Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 12 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 11:17 PM | Locked

Debbie (Dainty):
And what is that they say ,,, no pain no gain? lol..

No, No, No!!!!  That is really "Old School"...LOL!  If it hurts while you are doing it, STOP!  You may have some discomfort after exercise, but it should never be severe.  If it is, you have over-trained and/or over-done it.  You need to take a step back and then take those baby steps forward once again.

FYI, the seniors in my group have very little if any muscle soreness at all.  (This group is from 69-97 years old...or should I say young!) They exercise for 60 minutes straight - two mornings a week...with emphasis on balance, body movement, aerobics, and a cool down with stretching.   If they can do this, so can you!!!

(from alias:  Coach Donna)

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 8:53 AM | Locked

Donna,

I had surgery on my foot about 4 weeks ago... and pins put in it. So I am takeing it veryyyyyyyyy slow. :) The pins are out now and I just started to put pressure on the foot. My legs are a little sore but its from limping. lol I have 3 more weeks to heal then its back to work. 10 hour days, So I am not gonna overdo, but I do need to keep at it. Getting going in the morning is the hardest. Once I am up and moving, the stiffness is better.

God Bless the seniors in your group. And you for helping them. That is awesome! My goal is to be able to walk (not run) the 5 k's again next year.  

Deb (Dainty) 

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:07 AM | Locked

Deb, the last time I was on disability after a surgery and I was going to be sent back to work a bit too early, I asked the doctor if I was supposed to be in this much pain. He stopped and looked at me and said "Where is the pain." So I showed him, and he checked it out, and I got two more weeks of disability, because I had no business going back to work in the condition I was actually in.

If you have done everything you are supposed to do, and you think you can't stand up for 10 hours when they want to send you back to work, remind him that you don't have a sit down job, and tell him were the pain is and when the pain is. You might get a bit more time to heal.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:07 AM | Locked

Good Morning!!! It's a brand new day, and a brand new month! Just imagine the possibiliies.... :)

Charlie Brown had me up early this morning, so I got a jump start on my day. He's happy to sing to a sun beam for now. The rest of the crew is taking advantage of Saturday and sleeping in. LOL

The sky was brilliant red this morning when I got up, and the daylight light is still very orangish on account of the smoke from the forest fires west of here. We're more then 100 miles from the nearest fire, but I can smell the smoke. I don't imagine we'll see much blue in the sky today. Last night we got wind but no rain to clear the air. I had a gentleman from PA come through the museum the other daya nd tell me that he and his wife were celebrating his retirement with a trip to Glacier park, but the smoke was so bad there that they couldn't see much so they decided to tour MT instead. I feel bad that he missed out on the great views because of polution issues....but Hey! He got to meet me and Sprout, so maybe that was a balm. LOL Mrs. PA was just tickled no end when she got to carry the baby around while she looked at the displays. (Shhh--don't tell her, but I was jus using her to give my aching arms a rest!)

I picked another over-grown zucchini yesterday (They hide so well!!). Think I'll  go turn it into fritters for brunch...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:28 AM | Locked

Happy September, All. Gotta get ready for my big sister's birthday. She will be the big 68!!

Did anyone happen to see the blue moon last night? I totally forgot to look. But was not up very late.

Today is just beautiful. Would like to go for a nice ride somewhere. But, will wait till I can get a new camera so I can take pictures.  Besides this a Labor Day weekend and every single mountain town, including ours, will be packed with people. Will just hide out at home and sew.

Have a great day.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:34 AM | Locked

You to Sukochi, we are still getting the much need rain here so ,I am not complaining about it at all ,its cool but humid so the air is still on. We have more rain inthis last day and half then we have had all summer its nice.  ANd I can  hear my wind chimes gently  singing this morning ,

Happy birthday to your sister.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:49 AM | Locked

You MIGHT- that is the key.  I was off for an extended period of time after I slipped on the Ice and tore the gluteal musle 3/4 of the way off my backside.  The Dr kept extending my sick leave because I couldn't sit (and I had a siiting job at the time).  Finally, the company sent me to one of their medical "experts" who determined that I could return to work.  Back to work I went, Had to get a special  cushion to sit on, that didn't work and within 4 hours I was back out with back spasms that lead to 3 more months of sick leave.   I never want to repeat that.  Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 10:01 AM | Locked

chocake2:
I picked another over-grown zucchini yesterday (They hide so well!!). Think I'll  go turn it into fritters for brunch...

Oh, oh, oh can I come for brunch.  That sounds like just the perfect way to use overgrwn zucchini.   Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 10:19 AM | Locked

Sure Ginny. The more the merrier! I'm makeing lots.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 10:29 AM | Locked

picked another over-grown zucchini yesterday (They hide so well!!). Think I'll go turn it into fritters for brunch...

Lucky you chocake,

Ive just arrived home from holiday to find the 2 greenhouses with tomato plants in are now down to 1 due to the weather conditions blight has killed off one greenhouse full about 14 plants, we normally pick over a 100 lbs of tomatos i will be lucky to get 20lbs this year it has been such a bad year with the weather i wonder if some of you have had similar problems.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 10:57 AM | Locked

Debbie (Dainty):
My goal is to be able to walk (not run) the 5 k's again next year.  

That is great, and I will bet you will!  We have one senior whose major goal was to be able to move his irrigation pipe by the next summer.  Well, you can't do that with a cane (and he has had two hip replacements [one an emergency]).  With persistance and being a regular with our group he achieved his goal.  I think he is 87 (or close to it).

As we age, we do run into some limitations, but overall slow and steady wins the race for us!

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 35
Beatrice replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:42 AM | Locked

Great keep it up. Maybe nexgt year i can do something like that. This year i have 2 more weeks of school and then a 5 week intership unpaid for my new career. Homewpork rules this weekend unfortunly. No quilting sewing flor a few mofre weeks.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 1:15 PM | Locked

I just tried to post a message containing website addresses related to senior exercise, but it will need approval before it posts. 

Several of you have contacted me about exercise programs since I agreed to be Sukochi's "exercise coach."  Obviously, doing this remotely takes time and careful discriptions and I do have concerns for people doing exercises that have not been OK'd by their physician.  Some people have restrictions and limitations that I may not be aware of.

So, I will try again by telling anyone who is interest...you can google "National Institute on Aging".  Be sure you select the one that has "nih.nia.gov" at the end!  You will see a slideshow of photos in the center top with numbers below it.  Click on #2 and it will bring up the "Go4Life" Program.  Click on the arrow at the end of the discription in the photo and it will take you to this program.

Poke around a bit, but be sure to click on "Resources" in the drop down menu bar and then click on "Exercise Guide and Video".  You can order these FREE from NIH/NIA.  They are excellent guides for seniors to start exercising with moderation. (We give a copy of this CD to all of our exercise class participants. They are instructed to use the video anytime they cannot attend the class with us.)

These might be too simple for you, but on the other-hand if you haven't exercised in a long time, they might be  just what you need.  If they don't work for you, be sure and pass the video on to a senior you know who might benefit from it.

Good Luck and Keep Moving!  (If you have problems, let me know and I will see if I can help.)

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 28,590
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 1:36 PM | Locked

This is the first day I have attempted to get on here for a week.  Still had unread posts from last Saturday.  Between our impossible internet and the slowness of the site, I was unable to get on here to even read posts.  Tried last Friday and Saturday, even left the computer trying to connect to QCA for 5 minutes at a time, and usually got notes - - problems with the site - - or unable to connect.  I finally gave up.  Was able to get on "Did you work on a Quilt today?", but that was very slow also, so I blamed both discussions being too long since we had been getting double posts due to slowness on both.  I had been reading some posts in email form because that worked, until one day that Yahoo also had issues.  That is when I really gave up and gave the computer a rest. 

Thea, have fun with the family when they arrive and don't overdo before they come, or you will be in too much pain to enjoy them and NO CARTWHEELS EITHER.  Glad to hear you finally have the hot tub working again. 

Everyone else that isn't feeling well, feel better soon !!

I guess I have wasted enough time sitting here - need to get back to the sewing machine.  I now see the light at the end of the tunnel of wheelchair quilts.  Have 17 completely finished with 10 more nearing the finish line.  More cut out, but will take a break.  I have one set aside for Rich's 98 yr old mother, and may hold back one more for now for a friend's mother, but I think 25 will be a good start for the nursing home.  My original goal was 40, but I need to purchase more batting and flannel for the backs.  It will be good to see fewer piles of WIP all over the place.  The finished pile encourages me - 17 folded quilts is quite a site.  Need to take pictures of the 9 that haven't been pictured yet and will soon get them posted.  Should be doing that today as it is so sunny, but knowing me, I will probably plan that when the fall rains start, if they every will.  I like taking the pictures outside and hope to string a clothesline between trees this time.  The hill is too steep for me to handle the climbing up and down to lay them out.  Nearly did me in the last time.

Did I say I needed to get to the sewing machine?????  Going now.  Have a good weekend, everyone.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 2:29 PM | Locked

Donna,

It's been 7 months since I've had my foot surgery and it still gets stiff, especially in the mornings. I sit on the side of the bed and move it around a bit before standing. The nerves are still out of whack. Those will take a bit longer to come around. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Page 12 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use