Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi Posted: Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:51 AM

I store my patterns in a file cabinet by design, i.e. Seasonal, Star, Log Cabin, Appliqué, etc. How do all of you store your patterns? Also, do you tear the patterns form your magazines, or, keep the magazines intact with pages marked? I mark pages and store the magazines by month and year of publication in magazine holders.

Also, I have two antique pieces in which I store fabric and all my books and magazines. Is there a better way? I was thinking kitchen cabinets would get more flat surface space and storage in cabinets and drawers. One of my pieces has 6 shelves where I store fabric and magazines. The other has three shelves where I store all my quilt books.But there is no usable  flat surfaces on top, as they are tall.  Any suggestions?

We can never get too much input from fellow quilters. One tip just might change the whole way we store all the "stuff" of quilting.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,410
Points 19,550

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
But there is no usable  flat surfaces on top, as they are tall.  Any suggestions?

I bought 2 lateral file cabinets. I store all my patterns in those. I could another one though. They are made of wood grain so you can use them as tables or to put other items on top of. My husband made me a cutting table that's built in so I store my file cabinets under the table for more floor space. I also have a walk in closet in that bedroom. I have a total of book shelves, 3 in the closet and one outside the closet in the room. He also put up shelves on the wall where I store my magazines in magazines holders like you. It's not a big room so I have to go up. The cutting table is pretty big though so I don't have much floor space. Going up helps.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
ngw333 replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:05 PM

I photocopy patterns/directions/quilts from magazines or from quilting books that I check out from the library.  I then store in folders according to type. Less bulk then storing magazines. If I find a quilt that I like because of either design or colors, I will put a color photocopy in a 3-ring binder labeled ideas.  I write on the back the book/magazine/folder where the directions are located.  That way I can browse my IDEA book of quilts that I am interested in making.  I store small pieces of fabric (fat quarters/strips/large scraps) in a wire rack with wheels which has a top (from Container Store).  They come in many sizes (tall, short, wide, narrow).  I store the carts in a walk in closet but can wheel them out if I want to look at the fabric.  The wire mesh allows air to circulate.  If I have all the fabric and materials sorted for a quilt, I will put all the things in a 2 gallon zip-lock bag along with a photocopy of the quilt or pattern that I intend to make. When I want to start a new project, then I can just pull out my bag and start working. After many trial and error methods, I have found that the best way for me to store rulers and templates is on the back of the door of the sewing room.  THe door is right next to my cutting table.  I have put up a pantry type door rack that has mesh baskets and use that for the various rulers. For long rulers, I have attached a hook over the door on which I can hang a big ring to hold the longer rulers. On the door to the walk in closet, I have an over the door towel rack with 4 bars for hanging quilts in progress.  On the inside of the door, I have an over the door coat each with multiple levels of hooks.  I hang finished seam binding or  long strips of fabric for strip quilting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,715
Points 248,487
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:11 PM

Oh my gosh - you are so organized...lol... I have a couple big boxes of magazines - I used to have them on a shelf but when Mom came and I gave up the big room I had to box them up - those boxes are very very heavy...

My boxes of quilt patterns too are very heavy - I go through them and drool every so often on things that I have wanted to do and still have on my list... I am thinking of going through them again shortly and taking all the patterns that I do not think I will ever use to Walnut Place in October to see if any of those ladies might like them... 

My fabric right now is stored everywhere - a lot got put on the shelves that we have built in the little room - part of them are shelves that Jay made me then I bought a big Ikea bookshelf and use it too - plus I have fabric in tubs and plastic 3 and 4 drawer units - and the fabric that I am using in the quilts I am making right now are next to my sewing machine... I have the tubs in this room and my bedroom - the drawer units are in the little room , the front living room, the hallway in front of my bedroom and my bedroom.... I do have quite an extensive stash though - and I am  hopeful that I will get to using it up soon... I may just start giving it away though too and keeping what I just can't let go - hahaha - do you see how much I will keep - but the move to MN is pushing me to stop hoarding...lol

I remember when this Stash started being built and laughing about quilters who had huge stashes that I would never do that - well that old saying never say NEVER is true... I have one of those stashes that needs a building of its own...and it is all fabric bought from quilt shops...lol

Anyone want me to include you in my will!  LOL - you will have to wait I hope a long time....

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:12 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Also, do you tear the patterns form your magazines, or, keep the magazines intact with pages marked? I mark pages and store the magazines by month and year of publication in magazine holders.

One word of advice...  Check the magazines website 3 to 4 weeks after receiving an issue.  Often there are corrections posted that you'll want to print and file with those patterns.  Quiltmaker, by their own admission, had a miserable time with their last issue and they have corrections posted for 5 of the patterns!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 1:51 PM

Thanks, all. Nancy, I had no idea that the magazines printed errors. you would think they would go over those instructions with a fine tooth comb BEFORE the issue was printed. That is just wrong.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,715
Points 248,487
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 2:40 PM

Sukochi, I learned this when I was making quilts for Easy Quilts for Jodie - I like you thought for sure they were just "perfect"  I found out different - and what I found out what that they are so under time constrictions that they can't always check everything out and a lot of the patterns are written from programs and if you put just the wrong value in then you are sunk... The reason for the time constrictions is not always their fault either - they are waiting for fabric lines that have been promised to be there and aren't - so they have to quick get something else to fill that spot... They do their best!  And what is good though too is that when they make a mistake they do admit it - as soon as possible.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 2:48 PM

You think about it, every form of publication probably has the same problems. Like OUR newspaper, cookbooks, library books, etc.  And, by the time you get the correction notice, the mess has already been made. That must be the reason for the saying," Read the instructions first"!

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 4:01 PM

thats why they say read the instructions AND make a test block!! Actually, make sure you understand the directions.  Even if its out a 1/4 inch, thats a lot over the whole quilt or even a block

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 426
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 7:19 PM

I have most of my patterns organized into binders with transparent sleeves. Some of the patterns are just printouts, while others contain templates or quilting designs. They were initially put into the binders by categories, although my binder collection has grown so much, that they need reorganized. A lot of these I will probably never make. One of the binders has a section just for projects I have made. So, when I finish a one of the patterns, it gets moved to that section.

I do keep magazines and they are organized into magazine holder by month. I have not been good about keeping track of quilts that I liked. There have been so many, over the years, that I wouldn't have been able to make them all, anyway. I've never found a good way to do this. Has anyone else?

When I do decide to make a project, I keep the magazine or pattern out and place it into a box or bin of it's own, along with all the supplies I currently have. As I purchase fabric or other supplies specific to the project, I put them into the box or bin. Then, when I am ready to work on it, I have everything together.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 3:55 PM

Hello from TX.

I've been asked about my storage of fabrics and patterns a lot lately. So far I have been keeping binders with specific quilts pictures and instructions in plastic sleeves.  I place 2 in each sleeve, back to back so I can see the pics.  I think I have finally found my personal favorite this summer...using a copy wand to capture the quilt top and it's instructions and loading it onto a flash drive.  I can label and arrange them as I go.  This way I won't have shelves full of books with things I don't want in them and more room for my stash.  I realize it will take some time each day or whatever to get this going,

Just my thoughts..Caryl

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 16,495
Susan replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 5:28 PM

Caryl, I like your idea!!! will try that myself, what a space saver. Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 5:38 PM

Caryl:
using a copy wand
Caryl, What is a copy wand?

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:00 AM

LuJuan,

A wand is a hand held scanner.  Sorta like the scanners in stores only programed to copy.  Look under "hand held scanners"  on line and you will find many.  Lots of college students use it for copying reference material without having to write it all long hand or type it all on their lap tops. 

I also have stored all the pictures of my quilts on a flash drive and am currently labeling them and making a slide show for myself.  Great inspiration!

Caryl

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:33 AM

Caryl:

LuJuan,

A wand is a hand held scanner.  Sorta like the scanners in stores only programed to copy.  Look under "hand held scanners"  on line and you will find many.  Lots of college students use it for copying reference material without having to write it all long hand or type it all on their lap tops. 

I also have stored all the pictures of my quilts on a flash drive and am currently labeling them and making a slide show for myself.  Great inspiration!

Caryl

Caryl, I love the new technology but shy away from some of it because I don't think I could learn it.  Tell me a little more about the wand, is it capable of copying the boxes of photos I have accumulated over my many years?

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use