Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 40 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 285
Linda Posted: Wed, Aug 15 2012 11:46 PM

I have had allot of issues with washing fabrics... the whole tangled so badly you cant even get the wrinkles out with an Iron... Its a wonder most of us rather not wash ... the fabric that is... I have no idea if anyone else has this idea what I found is i unfold the fabric i lay it out and accordion fold it safety pin one end with about a pen every 2 inches so if one pin comes loos the fabric still stays folded then i do the same with the other end ... i have found i can do about 6 yards @ a time with out worrying the pins are to small and wont hold.... when you wash the fabric it stays nice and neat.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 6:40 AM

Linda

That is a neat idea.  I am one of those that doesn't wash.  So far I haven't had a problem with bleeding so  I will probably continue to not wash...LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 7:22 AM

Linda intresting idea.  I myself don't pre wash anything . So far I've not had a problem either. but I do wash all my quilts on gentle cycle and cold water.I never put them in the dryer. I hang them on the clothes line and air dry . I may stick then im the dryer for a few minutes to soften then alittle . no more then five mins. So far this has worked great for me. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 8:27 AM

I don't pre-wash my fabric either.  I like to crinkly look after everything has shrunk a  bit.  I also figured that if I pre-washe my fabric then I'l have to pre-wash batting as well.  In my mmd not pre-washing helps them shrink together?  Silly logic?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 8:30 AM

I used to be one of those that pre-washed every scrap of fabric.  also had issues with it tangling, especially when I had many yards to wash.  I would only partially dry, then go to the ironing board and press the fabric dry.  A  LOT of time was spent on this.

Then several years ago I started several Stack-n-Whack quilts, using Bethany Reynolds patterns, and her instructions were to NOT wash the fabric first.  So much easier... I do pretest my fabrics by snippping a small sample and immersing in hot, soapy water.  Must be the process the manufacturers use now, for I have had very, very few samples that bleed (blead?)  So now I do not pre-wash, saves so much time. I also have been using a lot of jelly rolls in my quilts - impossible to prewash these because you lose too many threads to raveling and won't get your accurate measurements.

Fortunately, I am not one of those people that  have allergic reactions to the chemicals in the fabrics.  if the fabric is badly wrinkled, I will mist it heavily with plain water and press.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 10:52 AM

Lola B:

Fortunately, I am not one of those people that  have allergic reactions to the chemicals in the fabrics.  if the fabric is badly wrinkled, I will mist it heavily with plain water and press.

I have not been a pre-washer, except when I have been worried about a fabric bleeding.  After a few tries with the washer/dryer and the tangles I have just hand-washed in very hot water until any/all excess dye is removed. 

But lately, I have been noticing whenever I bring new fabric into my sewing room to iron or cut, I start having sneezing fits! (My fabric is stored in a different room.)  I am getting worried that I am having a reaction to the chemicals and will need to start washing everything.  Don't like that idea at all!!!

Thanks Linda for the pleating and safetypin idea!  I am going to try that - maybe in the near future.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:36 PM

Annie:
I also figured that if I pre-washe my fabric then I'l have to pre-wash batting as well.  In my mmd not pre-washing helps them shrink together?

Annie, that's my thinking, too.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:39 PM

MNnancy:

Annie, that's my thinking, too.

Nancy, does that mean I am finally part of the great minds club???

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:42 PM

Well, if it puts me there with you, I say ALL RIGHT!!!  Nana can be our fearless leader.  Our goddess Gini is disqualified because she is a determined pre-washer.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:45 PM

I'm in great company, I'm honored

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:50 PM

When I first started quilting about 15 years ago, I washed everything.  I now only wash flannel that is going to be a backing for a regular cotten fabric top because of how much it shrinks and each manufacturer shrinks differently.  If I'm using all flannel for both front and back, I don't prewash it.  I've never had a problem and I have lots of flannel quilts and flannel backed ones and they wash and dry beautifully.  Cold water and low temp for drying.  I don't have an outside clothesline(wish I did). 

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 12:34 AM

MNnancy:
 Our goddess Gini is disqualified because she is a determined pre-washer.  

wait, hold on just a minute, can you disqualify a GODDESS, over anything?   i don't think so.  you are a nut, nancy.

i prewash because i don't like breathing and handling all the pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, and ickycides they imbue the fabric with, so they can park it  in wearhouses or shipping containers, without it getting eaten or  disintegrating.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 12:37 AM

for some reason, the fraying wrinkled fabric coming out of the dryer doesn't irk me one whit.  i kinda like ironing fat quarters.   but if anyone tells sam this, i will deny it 'til the cows come home.

we are going to be in the 90's the next few days.    yech.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,369
Points 48,695
Ginny replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:26 AM

Gini,   I have been waaiting to see the quilts that you won ribbons for and they haven't shown up on my computer yet.  Did I somehow miss them?   Ginny

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:51 AM

Ginny go over to blogs and she has one posted in the quitlshow. Its the thread with the letter PP something. I can't remember the rest. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use