Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 183 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 181 182 183 184 185 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:21 PM | Locked

Thank you so much Jacy, he does have a one-of-a-kind quilt.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:37 PM | Locked

I would like your attention for a few minutes , please.  Quilted Hugs from Maddie (QHFM ). Wants to ask your assistance. We are contacting counties effected by the hurricane. We want to make quilts for kids. Ages 4 and 11. May use any method. These are to be lap quilts so should be at least42 inches. By minor 48 inches. Or larger. Color  motif, etc are up to you.  

We are contacting other groups also. The more we find can make a quilt for the cause. QHFM is non profit corporation. Any monetary contributions will be used on shipping quilts, or on notions to finish quilts. 

So if you want to help the kids..give a Quilted Hug, please contact Maddie so we can figure the best plan for success.

Reach use thru Facebook or P.O. BOX 2461. Cleveland, TN 37320 

Thank you for your time!

Nan & Maddie

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,690
Points 248,772
Thea replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:44 PM | Locked

gini:

barbara,  i t is supposed to be as wasy to work with as quilters cotton,  it is about $16 a yard.  i haven't seen it on sale yet.   keep it in mind for when you're ready. 

Barbara - I bought the cotton sateen for Echo's dress from a store in NYC - it was only 9.99 a yard and is 100% cotton.  Made in Italy is called Pima Cotton Sateen.  If you are interested, I'll give you the web address.  It was very easy to work with and the price was right.  I did a lot of shopping around when I was searching for this fabric and did find it a lot at the price Gini quotes but you can find it for less as I did.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 3:43 PM | Locked

Spudgrandma:

Marie:
Spud, David's Shark Quilt is amazing!

Thanks Marie, I sure hope he likes it.

He better like it!  He really challenged you with this one and you made a quilt he should cherish.  ONE focal fabric should be all - maybe 2, but not as many as he picked!!!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:02 PM | Locked

thea, radiance is a different product, because it is nearly 50% silk, it reflects the light beautifully, and the hand feel is incredible.  i couldn't stop petting it.  the silk causes the light to act different and you get that two-color effect when you look at it from different directions. then when you puncture it with your quilting stitches, it is just incredible.   cotton sateen is a great fabric, and i've used it.  it doesn't compare to the radiance.   i'm  just saying that when barbara is ready to step up to do a whole cloth heirloom quality quilt,  which she is getting close to, she might want to look at the radiance.  when you think of all the time that goes into a whole cloth quilt, spending a few bucks more,  per yard,  on the radiance might be an expense that is worth it. 

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:35 PM | Locked

Gini,

I think Missouri Star Quilt Co has some FQ bundles of the fabric you are talking about. And it has been on sale for a while.

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/pre-cut-fabric/fat-quarter-bundles.html

I've have been hesitant to order any because I didn't know how it would work up. I've worked with silk before and nearly went nuts.  But you say this works more like cotton?

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:44 PM | Locked

max, i haven't personally worked with it.   i took a class from the gal who does the stunning crane quilts.  she works with it a lot and says it acts more  like cotton when she's sewing.  the way she described it, is because of how it is woven.   the silk is more on one side and the cotton threads more on what would be the back side.  so one side is duller, but she claims it handles like cotton. 

maybe i'll get some to try out.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:50 PM | Locked

she does heavy thread painting on this fabric so it must hold up well for that.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:07 PM | Locked

So, had the post op. Am fine. But, it will take up to 6 weeks more before my stomach opening is as large as the opening of the esophagus into the stomach. The esophagus is very wide at this point but the incision area is not wide at all, so the food that goes in drips intot he stomach. My current spasms are due to too much being in the esophagus when I lay down. I takes me a bout 2/3 gall of water to take all my meds (in pill form) and I get so funn of water, and air, that I spit up a mixture of saliva and air. White and foamy. Once the esophagus is clear of anything, it stops the backwash. He said I should be OK to eat Thanksgiving dinner, just not as much as everyone else. And, will still probably not be able to handle dry foods. Made baked potato for supper. It was real dry, and even with heaps of margarine and sour cream, I could not swallow it.  Also, it is helpful if I do not drink with food. I don't care. This surgery has changed my life so so many great ways. He siad that is why he loves doing this surgery. IT changes people's lives for the better.

Thea, would love the pork chop recipe. I will be able to eat food one day.

I don't care what they are made from. Whole Cloth quilts are amazing.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:43 PM | Locked

i just had the bestest of best news today. our  youngest daughter is going to have a baby.  last i heard it wasn't in the cards,  but  they changed their minds.  doing the happy dance tonight.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:04 PM | Locked

gini:

i just had the bestest of best news today. our  youngest daughter is going to have a baby.  last i heard it wasn't in the cards,  but  they changed their minds.  doing the happy dance tonight.

Congrats grandma... woo hoo!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:23 PM | Locked

Congrats Gini on the future addition to your family. How many Grandchildren does this make for you? 

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:27 PM | Locked

this will be 7

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 40,955
ls2116 replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:34 PM | Locked

I'll ad this to favorites , At last I'm finding some info.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:38 PM | Locked

Woo Hoo Gini.   I know that you are walking on air.   When is this little one supposed to make an appearance.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 183 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 181 182 183 184 185 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use