How to mitre?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
655 Posts
Points 16,585
Brigit-Carol posted on Wed, Aug 15 2012 12:53 PM

I am working on a block that needs a 6-1/2" center piece.  The "fussy" I have looks much better when cut at 4-1/2", so I'd like to border it with a solid fabric to bring it up to 6-1/2".  But it won't look good if I just stick a strip of fabric on the sides without mitering it.  Does anyone know of a tutorial or could you provide instructions on how I do that?  I'm sure I can figure it out, but I'd lay odds there are some tricks that would make it easier.  Thanks!   

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Here is a tutorial on mitered borders.  It is the same idea as you need for bordering you fussycut piece.

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/mitering_borders.htm

Max 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

And here is a video, if that is easier for you. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUh7MbELkXs

Have fun!

Max

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
655 Posts
Points 16,585

Many thanks -- both were helpful. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,407 Posts
Points 19,560

MaxNTopeka:
And here is a video, if that is easier for you.

I have to thank you also. I have never even tried a mitered corner as it scares me to death. I happened upon this thread and checked out both of your suggestions. I am now going to try a mitered corner for the baby quilt I am doing for my god-daughter. Thank you so much. It's not so scary any more.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 10:09 PM

Don't cha'll just love this place, you can just get answers to all our questions . it is so fantastic. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Thank heaven for these wonderful computers!  What would we do without them? 

Ya'll have fun with your miters. They can sure add a lot to your blocks and quilts.

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,407 Posts
Points 19,560

Barbara,

Isn't that the truth. I just love this place!!!!!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 6:42 AM

I am glad the videos helped you ladies.  Miters really aren't hard once you get the hang of it.   Have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 455

Oh how happy I am to have found QCA!!!  I am brand new at quilting and am at the point of attaching

borders to  my quilt.  I was so scared of attempting mitered corners before I was this video.  Now I

know that I can do this!  Thanks to everyone who posts to this particular board because we beginners

need all the help we can get.  Love you all.

Audrey Fisher ( until you get to know me and then I'll be AudieSue)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
625 Posts
Points 9,315

I started a new quilt that is built up squares and boarders.  I didn't miter the sashing around the first square (log cabined it) and it's ok.  But I did miter the next set (going from center, working outward).  It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.  I'm confused by the 2+2+length+2+2 +1/2.  It seems to be there are 2 exta 2's there.  I just needed 2 extra inches on each end to get the 45deg angle.  I'm just kind of going by the seat of my pants though.  I was actually surprised at how well it's going.  So far, so good.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 10:41 PM

AudieSue

Where are you from?   You look so familiar in your avatar.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 10:46 PM

MaggieNae

Generally you need to add whatever the width of your border is to the length to make it long enough to miter.   Sometimes I add a little extra just to be sure.    Say you are adding a 6 in border than you need to add at least 6 in to the length of your border on both ends.   So if you are adding a 6 in border on a 50 in length you will need to a border at 62 inches to make sure there is enough on each end to miter.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 455

Nana, I am from Hayward, CA now residing in Campbell, CA which is part of the San Jose Bay Area.

Where are you from?  Could you possibly have gone to Hayward High school?  It's interesting that I look familiar to you.

AudieSue

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use