Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 233 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 231 232 233 234 235 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 10:30 PM | Locked

Wendy :

Good afternoon everyone

Just wanted to share last night with you.  It was quilt night for patches and most of us work for the school districts in our area.  We didn't have to be up at the crack of dawn this morning so we had an almost all nighter at the church last night.  We started at four in the afternoon, and finished up a 1:30 this morning. Here is 2 pics and a video of the fun time I had last night.  This past year I bought the mid arm that you see and the Flynn frame.  This is the first time using the Flynn frame. I just wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Vzvne_z-o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Happy sewing everyone

Looks like you had a blast! Love the colors.

xoxoxo,

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 10:46 PM | Locked

chocake2:

Moomist, those pies look good enough to eat!

Ds1 made the prettiest "pumpkin" pie I've ever seen today. DD made the cranberry sauce. I made the apple pie. The spuds are smooshed. Got the yeast proofing to make the roll dough. All that's left today is to make the dressing.

It's been a week full of milestones for Sprout: He got his first tooth, Learned to crawl... And today!? OMG !! The kids had him playing in a laundry basket while i was busy in the kitchen. When I took a break he was busy crawling/skootching all around the livingroom. He got himself over to the basket and used it to pull up onto his knees! I thought that was a huge accomplishment and called the older kids to come see. He grinned at everyone's attention, then went back to banging his toy car on the bottom of the basket (it was up-side-down). The car got away from him, just out of his reach, and danged if he didn't stand right up and grab it!!!!! He stood there, supported by that flimsy plastic basket like he'd been doing it forever. When his legs got tired, instead of yelling for help as babies often do when they stand for the first time, he just lowered himself back down and rolled over on his back. I'm blown away. 6 months old seems too young to be doing that!

Thank you CC... Oh my your beautiful little guy is growing so fast. Enjoy, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.

xoxoxo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 11:34 PM | Locked

CC ,Rickets is a vitamin deficiency usually Vit D but also some minerals .Magnesium ,Phosphate usually leads to softening of the bones and pain.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,542
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 6:21 AM | Locked

chocake2:
on his having rickets as a child

That was what I thought of in regards to Sukochi's comment of what her Grandma thought.  Back in the day many older people thought bowed legs were because the child walked too early. Not knowing that there was a vitamin and mineral deficiency that actually caused it.    When we know better, we do better.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 6:50 AM | Locked

Very cool Wendy. 

CC, I love reading about Sprout.  I can just see him at the basket and his grins.  Makes me smile.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 7:08 AM | Locked

Wendy :

afternoon everyone

Just wanted to share last night with you.  It was quilt night for patches and most of us work for the school districts in our area.  We didn't have to be up at the crack of dawn this morning so we had an almost all nighter at the church last night.  We started at four in the afternoon, and finished up a 1:30 this morning. Here is 2 pics and a video of the fun time I had last night.  This past year I bought the mid arm that you see and the Flynn frame.  This is the first time using the Flynn frame. I just wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Vzvne_z-o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Happy sewing everyone

Wendy I did go watch the video ,on you -Tube, Looks Like yo were enjoying this. I may have to give this a second look.  since I can't afford a long arm  Most of my quilts are queen size or smaller.  Look fun. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:23 AM | Locked

chocake2:
DH has very bowed legs. He walked young but his momma blaims his deformity (?) on his having rickets as a child. Heck, I don't even know what rickets are! something like lice perhaps??

I think I remember hearing about rickets in elementary school when we studied nutrition.  Wasn't that what early sailors got from lack of fruit on long voyages?  Of course, they probably got lice then, too!  LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:30 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

chocake2:
DH has very bowed legs. He walked young but his momma blaims his deformity (?) on his having rickets as a child. Heck, I don't even know what rickets are! something like lice perhaps??

I think I remember hearing about rickets in elementary school when we studied nutrition.  Wasn't that what early sailors got from lack of fruit on long voyages?  Of course, they probably got lice then, too!  LOL

I believe that was scurvy...from lack of Vitamin C... why oranges and lemons became very important cargo on sailing ships.  That's also why pickles were important to the farmers during those long, hard mid-west winters (they couldn't get oranges and lemons)!

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 12:00 PM | Locked

Hope everyone is having a fun Thanksgiving Day.  Don't eat too much. I know for certain that I won't.

We are soon to travel over the mountain and thru the woods (literally), to DB's for dinner.  DSIL finally sent us the directions, to the lake house, this morning. Jim said he doesn't want to leave till 3. I told him, as dinner is scheduled for 5, that wouldn't do. He said "Sure it will. That way, we can eat fast and be on our way at 6:30".  Knowing his DSIL, we will be lucky if we sit down at 6:30.  We had them here, for Christmas Eve dinner once. Their DD is allergic to cats and they weren't  here long. They sat on the screened in porch to eat. I felt terrible, but no one had told us about the allergy.

Y'all have a blessed day. Think of all we have to be thankful for in our lives. See you on the other side. Yum! 

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 2:46 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Don't eat too much.

How could you say such a thing on Thanksgiving?? LOL I fully intend to do just that, and I am gonna enjoy every bite!!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 4:40 PM | Locked

Well Thanksgiving dinner is history.  We all waddled away from the table.  My weight loss plan got seriously broken today.  Oh - you mean pumpkin pie doesn't count as a vegetable???  Dot's fried turkey was a success once again.  She is spoiling my two sons.  :o)  She brought each of them a container of brownies so they wouldn't "fight" over them like they usually do. David Jr called home and told his Mom that the turkey dinner he had didn't compare to the ones we have here every year.  :o)  Even the dogs got some turkey and gravy mixed in with their kibble.  The young Lab from next door "ate" Dot's big 5 gallon oil container so we had to figure out a way for her to get the oil home still in the cooker.  The boys duck taped the lid on and wedged it between the front and back seats so it wouldn't tip over on her way home.  She can get another 5 gallon container from work.  

I have to be to work about 7:30 tomorrow.  The shop is open 8 - 4 tomorrow.  They are selling a bunch of floor sample quilts and things plus lots of fabric marked way down.   It will be all hands on deck.  

I gave Dot her Christmas present - a table runner plus some smelly stuff from Bath and Body works.  She really liked the table runner.  Last year I gave her placemats. Lynn liked the table runner too, so since I have plenty of the fabric left, I might whip one up for her.  Still working on Celeste's knitting tote.  Yesterday I finished the "bug" quilt top for Project Linus.  It will have to wait a while to get sandwiched and quilted.  The house needs to be decorated for the holidays first.  I usually do it the weekend of Thanksgiving but having to work Fri. and Sat. sorta puts a wrench in that. 

Our weather has been absolutely gorgeous.  It even got up into the 70's this week.  But all good things must end --- cold front headed our way.

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving --- and took note of the real meaning of the day.  We all have so much to be thankful for.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:00 PM | Locked

Good to hear from you, Marge.  I'm not surprised that you have to work tomorrow.  Luckily your shop isn't opening at some God-awful hour.  I am not going to tell Calley that Mac and Autumn feasted on turkey and gravy with their kibble.  Enjoy the last of your nice weather.  We watched the cold front move in today - it was still a comfortable 50 degrees when we headed out for the morning dog walk.  By noon, the temp dropped 20 degrees, the wind came up, and now we have an inch of snow on the ground.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:05 PM | Locked

I know all about Minnesota winters even though I lived in Chicago and southwestern Michigan.  I hope you have your snowblower all serviced and ready to go.  I don't think we are going to have as mild a winter this year as we did last. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:06 PM | Locked

David Jr is coming home for Christmas!!!!!  His Mom thinks he is arriving on Christmas Eve but he is really going to be getting here on the 21st.  David Sr. has lined up Dave and I to help get him from the airport to surprise Celeste. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,292
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:52 PM | Locked

From Mayo Clinic

Signs and symptoms of rickets may include:

• Delayed growth
  • Pain in the spine, pelvis and legs
  • Muscle weakness

Because rickets softens the growth plates at the ends of a child's bones, it can cause skeletal deformities such as:

• Bowed legs
  • Abnormally curved spine
  • Thickened wrists and ankles
  • Breastbone projection

According to The Free Dictionary
Scurvy is a condition caused by a lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in the diet. Signs of scurvy include tiredness, muscle weakness, joint and muscle aches, a rash on the legs, and bleeding gums. In the past, scurvy was common among sailors and other people deprived of fresh fruits and vegetables for long periods of time.

Back as kid growing up we had a neighbor who had rickets as a young child to the point of becoming bedridden. There may have been other health issues but I am not aware what they were.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Page 233 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 231 232 233 234 235 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use