rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 120
spevear Posted: Sat, Aug 25 2012 8:29 AM

Hi,

I joined 8/3/12 and just wanted to say hi.

I am a new quilter and I am really looking forward to learning new things.  I am from Ohio.  I am currently looking into buying a new machine, but I don't really want to spend a lot of money.  Any suggestions?

Have a great day!!

Sandy :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,124
Points 386,852
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 8:57 AM

Welcome Sandy.

Buy the best machine you can afford from a dealer close to you so you won't have to go far for check-ups etc. There are many good brands out there. Try a few to determine which features you like best

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,870
Points 181,808
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:27 AM

Welcome Sandy.  Ditto what Kris said.  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Welcome Sandy.  I am glad that you have joined us.  Yup - I agree with Kris and Marie.  I have a Janome as my main machine - I think Marie does too but I think she has the "next" model up from mine. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 10:09 AM

Sandy

Welcome to the site.  Hope you enjoy your time with us.  You might want to check out the Janome machines.  Sometimes you can find a really good machine at a reasonable price.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,413
Points 19,295

spevear:
I don't really want to spend a lot of money

Welcome Sandy,

I have a Bernina but it was given to me when my step-mother passed. I'm not sure how much my father paid for it, but I do know the replacement parts and additional accessories are very expensive. It's a great machine though. I agree with what everyone else has told you. A dealer is usually very helpful with problems and will usually give you class on how to use your new machine. Any other question though, all the people on these forums will be glad to help and answer your questions. I love these forums. I'm sure you will too.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,768
Points 420,339
gini replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:27 AM

hi sandy, welcome to the group.   ask at your dealer if they have any trade ins,   quilters love to get new machines and often they will have an inventory of trade-ins.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,658
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:36 PM

Hi Sandy, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:48 PM

Sandy

Alot of times dealers will sell one of their floor models at a really good price but it keeps the new warrenty.  That is how I bought my Bernina.  It had been used in the store as a demo and then the newer models were coming out so they sold it to me for a very reduced price but honored all the new warrenty stuff as well as free maintenance for 2 yrs.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,470
safrmaz replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:59 AM

Welcome Sandy :)  Where are you in Ohio?  I live in West MI and my daughter lives in the Columbus, OH area.

Everyone has given you great advice regarding a new machine.  I have a Bernina and 2 Janomes.  I love all of my machines.  There are other very good brands but I narrowed down my choices based on how far I would have to drive for support and service. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.