Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 2,455
nitchals Posted: Tue, Jan 5 2010 8:20 PM

I am grid quilting a XXXX design.  I am using a quarter inch quilting foot (shown below).  I thought the guide would be helpful to not have to draw everything out first, so I set the guide at an inch and went to work.  I did the whole set of diagnal lines (one way) and now I am going back to do the cross lines.  I am finding that I am getting more puckers where the two lines meet than I would like.  Suggestions for how I should do this differently, it's my first time trying this style. 

Thanks in advance!

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

My guess is you need to pin the layers closer together. So, if you have your pins at about a 5" spacing, you need it to be 4". The other thing you might do is slow down when you come to a cross line and make sure your kind of pulling the fabric away from both sides of the needle so the fabric is perfectly flat.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:12 PM

My suggestion would be to go slower and make sure the fabric is pulled taut at the intersections of stitching.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,171
Points 387,732
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:23 PM

I agree with Judy and Nana. I don't think the foot and guide are the problem. You need to keep both hands flat on the quilt to keep it taut as you sew.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Tue, Jan 5 2010 10:56 PM

I never do well without using a walking foot to help pull the top layer with the bottom layer.  I never tried the guide before.  I tend to just eye it but I also don't get things perfectly straight or even.  I guess I'm not much help here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:04 PM

I agree Jeanine.  The walking foot is a big help when you have multiple layers and bulk to sew.  But if you want straight lines you have to mark your quilt top with the walking foot.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,171
Points 387,732
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:52 PM

I didn't think of a walking foot as my machine has built in dual feed. You ladies are so right about needing some sort of even feed.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
MauraP replied on Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:03 AM

I recently diagonally quilted a wallhanging.  I used my walking foot and I went diagonally both ways thinking that  I wouldn't sew my wallhanging out of square.  I, did, however mark it all with an air erasable marker first, but I found then that the sewing went very fast because I had a sewing line to follow.  I did not seem to have trouble with puckers, and I was very pleased with the results.  GOOD LUCK!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,247
Points 254,352
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:38 AM

Nitchals - I find that when I do cross grids on my quilts - i do my lines about 2" apart - 1" seems a little close to me but it probably doesn't matter the distance.  i use my regular foot - not my 1/4" foot so that the fabric is under a full foot from side to side.  I really don't worry too much about the puckering but can't say i ever really noticed any - hmmm - but when i am sewing I hold my hands in a triangle around the area and sew that area - move my hands and sew again - so I might be holding it down more then you are.  You might try going slower and letting out your stitch length - i set my stitch length about 3.5 or 4 for machine quilting.  You are just securing the layers together ...this was one of the mistakes I made when first starting to machine quilt - i sewed the stitches as close as when I stitch the seams together at 2.5 and found if I made them bigger it was much better.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 2,455
nitchals replied on Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:10 AM

Thanks guys.  I've really tried to hold it tight, maybe I'll try the walking foot.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,782

Nitchals--

The quilt I'm currently working on has cross hatching and it's mostly going well.  I used 1" painter's tape to layout the gridlines which takes a bit longer than marking with a pen, but the result is nicer IMHO.  I'm trying to  hold the fabric taut as has already been mentioned and have only had one or two instances of slight puckering (which I think I can live with).  This is the quilt I'm making in quadrants, 50"x50", that will eventually become an almost king-sized quilt.  Today I'll finish the cross hatching on the 2nd quadrant and if I get the chance, I'll take a picture for posting.  Oh, and I am using a walking foot as well.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,247
Points 254,352
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:21 PM

It is funny that we talk about the walking foot - I have one on my sewing machine but I don't notice it doing anything - maybe because I learned to sew on a machine that didn't have one and I hold the fabric on both sides as I feed it through the stitching area... not sure... I know it must do something!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:53 PM

Althea

I don't notice the difference until I take it off and sew with a regular foot. Then I notice that the fabric slides alot easier and I have to hold it more secure.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,247
Points 254,352
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:47 PM

Nana - I know it has to do something...lol... I just have it on - have it off and I really don't see any difference... like i said I hold the fabric on both sides so that may be why - if I let go of the back side I bet I would see that slide...lol  so much fun isn't it...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541

If you use your walking foot with the guide attached you should only have to mark one line in each direction on the quilt.  For the rest of the lines you just line up the guide on the first sewn line and away you go.  I usually do a little bigger grid, 2-3", and have not had a problem with puckering.

Southwest Florida

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.