Got to be too big a job so we quit a few years ago.  We get lots of tasting at everyones home so we don't really miss them.

Dinner of leftover turkey, etc.  so I'd better go join my family.    Take care everyone,

Caryl of Buda, TX

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,629
Points 36,935
ls2116 replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 11:39 PM | Locked

I survived Thanksgiving and greatful I was for the food I cooked I was just disapointed my sil decided to cook hers the same day! Normally we share the holiday and have a big party not this year though now I might cancel my X-mas party.  I just feel its stupid for both of us to be cooking on same day and slave to the kitchen when alot of people that your expecting don't show up!

Worked out alot of problems with my furniture overload and now I can start sewing again.  DH will be on his month long vacation soon so i'll be having to run around with him.

He couldn't wait to set up his flat screen Tv  but hopefully everything is done being rearranged but I still don't have a comfortable recliner to sit in.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 8:19 AM | Locked

Wendy this is the 1st time I've seen someone actually use this quilting implement.  You look like you are really enjoying it, guess I had best look at the u-tube piece. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 8:32 AM | Locked

Let me be the first to wish you all a MERRY CHIRSTMAS!!  Her we go, girls........!

Gift shopping, just for a couple things. Easy Peasy. A few errands to run. Then home to finish the cute thing I am making for my S.S. giftee. I am just tickeled with it.

R. I. P. Larry Hagman.

HAve a quilty day, everyone.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965
MaxNTopeka replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:28 AM | Locked

I've been experimenting and playing this morning!

A few days ago Judy and Kris and some others were discussing adding 'background color' to embroidery projects. The discussion was about using crayons or other coloring methods.  I've been working on a little embroidery projects that will someday, maybe, go into a quilt top so the discussion caught my attention.  

I've tried crayons and fabric together at different times in the past, and haven't been entirely happy with the results...probably what I was doing, or how I was doing it...not necessarily the crayons fault! But someone mentioned Pentel Fabric Pastel Dye Sticks.  Whoever did, Thank you!!

I played around with an embroidery block I've been working on that I didn't worry too much about messing up.  The dye sticks come in a box of 15 colors, for about $4. Got mine at Hobby Lobby in the fabric paint department. The directions are minimal, but I did follow what there were of them.  What I really liked about them is that you can wash the colors out if you don't like what you did...up to the point you heat set them with an iron.  I have heat set this block, and washed with mild detergent. I am pretty happy with the results!   I used a light touch when coloring with the sticks and got a nice light coloring. A heavier touch would easily result in a more intense color, which I didn't really want.

Only problem I see with using them in an embroidery project is being tempted to color in too much of the background!  They are easy to use and a lot of fun!

I guess I'd better get back to work on filling in the horses!  

Only two more days of entertaining DH before he goes back to work and is out from underfoot. YEA! Four day holidays are too long...

Hope ya'll have a wonderful quilty weekend!

Max

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:32 AM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Let me be the first to wish you all a MERRY CHIRSTMAS!!
 AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Panic! Hysteria in the streets!!  Christmas!! ALREADY!!!!?????  Yipe!

Actually, we celebrated Christmas with the sibs last night. They'll be spending the holiday with my SiL's folks, and they wanted to see the kids faces when they opened thier gifts, so we started a month early. 

They got us a new flat screen TV (There seems to be an epidemic of them around here all f a sudden!)  and the kids got a Wii. Yes, it sounds extravigant...and it is...but when you consider how much they'd spend on this mob buying individual gifts, it was probably the cheaper option. LOL I suspect my bro is trying to make up for all of the gadgets we didn't have as kids by getting them for my off-spring. He's always loved toys.

The children are exstatic. I'm overwelmed. DH is already trying to figure out how to get his earphones to reach the reclyner so he can stream movies when he gets home from work at OMG:30AM. I told him if I hear that contraption turn on before the sun is up, I'll demonstrate how to use a shotgun in a close contact situation. (I left it up to him to decide whether I'd aim at him or at the TV... bwhahahah)

SiL is the one i blaim for my bead additction. I really have no interest in jewelry, but Sis is a very elegant lady, ans is always assessorized. She got into designing and making her own jewelry about the time they were married.  For Christmas that year, she gave DD a beginning beading kit, and of course, that meant Mom had to learn how to do it so I could help her.  About that same, time the art studio offered a Lampwork Beadmaking class, which DD couldn't take without an adult present, so again, Mom went to the rescue. Once that torch was lit, I was a goner...      Anyway, now, SiL rarely has time to indulge in her own creative pursuits and her jewelry making has fallen by the wayside. She's alwys gone towards the more discreate designs in her work - as I said, she's elegant and refined. So I was suprised the other day when she sat down with the cheesy bobbles I have been making this week and selected several character beads that she just had to take home!! How flattering.   ...Of course that means now I have to make more to replentish my stock. LOL  Pray the weather /kids co-operate! Maybe that's why they got the Wii...so I could sneak out and play with my toys while they are entertained with their own.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:38 AM | Locked

Max,

Our Bee did a session on the color book style of blocks and we found the type of colors you mentioned to be the easiest to work with, but many like the various shading that the good ole Crayola brand has.  They also tested ater ironing and soaking the piece.  These two items for color stayed well for several rising/ironing dry times.  We didn't like the effect lqd. fabric softners had on the piece (can't remember why.)

I'm going to be learning to use my embroidery machine in a couple of weeks.  I may try the coloring on it also.  Thanks for the idea.

Caryl, Buda TX

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,225
Points 27,610
Agnes replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:41 AM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
But someone mentioned Pentel Fabric Pastel Dye Sticks.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiment. Looks like that might be what gets me back to an embroidery project. Just have to see if I can source the dye sticks locally.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,022
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:41 AM | Locked

Max - that is gorgeous.  I agree - a little goes a long way.  Your embroidery is fantastic - wish mine were even close - I do need to get some of my embroidery projects out and work on them while I am trying not to sew at the machine.  The pain in my chest got really bad last Sunday after I had quilted all day Saturday on Rita's quilt - so bad I didn't go to church or do anything for 3 days... had to really pace myself to get everything done for Thanksgiving - but I found I could get it all done and rest too... just no sewing... so tomorrow I want to go to church so am not sewing today - tomorrow I will start and see if the pain stays mild or gets worse and we will know for sure what is making it worse...I think it is the weight of Rita's quilt - and maybe the fluffing and stuffing with that weight - DH is trying to figure out a way to take the weight away   I figure I will just not quilt any anymore - I'll have to get Christine to want more quilts made - teehee...  it is going to be a great partnership between her and I.  I am so amazed that someone finally took me up on my offer... I do love making quilts but quilting them has always been a problem and the cost of having a long arm quilter here do them was beyond my pocketbook... I am truly blessed this year with finding her!  Or her finding me!  

It got cold here in Enid last night and my arthritis kicked in fiercely and DH forgot to turn the space heaters on - I got out of bed and turned them on - but when I tried to get back in bed till the house warmed up - the body said NO WAY... so moved to my chair and huddled with the fur babies under my electric blanket - we are finally getting warm and they mostly have moved on to a cooler spot...teehee...

Got most of my SS package ready to go - need to find a box to pack it in and get it labeled so ready to go to UPS on the 5th... a few little things to add... and it will be all set - hope she likes all my ideas...

I have to decide on the center for my round robin endeavor - have a few ideas ... I am thinking of 2 main ideas but haven't completely made up my mind yet...

We had our first turkey leftover sandwiches last night - yummy.... 

Hope everyone stays quilty warm!  hugz to all!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,022
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:47 AM | Locked

Barbara:
Wendy I did go watch the video ,on you -Tube, Looks Like yo were enjoying this. I may have to give this a second look.  since I can't afford a long arm  Most of my quilts are queen size or smaller.  Look fun. Barbara

Barbara - I'll give you mine - I tried and tried - I don't like it at all... so if you want it you can have it... mine is an older version though - but all there.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:27 AM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
But someone mentioned Pentel Fabric Pastel Dye Sticks.  Whoever did, Thank you!!

Wow Max, this turned out great!  Now I am going to have to try them.  I had tried the crayons as I mentioned before, but in checking out the Crabapple Hill website found a tip that I thought I would pass on for those wanting to try them:  Use the white crayon heavily in the area first to fill the spot you plan to shade, then use the color over it for a smooth appearance.  Of course, then heat set.  I'm going to try that too!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Page 234 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 232 233 234 235 236 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use