Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 169 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 167 168 169 170 171 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:38 AM | Locked

Sukochi,    A satin stitch is nothing more than a zig-zag with short length and longer width.  At least that's what I've done in the past with other machines.  Check it out.    Hope you're feeling better very soon.

Huggs, Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,108
Points 109,585
chocake2 replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:43 AM | Locked

OOh! Caffiene! Bless me, I needed that first sip of coffee this morning! :)

Got the stove cranked up to take the chill off this morning, altho it's really not that cold (mid-30's).

Weird... there must be an epidemic of birdie snatchers around here! Jenni caught a sparrow the other day. She brought it in all covered with drool and completely un-hurt as far as I could tell. The poor think was in shock. 

TOG, I'm with  the other gals here. If your sister is having memory issues, she needs to see her regular doc ASAP and get a more complete check-up after her accident. Head injuries are funny things - nothing to mess around with.   Prayers going up for her.

DH has taken the night off so he can stay home and enjoy the 'holiday' with the kids. We'll join the boys for their school party, and take them to t-or-t the boss and co before we come home to "hack  up Jack," gobble supper, and hit the streets for the evenings fun. I need to make a big batch of merangue bones for his co-workers.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 15
Points 585
thatoneguy replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 10:15 AM | Locked

yep, she went to the emergency room and had a full batery of test done. they said that a few memory blips is ok but if it gets any worse we need to bring her back in for more tests. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,108
Points 109,585
chocake2 replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 10:25 AM | Locked

Sukochi, satin stitch is just a really close zig-zag. Shorten your stich length and widen your side-to side stitch. I've gotten really interesting effects by using decorative threads when I finish the edges of art quilts that way. Try couching pretty ribbons or yarn along the edge with a varigated thread and a wide zig-zag if you can't get th satin stitch to work.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,129
Points 14,595
Dawn replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 10:41 AM | Locked

Thatoneguy,  so very sorry you DD was in an accident!  But glad she is mostly ok.  Will be praying she recovers fast!

I am back to being pretty sick w/this cold.  When I cough my chest/ribs hurt.  If not better tomorrow will call the dr.  Tired of feeling sick!  Have too much quilting to do!  Just as I get some more ideas/patterns I get a cold?!  Dag Nab It!  Ok, time for some more beef bouillion water and rest...  Everyone have a fantastic day!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,129
Points 14,595
Dawn replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 10:51 AM | Locked

Thatoneguy, sorry, DS not DD.  Still not good!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,108
Points 109,585
chocake2 replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:02 AM | Locked

Here's the recipe for the merangue bones I'm making today. The one big drawback to them is the long cooking time. As you can imagine, I get a lot of use out of this recipe. The school mascot is a Bulldog, so I make doggy bones for school functions, and  of course, bones are a popular theme at the dinosaur museum where I work... http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Meringue-Bones 

I do recommend adding a little flavoring to the batter, and let them cool completley before you peal them off the parchment.  Oh, and you can also make ghosts just by piping puddles instead of bone shapes. Use mini choc chips for the eyes.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,334
Points 241,792
Thea replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:21 AM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
I wanted to have a satin stitch all around the edge, but looked all through my sewing manual, and at the illistrations of the various stitcies (60) and could not locate a satin stitch anwwhere.  Any ideas?

Satin stitch - use your zig zag and reduce the length size down to about .5 sometimes smaller - I usually set the width to be about a 3 or 3.5 - but the way you set it is what you want the width to be - it should catch both sides with about 2 threads inside the piece you are holding down and just catching the underpiece... for postcards - I would use a water soluble and put the post card on top of it - then you can do the stitch without worrying about going off the edge - when you wash the water soluble away it will hold the post card edge just fine.

I have done this before where I have gone over the edge of a piece at a 3 and then gone back over it at a 3.5 to make sure it looks nice and all the space is covered by thread.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,354
Points 174,688
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:52 AM | Locked

TOG, glad she went for tests, one never knows what could happen.  Prayers going up for her full recovery.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:55 AM | Locked

Thanks for the help witht he satin stitch, everyone. And, I like CC idea of the robbin along the edge. I think it was ribbon. Not doing clear reading right now, Valium on board. need a nap.

Thes a question, you mentioned what I think is water disolving thread? Si that right? Well, where do you get that? If, that is what you are talking about.

That's it, sllep is overtaking me..........

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,354
Points 174,688
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 12:01 PM | Locked

Thanks for the recipe CC, sent it off to my DD to make for her Teddie boy.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,129
Points 14,595
Dawn replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:28 PM | Locked

T.O.G.  Glad she went to the hospital for tests.  Will keep praying for her!!!

I am thinking I will be going to the Dr.  tomorrow, chest is really hurting.  Getting so sick of the taste of cough drops.  Ok, will stop whining.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:36 PM | Locked

TOG, glad to know your sister got good care. 

Took a load of garbage to the dump today.  Now is my play time.  Going to try and make some Kimekomi ball ornaments.  If I am successful, I will post a picture.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 6:43 PM | Locked

T1G  i'm glad your sister is going to be ok.

i went in monday and got my DPT shot.   our area constantly has whooping cough outbreaks, and i don't want my little charges to get it from me.     my arm has an enormous sore lump now.  i'm trying not to whine too much to sam about it, because he had his last week, but dang, it hurts.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,334
Points 241,792
Thea replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 8:04 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
hes a question, you mentioned what I think is water disolving thread? Si that right? Well, where do you get that? If, that is what you are talking about.

No Sukochi, I mentioned water soluble stabilizer to put on the back to stabilize your work while you satin stitch the edges...

Barbara mentions water soluble thread for doing trapunto in her quilting... you buy it at JoAnn's , Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart maybe, Michael's, Keepsake Quilting or most LQSs...

Any other questions...teehee

I answer to almost anything - I think you meant me when you typed Thes - although I prefer the A on the end I do answer to almost anything... even when called late for dinner...teehee...

Ghosties and Ghoulies have been treading on my doorstep all night long - we are so unused to kids stopping here - luckily I had a bag of Halloween Taffy... told Jay if 5 more stopped he would be on his way to the store - but found some jelly belly's and some candy sticks - them are good... hate to give out my jelly bellys - love them...teehee but it is worth it - 

Hate to see the Grim Reaper and the big cat go away tomorrow but Tom Turkey is scared of them and he wants to come out and play tomorrow...teehee

Page 169 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 167 168 169 170 171 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use