Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 191 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 189 190 191 192 193 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,150
Karla replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:45 PM | Locked

nantenn:

Karla,

if interested I have an EQ7, I attempted to use it and did not like it. All the parts re there and book looks like new.  

Nm_tn@yahoo.com

let me know.

thanks

Nan

Cleveland, TN

I'm interested, but will probably have to wait until after the 1st...I've spent way too much these last couple of months.  Let me know how much you want for it, and I'll see if I can come up with that this month.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,150
Karla replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:52 PM | Locked

I did a little work on my Marine Corps quilt today...I made 80 3-1/2" squares using triangles.  That is just enough to put them together and add another row to this quilt.  I've got 2-1/2 blocks made out of them, so after the grandkids TaeKwonDo class tonight, I might get this row done and added to the quilt.  Then I'll only have 12 more blocks to make and the borders.  I feel like I'm getting no where with this quilt.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:41 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

What am I up to today?  ...resolving credit card problems.

You are lucky to be able to get your new card so fast.  We had a similar thing happen this week, but it will be Monday at the earliest before our new cards arrive.  Someone got our number and had fun all over the internet - dating services, games, perfume, etc. etc. etc..  Our credit card company noticed the unusual activity and called immediately.  We hadn't used our card since last Friday, so it was easy to determine that everything after then was not ours!  It was probably something the same like the security  code that alerted them.  Some quilt shops have not been using the security code and date and are now calling for it.  They will have to change their billing to include security codes and expiration dates.   More security helps.  I think the person responsible for ours was at the service station where we bought diesel fuel on Friday.  They limit at $100 and we needed more.  I think when Rich reinserted the card the second time they were able to read it inside.  I don't trust them there.  Didn't they call you when they cancelled your card?  Ours calls whenever our card is used in a strange place like Georgia when our grandson was married and Texas when we bought a treadmill for Rich - big expense a long way from home. I am also going to have to change card numbers at Amazon and a few other places.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 528
Points 10,820
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:04 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

What am I up to today?  ...resolving credit card problems.  I was at the small local grocery store yesterday when my credit card was rejected.  I called Wells Fargo when I got home, and the card had been stopped due to suspicious activity.  Someone had been attempting to use our number, but they didn't have the expiration date or security code correct, so that triggered the alarm.  Wells Fargo was really good about it and had our new cards to us in 24 hours, but now I have to figure out which companies have been doing automatic billing to the old card (Amazon Kindle, for one) and get them notified of the change.

Gee, with us being fairly new to this small town, I hope the credit card rejection news doesn't make its way to everyone around...   ;-)

Both my boyfriend and I had the same problem recently. We suspect it had something to do with Amazon. My card number was attempted to use by someone wanting to purchase from "Indonesian Cupid" and the credit card company rejected the payment. So I was given a new credit card number. I always use one of those "Shop Safe" numbers now for internet purchases. I can limit the amount and the time on them. Good luck!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,038
Points 108,680
chocake2 replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:40 PM | Locked

Nancy, we went through the same thing a few months ago. I'm pretty sure my number was taken off an order I made for fabric to finish Sprouts quilt. The credit card company caught it. We had charges for sporting equipment in being sold int he UK, and that alerted them to the issue.

Carol from Pittsm I've never heard of a shop safe number. Could  you please educate a bumpkin?

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,941
Points 234,192
Thea replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:27 PM | Locked

Use Virtual Credit Card Numbers to Shop Safely Online, Keeping in Mind the Downsides

Virtual credit card numbers (or single-use credit cards) offer a layer of protection when shopping online, but many people aren't aware of these services and not all banks offer them. Here are a few tips on safely using a virtual credit card number.

We've mentioned virtual credit cards as a way of thwarting identity thieves, but since then, a few programs like PayPal have shut down their service.Bank of Americard, Citibank and Discover remain the major US institutions that offer virtual numbers, through a company called Orbiscom (you may find smaller or international financial institutions that offer virtual numbers from the company's clients list or from this slashdot thread).

All of these services are designed to protect your real account number from identity thieves by generating a virtual one—usually with a dollar amount and timeframe you set yourself, for those cases when you buy things online from an unfamiliar website or want to set a spending limit. In Bank of America's ShopSafe program, for example, you can set the maximum spending amount to $1 and the virtual number to only be valid for 2 months.

This offers peace of mind and may also help prevent recurring or unwanted charges (I use a ShopSafe virtual card for my iTunes account to help prevent surprise charges from too many toddler app downloads). DailyFinance, however, warns that using a virtual card number comes with some downsides or risks:

• Virtual card numbers can't be used when you need to show a physical card as proof, such as at the car rental or to pick up tickets at a theater.
  • It isn't 100% foolproof: some transactions over the maximum spending limit or the expiration date might still go through.

Definitely pay close attention to your credit card statements, whether you use a virtual credit card number or not, especially when shopping online.

Does your bank offer this service and do you use it? Tell us what you think in the comments.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:45 PM | Locked

gini:

he had to testify once before the grand jury and once today for the bond hearing.   he's been in branson running two hotels.  it is a huge job, trying to keep them full, trying to keep the workers happy and motivated,  catching up on deferred maintainence, paying off bills that should have been paid with the embezzled moneys, collecting money that hasn't been paid.   he had a church that tried to not pay him over $5000 dollars it owed.   he made a sign on  a piece of cardboard,  went and sat on their front steps on a sunday morning  holding up his sign, "your church owes me money" .  they paid him that day.   you've met sam he never shuts up and he's very resourceful.   people pay their overdue bills to get him off their door steps.

Gini,

Well done to Sam, I dont understand why some people think they shouldnt pay, we have friends who own a small campsite and the amount of people they have had who have tried to not pay i would not have believed it (including a policeman) youd think people would know better.

Lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 1:15 AM | Locked

frances, it is amazing what guests steal from the hotels, too.    from bedding  and towels to tv's.   and remotes.   it is hard to keep remotes around.   interestingly, some church groups have been the worst when it comes to stealing.   our veterans groups are the best citizens and guests we see.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:51 AM | Locked

Nancy sorry to hear about your card issues, Had that happen to me twice ,it sucks . It is good your card company caught it though, but they should have called you and let you know.  It really makes me mad that people do this . I have started using Pay pal for everything I buy online  there are some sites that don't use it ,but so far I've been lucky.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:58 AM | Locked

Thea:

it feels like someone drills a hole into my left hip and puts a burning poker in there which sends a lightning bolt of pain every 10 seconds down my leg... today was I think the worst it has been in a long long time... 

So sorry Thea!  Here's hoping that today is better.  <3

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 8:17 AM | Locked

Today or this morning I have a doctors appointment for my yearly  check -up ,,oh joy, Have to do this to get new meds script,  I think I'll do okay, he may get on me for my weight ,LOL  Hard to exercise when the legs and back do not cooperate. then I'm home to finish up my little projects I'm working on. It suppose to be a really nice day today, and Sat and then the bottom falls out for a few days.

I hope everyone has a great day. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 8:52 AM | Locked

Good luck at your appointment today!  You're lucky to only have to go once a year - I know that doesn't make it any better though.  Hang in there.

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144
Spudgrandma replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:14 AM | Locked

Well, my intention is to get the labels done for my last 4 grandkid's quilts and, hopefully, cut out the MQ7.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,038
Points 108,680
chocake2 replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:27 AM | Locked

Oh Sure Barbara, Brag on your nice weather.  :P

We're having a nice blizzard. The wind is holding steady at 27mph. and current temps are close to zero. When I got up this morning i could just see the top of the neighbors house and tree. Now the wind has let up a bit and I can see the whole house for a bit. The drift on the patio is over the fence and opening the door is an adventure. The kids are rushing to take care of the fowl before the wind kicks back up and the temps continue to plumet. The chicken coop has a wee gap under the eves and it's just big enough for the sparrows to squeeze in and get warm. I'm sure they'll help eat the scratch too! I told the kids to double their feed.

Thankfully the boys didn't have school today (P/T conferences) so I didn't have to get them out the door. DD's school called and said the bus wasn't running for our half of the county. I replied that the Mommy bus was stuck in the driveway and wasn't running either. I'm not about to try to drive her to school! Dh said his normal 20 min commute took him an hour this morning and the first 13 miles of that were driving blind. He'd hoped to catch up on paperwork today but I suspect instead he'll be out pulling people out of the ditch and treating hypothermia all day. Folks will insist that they have to be out in this weather no matter what. No one considers the guys and gals who have to go out and rescue them when they get themselves into trouble....  Grrr

I tossed the cat out to do his business. He vanished into the snow drift. I suspect he'll get even later.

Hmmm...I think it's a grand day to curl up with a cup of hot cocoa and a quilt magazine. Maybe I'll get a few blocks made today!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 528
Points 10,820
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:39 AM | Locked

Chocake2,

Thea kindly replied already about what a shop safe number is.  I get numbers by going to the web site where I can see my credit card transactions. In their customer service section they have a link to set up the limits on the number.  After doing the shopping on the internet, once you have the total cost of whatever you're purchasing, including taxes and shipping, you can put the amount needed on the card limits, then a credit card number is assigned. Use that number as the credit card number for your purchase. They also have a way to use the number for recurring transactions for things that are charged to your credit card each month. The transactions will show up on your credit card statement under the main number.

Page 191 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 189 190 191 192 193 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use