Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 17,545
Brigit-Carol Posted: Fri, Aug 17 2012 9:50 AM

I am joining another square swap and this one is Autumn rustic cabin.  I found a great print which turned out to be a bit dark, so I bordered it with green to sort of bring out the colours.  Now I have to decide on the other colours/ patterns.  I had two pieces in my stash I thought would work.  I made up two flying geese units but can't decide if they go well or not.  Or if they do go OK, which one to use.  This will end up being an 8 pointed star.  Would you please tell me what you think?  If you think I need to start over with new fabrics (except the cabin and green frame), then could you be specific?  I will be making around 20 of these so would like not to purchase more than one other fabric. Oh, and excuse the mistake on the right goose -- I'm still learning how to make fabric go the way I want it to.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 155
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,209
Points 16,230
Susan replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:23 AM

I like the one on left side. Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:27 AM

I like the one on the right, (as you are looking at the picture).  It seems to me to pull the orange and yellow  out of the cabin picture, and lets the green really stand out more. 

It's a hard decision because both ways look nice.  You put some good color combinations together.

Max

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
quiltclown replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:33 AM

I think your choices are gorgeous!  The brown appears as wood grain that complements the cabin.  The gold print is a perfect bright and your green evokes the woodsy feel. Well done!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:37 AM

I like the right side better also , great colors

[Ava, Missouri

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:00 AM

I think either one would work, but I prefer the one on the left

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

I know you don't want to hear this, but I like both of them. I think it depends on what colors you would like to bring out of the cabin square. The fabrics you picked are perfect together. The colors you picked are just gorgeous together. I know you'll make the right choice. There is really not a wrong choice. Great job.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,720
Points 121,440

I like the one on the right better, I think it pulls the colors better. But, if you still can't decide I can give you a little trick my mother taught me. I couldn't decide on which dress to buy for my wedding over 50 years ago. I kept trying on the two choices. Out of patience, mom said "I've decided, take that one".  I was disappointed and told her so. She said "Good, that's how you decide. Make a decision and if you're disappointed you know you've made the wrong one". Works for me. Well, maybe not always, but sometimes! LOL

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:16 AM

i like them both, why not do half one way and half the other, it will add more interest to the quilt.  alternate the light and dark stars

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:21 AM

i like the one on the right.  i also see a blue in the center block and hope you can use it somewhere in the quilt as well.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,327
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 12:11 PM

I am particular to framing it with the brown geese - then the gold and orange will pop - are you going to do flying geese on the top and bottom too - and then what color will you use for the squares in the corners - will you pull out the green again?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,461
Points 40,975
Mimi replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 1:34 PM

gini:
i like them both, why not do half one way and half the other, it will add more interest to the quilt.  alternate the light and dark stars

Belfrybat - Gini's thoughts are exactly what I was thinking.  That way you don't have to make a decision.  The quilt will have more motion and interest using both.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 305
Points 5,880
Aleta replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 1:44 PM

I prefer the one on the right.  I think it pulls out the oranges and yellows in the center block better.  I love these colors and this pattern.  So beautiful!  I love autumn.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 17,545

Thank you for your replies -- looks like we are evenly divided.  <grin>  To clarify, this is a swap, so we each make identical squares, send to the hostess, and receive back a square from each participant.  So I won't be making a whole quilt from just this one square.  But if I did, making them half and half would certainly solve the issue.  My concern (which you have all answered) was the russet leaf pattern might be too busy with the cabin square.  But from your responses,  apparently not.

I didn't want to waste fabric by making up 4 sets of flying geese besides deciding, but, yes, the flying geese will surround the center square making an 8 pointed star with the corners corresponding with whatever colour the center of the goose is.   With that information, would you think having the russet leaf pattern touching the green (Right in my pic) make things too busy?     

Brigit-Carol

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use