To wash or not to wash the Great debate

Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 40 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
ngw333 replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:24 PM

I wash most of my fabric.  I put pieces smaller than a yard in lingerie bags to wash.  I love to put a good movie on the TV, set the ironing board at the lowest level, pull up my chair and iron to a good movie.  After, I wash and iron, I put a small safety pin at one end of the fabric.  In the future, I know that piece has been washed.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:46 PM

ngw, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 1,100
Cathy J replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 5:04 AM

I wash fabrics for my quilts or placemats, really anything I know will be washed alot. But for wall hangings or pillows I don't wash.

My allergies are from the dust in the fabrics and not chemicals. The chemicals do dry my hands though.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 415

I saw this idea on you tube and couldn't remember exactly how it was done.

Thanks for posting this.   I hate the tangled mess.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 170
Alexis B. replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 5:13 AM
I tried to pre-wash when I got started a few months back, but the strings of fury! THE HORRIBLE KNOTS! THE TERROR OF TANGLES! This idea sounds hopeful for the frightful fraying, but the wretched wrinkles still scare me. Like most of us, I buy all the fabric I can if it's a deal, meaning bolts of it. The wrinkles are so bad that I can't ever get them out. Also, doesn't everyone iron and starch fabric they don't wash? My non-crafting mother can't understand how I can enjoy a task that takes as much ironing as quilting. I feel like I'm married to my iron even though I don't pre-wash. Sounds like the washers do it with a smile because they enjoy ironing, but I iron just as much (just not as hard since they aren't as creased.)

Alexis B. of Surrey, BC

Canadian, American, and future Israeli!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 11:29 AM

i put them in the dryer until they are almost dry.  fold smooth, fold smooth,   i don't do a lot of ironing.

when i forget to take them out soon enough, yeah i get to iron our the wrinkles an pull off the tangles,  they just don't bother me that much.  i have more important things to worry about than fabric tangles.   like what after school snack the kids won't turn their noses up at, where's the quilt i seem to have lost,  when  am i going to lunch with mom, why i'm being infiltrated by tree frogs,

these days  i mostly worry about how in the world all the frogs are getting in my house.   the screen door  is closed, they seem to be congregating around the sink maybe the window has an opening.  they hop into my house, get on the carpet, turn very pale trying to turn ecru, and die. i am removing, dried dead,  nearly dead or still hopping critters every morning.

don't worry nancy, they don't get all the way back to your bedroom.  they can't hop that far, i guess.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 11:32 AM

our friends that brought their 4-y-o grandson this summer, say he still talks about frog hunting at my house.  we caught frogs all day in the ponds and he caught frogs at night on my deck. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 415

Gini,  If they are tree frogs we are having the same issues in Spokane.   I also heard on the news the other day that they are PROTECTED!  How can that be, we are seeing more this year than ever before.  My Shi Tzu tries to catch them.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 2,270
Sherry replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:53 PM

I know what you mean. I got tired of the tangles, threads, etc. Decided not to EVER pre-wash again. I don't  mind the "wrinkled" look after washing a quilt, in fact, I like it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 2,270
Sherry replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:55 PM

and I like ironing, which I do before I use the neatly folded fabric for a quilt.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 9:11 PM

It depends I used to prewah all my fabric if it for applique in particular wall hanging I usually dont bother washing anymore. If it is for a lap or bed quilt I sometimes do.

Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use