Top 10 Posters

Vintage Quilt Help

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
rachelrodgers posted on Wed, Aug 15 2012 6:50 PM

I purchased a vintage quilt from a thrift store in Raleigh, North Carolina today. The quilt is really lovely and is made out of a cotton fabric and is hand stitched. Does anyone have an idea of what time period this quilt could be from? We love it. 

Thanks for any guesses or advice! 

Rachel

!

I

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 10:16 PM

I am by no means an expert but by just looking at some of the fabric ,I'm guessing  40's or 50's  now I could be way off. .Sure is a pretty quilt.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:32 AM

I am thinking 50s but that is purely a guess.  I was going by the prints on the fabrics.  Very pretty quilt. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Rachael,

I would also guess the late 40's. It is a very lovely quilt and it looks like it was cared for and taken care of. I would suggest that if you are to wash it, that you would instead soak it in Retro Clean and use a sheet to move it from the tub to the outside to air dry. It will help you take care of it too!

Judylee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Judy Lee , what is Retro Clean,? I have never heard of this . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55

Thank you so much everyone for the input.

Thanks again! Rachel :)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Barbara,

Retro Clean is a cleaning soak that came out a year or so ago. You mix it 3 tablespoons to a gallon  of water, dissolve and then soak your older fabrics in it. I usually use 2 gallons of water and place my foot tub outside in the sunshine and it gentle cleans to age stains, water stains and fade marks off of antique textiles.  I have used it on my  quilts and on several customer quilts( with their permission of course). It is so gentle and I guess the sunshine is what makes the difference.  But always remember to lay quilts out quickly because wet color laying on a light colored fabric will bleed. It take those marks out too.

I just like it,

Judylee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Judy Lee thank you ,I will have to keep an eye open for this ,as I have some older quilt from my late mother in law that could use a good gentle cleaning.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use