Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:13 AM

Hi Gini, I would be interested in knowing how the 101 class works.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 10:16 AM

Gini,

You mentioned distant towns/cities.  I have an friend in Lenore, ID.  Anywhere near you?

Caryl

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:23 AM

lenore is about 200 miles from here, it takes nearly four hours to drive there.  so not real close, but we have to drive a ways to get anywhere when you live way up here.  we're 40 miles from canada as the crow flies

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:34 AM

joan, we ask people to bring a working machine, and that is a loose interpretation,  we bring extras for  machines we can't figure out.  a machine, fabric and thread.  the  gal that runs it, picks out a easy project like a table runner with a simple pattern, or pot holders.   she tries to have one guild member per 2-3 students helping, and we bring supplies so there are enough cutting stations, etc.  we go to a quickie class with her to do the pattern ourselves,  then we show up on the appointed day.

they are taught how to use the rotary cutter.  how to read the pattern, how to do a scant 1/4 inch seam,( this isn't usually critical to the pattern, we want them to go home with a project finished if possible).   then we watch over them and trouble shoot, give tips.

when the top is pieced, they learn how to press, sandwich, and baste their project. then we show them how to quilt it.  usually stitch in the ditch or diagonal lines.     we want them to get this far so they can be shown the binding and get some stitching done on this.    the leader has stitched samples of the binding for them to take home if they don't get this far.  most of them do.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:23 PM

Thanks Gini, I joined a guild, first time, and this seems like something interesting to do. I'll have to pass this information on. Thanks again.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 208
Points 3,505
Pearl replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:21 PM

In our small town we have a group of ladies that meet and quilt once a month.  It started our as a quilt class and was held on Sat. morning so I was able to attend.  They met once a month.  There were about 8 to 10 ladies there each time but not always the same ones.  They were all so nice and would share fabrics and ideas and almost always someone brought some fabulous snack food.  We would all go out for lunch and then go back and sew. The only problem I had was they had a different project almost every month and because I worked full time I had trouble keeping up but I loved it I learned so much.  After awhile the teacher was not able to come over every month, but we still met and still called it quilt class.  Sometimes we worked on the same projects and sometimes not.  Then it got changed to a Tuesday and I was not able to go anymore.  I think they still meet and I see them sometimes and they ask me about what I am doing and we will get into the best discussions about how everyone is doing.  

I did go to the State Retreat this spring and really enjoyed it and did join the State Guild.  They are a much larger group and meet twice a year.  They have a quilt show every second year I think.  I did notice they had their groups also but on the whole most of them were pretty friendly.  When I was in the class there were some really nice ladies in there and oh my how they could sew.  I had to chuckle because there was a lady named Barbara and she was so good and made the most beautiful quilt top.  She reminded me quite a lot of the Barbara that is on here.  The lady I sat by was so very nice.  She let me use her iron and encouraged me and would tell me not to worry to just sew at my own pace.  The two of us worked out our pattern.  Also she showed me her ironing table she was using.  She said she bought a wooden TV tray that she got at Menard's and covered with a pad and an ironing board cover.  She sat it between us and set her iron on it and the two of us shared it.  It was lower than the table we were working on and was perfect to use as we did not have to get up to go iron.  When class was over, she just folded it up.  I had a really good time and am looking forward to going back this next month.  

I do miss the amaller group but for now am pretty happy to do what sewing I can fit it on my own and maybe learn new things taking classes at the retreats.   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:26 PM

Pearl:
there was a lady named Barbara and she was so good and made the most beautiful quilt top.  She reminded me quite a lot of the Barbara that is on here. 

Pearl, that was really sweet of you to say.  I hope Barbara gets to see this when she gets back from her Ohio retreat.  She'll be so pleased!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 208
Points 3,505
Pearl replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:33 PM

Nancy

I think I would like to meet her.  She seems like such a swell person.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:48 PM

She is!  You'll have to try to get to one of the QCA regional retreats.  She seems to get to a lot of them!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 208
Points 3,505
Pearl replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:10 PM

That is on my "to do" list.  Des Moines one would be doable.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:18 AM

This Fall wil be the second year belonging to my local guild.  We have over 100 members, andI was afraid of not fitting in or not feeling welcome.  But on the contrary, they were very nice and I have enjoyed it tremendously.  Love the workshops and guest speakers.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 9:09 AM

Yes I do I live in King George Va we have one here and also belong to the ASG in Richmond 

Happy

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 9:37 AM

Thank you all so much for your input.  It sounds like there are a lot of diff types of guilds out there!  Wow!  I'm not sure why it seems that snooty people seem to join guilds.  Do they actually "get their hands dirty" and quilt or just socialize? Hmmm...  Maybe they can affor lots of the pricey material from the LQS. :)

If anyone has any more input, I'd still appreciate your thoughts.  I guess I just need to decide if it's the best use of my time to go or not.  Am I getting anything out of it?  Do I enjoy myself while I'm there?  Right now, I think I'd say no to both.  I'll have to look around and see who else is out there.

Thanks again everyone!  Happy quilting!

Viki

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 10:55 AM

Vicki, when I wanted to restart my quilting after taking a class 30 years prior, I found out that the senior center had a quilting group.  They do hand quilting and always donated a quilt to the senior center to be used for a raffle each year.  We have now taken a slightly different approach- we still do hand quilting for various uses and also on commission for private parties.  Some of the ladies direct their talents to making various items for a couple of hospice groups.  You should see the Alsheimers quilts that one lady makes to occupy some alzheimers patients needs to constantly be doing something with their hands.  We even make little girls dresses and quilts for the homeless and tote bags for foster children so they have a way to tote their belongings with them if they are moved from home to home.   We have to keep busy with all of these things to utilize all of the fabric and fiber fill and quilt bats that are donated to us.    It feels good to be part of such a group.   Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 6:10 PM

Ginny:
You should see the Alsheimers quilts that one lady makes to occupy some alzheimers patients needs to constantly be doing something with their hands. 

As VP in charge of charity quilts for the guild this year, that is what I intend to introduce to the members - fidget quilts.  The local care center said they would take 30 or more of these as fast as we can sew them.  They'll look something like this...

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use