Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 73 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 71 72 73 74 75 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,273
Points 28,840
Agnes replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:58 AM | Locked

Thea:
late last night as he is getting ready to go to bed he informs me - no uniform -

With two boys and working full time in a family business I had a rule that I would do laundry once weekly. Laundry included anything in the hampers--nothing off the floor. DS1 had a quick laundry lesson the day after laundry when he had no clean jeans to wear. He did the laundry. Giving me a wrong answer to the question you asked would have meant DH would be up late doing laundry. In fact, DH was giving me a hard time about something to do with laundry. Both boys were young adults at this time and they were in charge of their own laundry. We were a household with four working adults and I was not "Maid Mary" unless I volunteered. They advised DH to drop the subject or he would be doing his own laundry as well. Yes, I was a tough mama but they have thanked me for it many times.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,273
Points 28,840
Agnes replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:04 AM | Locked

Angele:
You are strong and I'm sure your DH will give you a nudge if you sit and are sad too long.

Angele--He's already given me the nudge. He was a very thoughtful man and even in some of his darkest hours his concern was for me and how I was coping. We have such wonderful memories to draw upon and thus friendship time is a wonderful healer.

Time to head to the machine and continue quilting the Snoopy quilt.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,108
Points 109,585
chocake2 replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:24 AM | Locked

Snoopy quilt?? ya gotta post picks of that Agnes. I love Snoopy!

My magic number for laundry is "8". I figure by the time the kids get that old, they are old enough to understand the concepts needed to do their own washing. DD commented the other day that one of the girls in her class was carrying on about how she didn't have a certain outfit to wear to school because her Mom hadn't washed it. DD replied "so why didn't you do it,  if you knew you were gonna need it??" She said the resulting conversation was pretty interesting. She was shocked by how many of her peers didn't know how to do laundry, and dismayed at how many of them thought it was up to their parents to take care of it for them. I guess more of the guys then girls said they occasionally helped with that chore.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:30 AM | Locked

I hear the couch and a nice nap calling me at this moment.    

I worked all day yesterday climbing up and down on a 20 ft ladder getting my house ready for winter.  Then after I finished the house I worked on the chicken coop making sure they will be toasty warm this winter also

Then I set up some cattle panels by the pig pen to herd my pig in Wed morn off to the butcher she goes,  got to make sure I tell them to save me the fat, so I can render it down for lard and some nice cracklins YUM

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:30 AM | Locked

There is my driveway

This is about a 1/3 the way down from the street.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:34 AM | Locked

Sukochi, you have a beautiful home and yard, like the driveway also

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:13 AM | Locked

Good Morning all,

I've watched some television, made a pot of very spicy hot chili for lunch and now I'm getting ready to head out to the Sewing Loft to start my "Superior University" Class 101 since I got the packet on Saturday. Catch y'all later.

xoxoxo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 12:04 PM | Locked

Sukochi

Beautiful home.  Looks like a nice driveway.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 1:34 PM | Locked

chocake2:
My magic number for laundry is "8". I figure by the time the kids get that old, they are old enough to understand the concepts needed to do their own washing. DD commented the other day that one of the girls in her class was carrying on about how she didn't have a certain outfit to wear to school because her Mom hadn't washed it. DD replied "so why didn't you do it,  if you knew you were gonna need it??" She said the resulting conversation was pretty interesting. She was shocked by how many of her peers didn't know how to do laundry, and dismayed at how many of them thought it was up to their parents to take care of it for them. I guess more of the guys then girls said they occasionally helped with that chore.

It is funny isn't it - IMHO it is the parents responsibility to take care of their children and one of those responsibilities is to teach them how to take care of themselves and to be independent strong young men and women able to tackle the world.  Not to coddle them and do everything for them - to help them when needed but let them stumble a few times on their own to learn how.  

I never expected my kids to do everything but they were taught how to do it so that they didn't have to depend on anyone else to do it... I made good husbands and wives for their spouses and everyone of my kids now thanks me for the knowledge they got here at home on how to care for themselves - this even entailed checking accounts and balancing their own budgets.

I am done for today!  Whew - went to the hair dresser - was going to get my hair permed... hadn't done this in about 25 years - but thought what the hay - make a change - well I got talked out of it - imagine that - lol - Sandy (the owner of the shop) said that with my hair being partially white and partially dirty blond that a perm would not take - that my hair would be limp and if I really wanted a perm she advised to have it colored and then do the perm in a couple weeks... so since I really didn't want to color it at this time I decided - to go with her recommendation of a trim and blow it dry - so instead of spending $100 to get the perm I spent $20 to get it washed / cut and dried...

then I took off to do my errands - bank for money - base to get my script filled (couldn't find my ID so was going to get a new one when we found it stuck to the back of a gum case in my purse - oh my - got my script - left base heading to Walgreens to pick up Mom's meds and some decongestant... then on to the bread store to get muffins for Mom while I am gone - then on to Wally World for Ensure for Mom - sodas for me and Jay - toilet paper - mom goes through a roll a day... never in my life have i bought so much toilet paper - dog food cat food, cat litter, jello puddings(mom) and grapes and bananas - $300 later I was back home... glad now I didn't spend that $100 on a perm... I still have a few dollars...teehee... but am exhausted... I picked up cat litter box 37lbs in Wally World and felt a sharp pain in my chest - shouldn't have done that and new it but had to get these things - so asked and got assistance to put the things in my car...all but the ensure, puddings, and fruit are still in the car waiting for DH to get home from work to bring in...

One set of errands is done... tomorrow get the car's oil changed and cleaned... then to start packing the car... oh my... I am already exhausted...teehee... smiling!!!

I did finish the satin stitching on my blocks and it didn't look as bad as I thought on the backs - the fronts look great... now to trim sash to measure 10.5"... and they are done... need to go in and search my stash for where I put all my winter fabrics and get out my snowman material for my snowman blocks - I think I might take them to Iowa to do while there... 

Oh and I need to take a shower and redo my hair - lol - 93 degrees outside and I did the ladylike perspiring...teehee... so my hair is wet again...lol  I think I end up taking 2 and 3 showers a day... but that hot water feels so good - although today I think I am going to soak in the hot tub first... 

Still smiling and sending out quilty hugz...

Sukochi - very nice driveway and beautiful home.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 1:45 PM | Locked

Agnes:

Thea:
late last night as he is getting ready to go to bed he informs me - no uniform -

With two boys and working full time in a family business I had a rule that I would do laundry once weekly. Laundry included anything in the hampers--nothing off the floor. DS1 had a quick laundry lesson the day after laundry when he had no clean jeans to wear. He did the laundry. Giving me a wrong answer to the question you asked would have meant DH would be up late doing laundry. In fact, DH was giving me a hard time about something to do with laundry. Both boys were young adults at this time and they were in charge of their own laundry. We were a household with four working adults and I was not "Maid Mary" unless I volunteered. They advised DH to drop the subject or he would be doing his own laundry as well. Yes, I was a tough mama but they have thanked me for it many times.

Agnes, not sure when I got soft where DH is concerned but I got to thinking the other day about the work that he does - he has to - and I mean HAS to work 6 days a week - for a year they made them work 10 hour shifts - he is back to 8 hour shifts now but they can not not work Saturdays - they get their vacation but no sick days and they don't get much vacation - so week after week he works 6 out of 7 days - and then comes home and has to help me around here as I can't do half of what I could do just a few years ago - he also takes care of the yard - so lately I have gotten soft...

I used to just do laundry on Saturday - and then I switched it to Mondays - as I seem to have more energy on Monday then any other day of the week and that could be that the only thing I do on Sundays now is go to church - I rest and study about God the rest of the time or try to - I watch football and Nascar too on Sunday but mostly it is a restful day... 

So I told him that I would have done this on Saturday when I asked him but that since this was not an every day thing that I would stay up and do that load of laundry for him and I ended up doing 2 loads as I had to dry and fold his stuff - so while it was drying I put that 2nd load in - and those were towels and whites so I didn't have to worry about folding them right away - so although I whined about doing it for him - I didn't really mind cuz I realize how hard he works and what a pain his company is...

It is the best paying job in this area but they are not nice to their employees and if DH is to take a Saturday off they point him - a normal M-F day is 10 points if you are late - 15 points if you don't show up but call in - 25 points if you don't show up at all - no call in and 25 points for taking a Saturday off no matter what - you get fired when you reach 110 points - you get 1 point for each day you show up on time... so even if he wanted to just work 40 hours a week - if he took those Saturdays off in one month they would fire him... I don't know how they get away with it because I never thought that a company could make overtime a mandatory thing - but they can and do and it is legal... 

So although I didn't like doing it and was mad that he waited till that last minute to tell me and I did whine about it - I didn't really mind doing it this time... I agree with you totally though and when I was working full time I was very strict with this too - My DS learned to do his own laundry and knew if he wanted me to do it it had to be in the laundry room to be done on those Saturdays... he is like that with his kids now - so funny to see him repeat things that I told him growing up that he frowned and whined about... 

Oh I am going on and on...lol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,273
Points 28,840
Agnes replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 2:01 PM | Locked

Thea:
so funny to see him repeat things that I told him growing up that he frowned and whined about... 

Only one of my sons has a child but I hear a lot of things that sound so much like me talking to the kids. They even tell me they are glad I was tough with them. Thea, I know there is a division of labor or give and take necessary in all situations. You were the best judge to decide the best way to handle the situation. It sure sounds like his company pushes the law just to the point of snapping. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,273
Points 28,840
Agnes replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 2:07 PM | Locked

chocake2:
Snoopy quilt?? ya gotta post picks of that Agnes. I love Snoopy!

This the simplest quilt I have ever made so there is nothing all that exciting. I was asked to make this quilt. The lady bought the fabrics and I think she would have been happy with two yardages slapped together and quilted. I will post when done.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 2:19 PM | Locked

Sukochi--it looks like the young folk did a beautiful job cleaning up your yard, flower beds, and woods!  I know you are relieved you don't have to do it yourself.  Pretty driveway!

Tip for quilters who don't want to win the "What Was She Thinking?" award:  do not have two separate projects going at the same time when one has 'Kona White' for its background color and the other has 'Kona Snow' for its background color.     I have finally separated all the parts and pieces (after 500 trips to the front window to hold the pieces in the sunlight to tell them apart!), and Project Snow has been moved to the basement level. Project White remains on the main level. Never shall they meet again.  Maybe I wouldn't have been so upset with myself for mixing them up if I hadn't pieced them with white thread...makes frogging them almost impossible when you're almost blind in one eye and can't see well out of the other!   That's what I've been doing today...that and teaching the cat new cuss words.

Ya'll have a wonderful quilty day!

Max

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 3:02 PM | Locked

Oh Max - my heart goes out to you!  I am glad now that they are separated and will take that advice and store it for future reference.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 3:04 PM | Locked

Hello Gang,    I made it home.  I'm pooped and I need to unpack car.  I only took out food stuffs and tomorrow I will finish taking stuff out of car.  Brought home 2 gallons of apple cider from upstate NY.  It's so much better than what we can get here in Tn.  It's a bit more tart from the Mac apples and the cider here is a bit bland tasting.  I think I'll take fabric downstairs later and add it to my stash...hehehe 

Diana in East Tn. 

Page 73 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 71 72 73 74 75 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use