Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 137 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 135 136 137 138 139 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 2:50 PM | Locked

Aloha Everyone, I used to be a regular but I've been gone for some time now. My full time job got in the way. I really need some help though. I do quilts for children that are receiving homes through Habitat for Humanity. I have committed to a quilt for a 12 year old girl who wants a blue Harry Poter quilt. Fool that I am, my first clue should have come when NO ONE from my 50 member quilt guild volunteered for this one, ever one for the underdog, my hand shot up. I have been looking for Harry Potter fabric everywhere. I've seen some on ebay but with my job I can never seem to be available when the bidding ends. I just returned from a trip to Southern California where I searched fabric stores from Thousand oaks to San Diego, to no avail. Is there anyone out there that may be sitting on a panel or something that would be willing to sell it to me?? I really don't want to let this child down. Please, help me if you can or if you know a source, point me in their direction. Thank you so much!! Deb

Deb

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 3:08 PM | Locked

chocake2:
What do ya think? Are they Too tacky??

Sorry this is so late, but I love your untacky bobbles.  Everything you make is wonderful!  - wish I could do that.  When we were kids over 60 years ago, we used to play with bending glass and blowing glass bubbles with glass tubing my father brought from work.  We used a bunsen burner to heat the glass.  Not as good as what you use, but it did heat the glass enough to play with it.  I was probably 10 at the time.  We also enameled copper in a small kiln that he made.  This was a small sideline to my mother's ceramics business.

I hope this posts - most posts I have tried this last week have been devoured by the site (or lack of) and I have gotten the "SORRY" message too often.  I do most reading in email, because that survives when the site is down.  By the post time in email I can tell if the site is temporarily working or not.  If there is a big space between the last post and the current time, I just read the email.  Sometimes pictures come through and other times they don't.  Yahoo has had it's problems also, but not so often.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 0
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,128
Points 14,575
Dawn replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 3:12 PM | Locked

Thanks Thea!  Yes, they are hard to discipline cause they are so cute, but I do anyway!  :-)  Only bad thing is that I think I have caught a cold.  But the kids are great and doing well.  The oldest goes back to school tomorrow and the funeral is on Thurs.  So, I am here by myself w/the 3 of them.  I will head up on Thurs for the funeral then hubby and I will drive home.  He is coming to the funeral w/DD and her family.  Well, better go check on DGS1, he is out playing w/a friend.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 3:14 PM | Locked

chocake2:

Love them - I am sure they will cheer her up -  wrote a long post but got this message when I posted:

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!
Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

Hope a shorter message will fly not crash!!!  I can't  seem to post this week.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 3:19 PM | Locked

chocake2:

They are perfect.  Hope this posts - 2 previous tries yielded:

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!
Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

I must be the site jinx, because I have not been able to post most of the week.  I think only one post was not eaten by the site!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 3:36 PM | Locked

So much for the "SORRY" notice,  I see all my posts did go through - I got the message in the above post all 3 times, so assumed I was slapped in the face again.  I guess I will look for the post in the future to prevent repeats.  I see multiple re-worded posts from others, so don't feel that I am the only Jinx on the site!.  Will continue reading posts since Wednesday now.  I gave up after trying since Monday to get on.  Got on a few times, tried to post, then got booted completely off.  This time I am able to get back using my back button after posting.  At least SOMETHING is working.  Need to get back to pinning quilts - have nearly 3 done ready for the machine.  Then bindings, washing, pictures, then adding to the growing pile for the nursing home.

Maybe this will post even if I get that notice again - takes 3 minutes to show up!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:26 PM | Locked

Spudgrandma:

Well, it looks like you had a great time Debbie-do. What a haul. BTW, I do not like thimbles either but I've had one of these for a few years and really like it. It is the only one I've ever been able to use.

Debbie-do and Spud, maybe I will have to go thimble shopping again.  I am a thimble-hater, but my finger suffers when the callus gets dry and splits.  Then the needle has the magic of finding the crack EVERY TIME.  I do a lot of hand sewing because we spend so much time in the truck.  My solution so far has been clear nail polish on the fingers that suffer the worst damage.  I need to get used to using one.  I hope I can find one of these somewhere online.  Debbie, thanks for showing the package.  Love your fabrics.  The only batiks I ever get are in scrap bags I find online.  They are too expensive for me, but I love them.

Spud, I haven't had chance with the posting problem on the site to welcome you back and congratulate you on your check-up. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,108
Points 109,585
chocake2 replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:59 PM | Locked

Thank you, Marsha.

Funny...I seem to be the one recieving the multiple replies to my posts. Is it just me, or does it happen to every reply with a quote box??

Rather then fighting to bring up another text box, I'll continue on a different subject from here:

Marsha, I'm not so sure my torch is all that different from your bunsen burner. I just burn straight propane. (Someday I'd like to have a duel fuel system, but that'll wait til I am rich).  I am using soft glass... I think most tubing is made with Pyrex (borosilicate), or "Hard" glass.  To tell the truth, I'm really not sure.

Been working on Sprout's Halloween costume today. It's about 3/4 done and I am quittin' before I start making boo-boos and end up un-sewing things. I feel last nights' lack of sleep sneaking up on me.  *yawn* I will say that I am pleased with what I have gotten done so far. Knock on wood that the rest comes out as well.

The friend who asked me to make her quilt for her came by today so I showed her what I've done so far. She seemed generally dis-interested.  ...  :-[  ...  She did help herself to a few Halloween beads. Not sure what she plans to do with them, but I guess they made her happy so that's good enough. :)

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:09 PM | Locked

Debbie:
Please, help me if you can or if you know a source, point me in their direction. Thank you so much!! Deb

Debbie, The Paper Piecing group did a HP quilt and it was fabulous - if the pattern is still available that might be an option. Paper Piecing

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Points 1,570
stitcheraz replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:11 PM | Locked

I'm a thimble-hater, too.  Have you tried a thin strip of moleskin (from the pharmacy in grocery store sold for covering/preventing blisters and no moles are involved) on the "sweet spot"?  I tried the commercially produced dots, but the glue didn't last long enough.  You can cut just the size piece of moleskin you want.  It's one piece per sewing session, not as good as a thimble, but you can experiment with size and shape and get lots from a package.  I have adhesive allergies, but haven't had an issue with this one.  Good luck.

stitcheraz

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:13 PM | Locked

Marsha-SM:
Spud, I haven't had chance with the posting problem on the site to welcome you back and congratulate you on your check-up. 

Thanks Marsha. I hope you can find one of the thimbles, I cannot remember where I got mine but it was online.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:16 PM | Locked

Hi all besides trying to get the laundry finsihed today ,I worked on one of my PP compass blocks today . I'm please how it came out even with all the little poeces it had , was not to hard.We only have 2 more months and then I can start putting them together .. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,726
Points 66,520
Bonita replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:33 PM | Locked

Wow Barbara, that's just beautiful. Love your 39's fabric.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:33 PM | Locked

Debbie,  I just did a search and found some fabric you may be interested in at  http://www.pricedumper.com/harry+potter+fabric      They had a bunch of it with different designs.   Hope this helps you out.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:38 PM | Locked

Thanks Bonita,  really had fun with this one.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 137 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 135 136 137 138 139 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use