Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 182 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 180 181 182 183 184 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604
Spudgrandma replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:03 AM | Locked

Frances:
Spud - fab quilt even though youve had problems with it, its turned out lovely.

Thank you Frances...

Patti:

Can't postpone it anymore.  Got to go into work.  Might have jury duty tomorrow.

That darn work sure does get in the way of what we would really like to do Patti, but I think sometimes I accomplished more, at home, when I was working. :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:14 AM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Barbara, have you head from Thea? I know you have talked to her on the phone from time to time.

thank you for thinking of my Sukochi, I am doing okay - Have had a stomach bug and headache for 3 days running now.  With my compomised immune system it is a hard season for me to go through without getting sick.  I felt so miserable yesterday i didn't go to church.  That is always a sad day for me but didn't want to take the chance as bad as I was feeling that I would run into some more germs running around... and now I heard they are giving a live vaccine for the shingles - so will not be going out for a while again.  I wish so much they would give the dead vaccines then I don't have to worry as much but with those live ones I am always susceptible to getting it... I hate this season of flu shots... but am glad for all those that are able to take advantage of them and keep from getting sick.

My head has been splitting for 2 days now.  I have been taking sinus meds to help with it... and I need to get the humidifier out and get some water in the air... not sure why the house is so dry right now usually I am emptying the dehumidifier twice a day... but right now battling dry air - which doesn't help me at all.  

As Barbara said, my arthritis is bothering me too... will it never end.  Seems like I might get a few good days and usually Sundays are my best day just cuz I spend it with the Lord.  I did get to watch some really good movies with DH last night - they had the Left Behind movies on one of the channels and we accidentally hit that channel and stayed to watch them.  Surprisingly, DH sat and watched them with me - some good conversations were had - made me smile...

Oh well, enough whining...my stomach is still screaming with my head chiming in... need to get my sinus meds....didn't I just say enough whining...teehee...

I have #2 Sew Spooky almost done - am on the last border - I will do the blanket stitch around the cornerstone stars today and then get the eyes on the bats - get it all sewn together as best I can and get the 2 quilts basted and ready for quilting.  I will finish as much on these 2 quilts as I can before the vanishing thread shows up and I finish Rita's quilt - then am pulling fabrics out of my stash to make a queen 9 patch to send to the folks collecting them for the Sandy people.  I might get a bunch of my scraps out and make a scrappy one...

I do have to get my butt up out of this chair while the pain meds are working and get the housework done for this morning... the floors and the front bathroom won't get cleaned by them selves... 

and last for today...teehee... I got sent a neat recipe for Maple flavored pork chops and just got some pork chops from the commissary and thinking this sounds like a mouth watering recipe to try for dinner - so have to get the pork chops out of the freezer so they thaw... I do not like thawing in the microwave so have to get a move on...

Headache go away!!!  Stomach settle down... it just likes cold liquids right now!  and Arthritis - well we don't have time for you any day but want you to leave for a few hours to give me respite...

quilty hugz and wonderful quilty thoughts for all!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:17 AM | Locked

Thea , you didn't tell me you had been ill , I hope your tummy and headache go away.  You take it easy  ..the floors can wait .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:17 AM | Locked

Frances:
Barbara - We had a quilter in the UK called Amy Emms she only ever made whole cloth quilts, she died a few years back but her work goes on show at quilt shows, everything from big quilts, tea cosys to her daughters wedding dress she used a fabric called Sateen to make them (i believe this is not the same as satin). even though its not something i would do i always look at her work in awe. So well done Barbara its not an easy thing to do and you have done a stunning job.

Frances - you are right - Sateen is a cotton material - a shiny cotton - very pretty for little girls dresses - I use it to make my GD dresses for holidays... easy to work with but looks like satin.  It is the material I made Echo's wedding flower girl dress from.  

Barbara does do beautiful work - it is so hard for me to believe that she is a relatively new quilter as she has taken to it like a bird dog takes to water.  She is an inspiration to me.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:19 AM | Locked

Spudgrandma:

Got my hubby to help me take some pictures of quilts... Here is David's Shark quilt. He picked out the panels, the shark fab, the map fab, and the fish in the middle of the stars. I designed, pieced and quilted it - it took forever to figure out what to do with all the fabric he wanted. After this experience, I told the others they could pick out one focal fabric and i would do the rest, much easier. :)

Spud, this quilt turned out wonderfully, that was a tricky combo of fabrics he picked out and you did a great job of designing a quilt that would work with them. And it does work beautifully, he has a one of a kind quilt. Great Job!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,784
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:14 AM | Locked

somebody is now making a sateen that is 20% silk.  it has the most wonderful sheen for whole cloth quilts.   i forgot about this barbara,  since you are our whole cloth queen, you might be interested.  i'll go hunt it down.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:21 AM | Locked

Thea, great to hear from you. Don't like the reason you ere so quiet. I pray you will be feeling so much bette,r by the end of this day.

Silly girl, you don't just spend Sunday wth the Lord. He is always with you. I talk to Him constantly. I suspect he, sometimes, turns off His communication on my side!! I know Jim does. 8-]

Doesn't surprise me that you are still working so hard at your quilts.A nd, of course, worrying about those floors, that I would imagine we could eat off right now! Settle down. Those floors won't be going anywhere. And, they can not complain!

Have a really great day. Think positive.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,784
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:24 AM | Locked

ok, so i was wrong again.  it is 55%/45% cotton/silk.  as i remember it has a silky sheen on one side and more of a cottony look on the other side.   it is radiance by robert kauffman.   one of the gals that taught our guild a class, the cranes,  uses this a lot in her quilts.   she doesn't use it for piecing.  it is pretty expensive.  but, whereever shw has large expanses of fabric she will choose this as the background.  it is a wonderful fabric, even quilted it retains a lovely hand feel.   doggone, i can't remember the quilter's name.  phooey on my rememberer.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 624
Points 9,310
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:42 AM | Locked

Nantenn, so glad to hear you're getting shelter dogs.  They're awesome.  I hate those ASPCA commercials with the sad music over damaged animals.  They are not all so negelected and abused.  A lot of shelter animals are lost escapees, or have been given up for any number of reasons from homes that can no longer care for them.  It also kills me to see my very own neighbor with a new Yorkie puppy (though he is very cute), that was bought from a pet store (they only ever get their dogs from mills).  And the saddest thing about that is they paid over $2,000.00 (yeah, that's right) for him.  Our dogs (over 8mo) are only $295.00 and they're already fixed and up to date on shots and have any medical issues addressed (when possible).  Anyway....I've always thought it would be cute to name a litter of puppies Brick, Stone, Rock, Woody, but I do lite Biscuit, maybe with Butter (or Jelly).  Best of luck with them.

Maggie 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:41 PM | Locked

gini:

ok, so i was wrong again.  it is 55%/45% cotton/silk.  as i remember it has a silky sheen on one side and more of a cottony look on the other side.   it is radiance by robert kauffman.   one of the gals that taught our guild a class, the cranes,  uses this a lot in her quilts.   she doesn't use it for piecing.  it is pretty expensive.  but, whereever shw has large expanses of fabric she will choose this as the background.  it is a wonderful fabric, even quilted it retains a lovely hand feel.   doggone, i can't remember the quilter's name.  phooey on my rememberer.

Gini,

You are a wealth of information, i am too but mines all useless information.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:13 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Silly girl, you don't just spend Sunday wth the Lord. He is always with you. I talk to Him constantly. I suspect he, sometimes, turns off His communication on my side!! I know Jim does. 8-]

Sukochi, guess I should have been more specific...teehee.. I start every day with the Lord - we have a nice chat as I am getting up and figuring out what I am going to do for the day... What I should have said was My DH spent the day with me and the Lord.  He normally takes off if I put a religious based movie in - but this time he sat and watched 3 of them with me.  I own the first 2 Left Behind movies but didn't know there was a third one - I have read all the Left Behind books too - this type of book makes you really wonder about life and what we are doing... I have another series by a female author that are very good too.  

The kitchen floor did not get done today... oh well... it was done last night and tomorrow will be soon enough to steam clean it and polish it again.  I got to talking on the phone today with my DDIL and we talked and talked - she was in a funk when we started and laughing when we hung up - I told her once a long time ago that when I got upset with Jay I didn't complain to my Mom or Dad as they would just totally be on my side and hold it against him as they never got to see him and would just remember the times I had complained about him.  So I would call his Mom and talk to her - and she would be on my side but also on her son's side and she helped me immensely understand my DH and she didn't hold anything against him as he was her son and she loved him unconditionally... So my DDIL calls me when she has something to complain about about my son and I listen and talk to her and sometimes I talk to him later to give him the woman's side - especially now that she has hormones racing through her body - and sometimes I talk to his Dad and have his Dad talk to him and sometimes I just get my DDIL to see my son's side of it and we work it out together - life is easier for both of them.

And today was one of those days - nothing to talk to son about but just some woman talk - those things that drive us nuts about our DH's but stuff that we can look the other way on and not have it fester in our thoughts.  

I prayed after I got off that I helped her in the ways that were needed and hope that when DS comes home that she smiles at him and is in a better mood.  

I am looking forward to living near them so that I can be more help then just on the phone.... I feel that in the years to come right now families need to stay together more and help each other out as much as we can.  I am so happy that DH decided that we would move up there.  I wish we were able to do it right now but have to get some things in order first...and hopefully 2 years will be long enough to do that.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:14 PM | Locked

Gini ,thanks but I've never really done any sewing with this type of fabric. I had a terrible time when I had to use linen on the houses that I made back in Dec. I am sure it would be a beautiful quilt using this fabric ,I'm just not sure I'm readly to try it yet.  esp.if its expensive. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:15 PM | Locked

thanks Maggie...I just thought I do really like Bizkit and Butterboy or should I spell biscuit  correctly?

Nan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:18 PM | Locked

Barbara:

Thea , you didn't tell me you had been ill , I hope your tummy and headache go away.  You take it easy  ..the floors can wait .

Barbara - I am sorry that I didn't say anything - thought I had - but then I hate whining all the time.  It is hard to constantly say how sick one is day after day... I am blessed though that I am able to stay home and do not have to work - I feel so bad for those who are like me and have to get up each day and go to work.  Maybe it would be better if I did - but I think not as I know there would be more days then not that I would be picking up that phone and saying I couldn't make it.  guess that is why they label me unemployable.  I have a 24 hour window to get done what I do now - if an employer would let me arbitrarily pick the hours in a 24 hour window that I could do my job - I probably could do it.  I have thought about those computer jobs - but then there are days when playing on line for more then 10 minutes is a chore... 

Argh!!! I am not whining anymore today... Quilty hugz to all!!!

My headache will get better and my stomach will behave itself once this virus works its way through my system... I don't need to eat....teeheee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,784
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:21 PM | Locked

barbara,  i t is supposed to be as wasy to work with as quilters cotton,  it is about $16 a yard.  i haven't seen it on sale yet.   keep it in mind for when you're ready. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Page 182 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 180 181 182 183 184 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use